RM Newbie and I've fallen for MAC!

Jun 30, 2006
Hi Ladies - I've been looking at some RMs on and off but couldn't bring myself to commit. I've recently fallen for the MAC and I think I'm ready to make the plunge but wanted to ask you Minkettes a couple of questions before I decide if the MAC is really right for me.

- Size: I normally like bigger bags (think MAM size) so I'm worried about switching to a smaller bag. How much can you fit into the MAC?
- Adjustable straps: do all MACs come with the adjustable straps and how many ways can you wear it (I definitely want to wear it as a crossbody some days)
- Chains: do they rust at all? How do you care for them and keep that nice sheen going? Also, how do you store the chains in the bag so that they don't ruin the leather when you're not using the bag?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm nervous about switching to such a small bag but I've also been droolingggggggg over all of your MACs. Plus, I like to diversify my collection and I don't own an RM yet. ;)

Too bad I missed all of the online sample sales this year already. :shucks:

Fabulous choice!!!! I LOVE the MAC. Seriously, it's my favorite bag. I also own MAM's and Mini Nikki's and don't find a problem switching over to the MAC. It's definitely big enough to carry the essentials.

You should look through the "What's In Your RM" thread. That should give you a good idea of how much the MAC can hold.

Unfortunately all of the MAC straps are not adjustable but most of them are. If a MAC is adjustable it can be worn five different ways: as a clutch, cross-body, shoulder style with long strap, shoulder style with shortened strap, and with the chains draped forward. That last one is kinda hard to describe...but there are several pics floating around of it worn that way.

For the few that aren't adjustable, we have come up with some very creative ways for getting around that such as purchasing larger d-rings, having a cobbler remove a link, buying a chain strap from eBay seller silver-coach (they come in gold and silver and many different lengths, adding a small key ring, etc. There are a couple threads on that as well.

Even though the SS's have just passed there are several gorgeous MACs for sale on eBay and Bonanzle. At prices under retail too!

My oldest MAC is a year old and I have had no problems with any of my chains rusting. I have only seen one instance of this happening which I think was on the Grape Croc MAC. (It was a pinky-purplish color. Might not be grape, I can't remember)

Hope that helps some and let us know which color you decide on (and lots of pics!)

I normally carry bigger bags too, think MAB! But, I do love the MAC! It's roomy enough for the basics and I just love how it looks and that it can be crossbody. I have three and I did notice some discoloration on the chain and bottom ring (that the big dogleash clip is attached to) of my leaf MAC. Out of the three I have, each leather is completely different and that really makes or break the bag for me.

I completely thought the MAC was too small and I could never carry it but I am a total CONVERT! Here is a picture of everything I had in the last MAC I carried:

DSC05829.jpg

^ Oh and that cosmetics bag (the red one) is completely full. I did not empty it to take the picture. All that stuff was in the bag PLUS the full cos. bag. There is a pair of regular glasses in the glasses case. And I did not strain in any way to zip the bag closed, it wasn't bulgy or distorted looking, and I wasn't even using the front pocket!

I :heart: MACs!

Thanks for the responses ladies! :flowers: I've been lurking in the RM subforum a bit more in the past week and I have to say, all the ladies here seem so sweet and cute!

Tonij - is there anything you can do to prevent the discoloring? For example, I know a lot of ladies treat their leather to prevent stains. Is there anything like that for the chains? I buy a lot of leather bags but have never owned one with a chain strap.

Axcelle - holy cow girl! Okay any qualms that I had about how much it can hold are now solved thanks to your picture and stuffing abilities! LOL. Really, I was worried but if I can get as much in a MAC as you can, I'll be happy! Btw, what color is your bag if you don't mind me asking? It looks almost like a navy with some short of sheen on it. I love it!

I want to get one ASAP but I'm technically on a ban. I brought pics of the gorgeous MAC up to my SO but he isn't softening up one bit. :blah: I guess I'll be a good little girl and wait another month to get one but I'm so tempted to be a ninja and sneak it in. :sneaky:

Btw - what colors would you ladies suggest??? I'm thinking of a wine or deep red color or I saw a steel one on ebay that looked pretty delicious too. I'd love to go more bold and go with like a teal or fuschia one but I just don't think I'll wear it enough if I go for something too colorful for my first MAC. I want something that's going to look classy but be able to match quite a few things (I'm thinking maybe deep red, navy, steel or grey???) TIA ladies!

Hi! Welcome to the RM board. A lot of these questions have been answered in various threads. usually if you do a search you can find answers to what you are looking for.

As far as how much a MAC can hold:

http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-minkoff/what-can-a-mac-hold-372060.html?highlight=mac+hold

Straps: http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...ite-hook-macs-442748.html?highlight=mac+strap

And if you're looking for a specific MAC.. the girls here will keep a lookout for you:

http://forum.purseblog.com/rebecca-...r-mac-hunters-374074.html?highlight=mac+strap

There are many more as well!

As far as a color-- you can't go wrong with ANY mac!

First, Welcome to RM!

MAC's definitely hold more than you think, and are the perfect little bag for all your daily essentials. I'm sure you will LOVE it when you do get one, and be addicted.

I believe Axcelle's MAC is metallic blue (correct me if I'm wrong Ax) and just delicious!

You really can't go wrong with whatever colour you choose, but I totally hear you on wanting a neutral colour....Black and grey are great options!

Yep it's Metallic Blue - here are some better shots:

DSC05520.jpg

and with my kitty Mugsy (who for reference is a big 18lb cat)

DSC05552.jpg

I think any of the neutrals would be a good bet for a color, but they are like potato chips so be warned - you won't be able to stop with just one!

Axcelle, I think I'm in :love: with your bag. That truly is a beauty!

And I know what you ladies are talking about. I already broke my ban and signed up for the SO Wine MAC with Siggy Hardware. I just couldn't resist and would LOVE to have a MAC with the signature hw. I'm just hoping that run will actually hit 8 and go into production!

I already know I want a Steel too as a more neutral color but with a bit of pop and axcelle, that metalic blue is really TDF. When did they release that?

I'm not sure about the history on it - Desi is the person to ask about that probably - but I got this one at the online sample sale last month.

That SO is a good one, if I didn't already have a Wine MAC I would so be in on it!