Rive Gauche Perfection

taxvixen

O.G.
Aug 27, 2006
Just received a large, chocolate goatskin RG from the Houston YSL via a really nice SA from Bal Harbor who called around to track one down for me. This is my first YSL, and the bag is so completely me- the size, the shape and the soft leather are exactly what I was hoping they would be (had seen but never before touched an RG IRL) :yahoo:. Getting it at the sale price makes it a double winner.

Does anyone know the best way to protect the leather from the elements (I'm in the Chicago are where the "elements" reign supreme -- or should I say "rain" supreme" :graucho:) . I hope rain spots will not be a problem with goatskin. Also, I was wondering- the bag arrived in a silky dust bag but with no YSL box- is this typical of how bags arrive in the mail?

BTW, if anyone else is looking for either a chocolate or ivory RG the SA at Bal Harbor told me there are still some available (or at least there were as of last Saturday, the 22nd).

Last edited:
Congrats - your RG sounds stunning! As far as protection, I've used Applegarde on my downtown (which is lambskin) and my balenciaga anthra city (which is goatskin) and that's helped protect them.

Thanks so much for the responses. I will try to post a pic. Over on the Hermes board many people use Blackrock to clean and treat their bags but none of my Hermes leathers are goatskin so I'm not sure if this would work too. I will investigate Applegarde- hope it's not too hard to find. I got caught in some rain today and my bag looks fine so I'm less concerned about water spots but still want to treat the leather to protect it.

can not wait to see the pics, I am a happy owner of ivory and glazed tan, and LOVE them both (I live in harsher climate, so I left my dream about chocolate soft RG and went for glazed - not patent - stiffer, but gorgeous, and I am SURE it will not get damaged...I carry ivory in the coldest winter when everything is so white and clean

for ivory I use protector and cleaner from Balenciaga cleaning kit from "lovin my bags" http://www.lovinmybags.com/

cheers, vesna

wuhuuu i have the same RG in black ! the shape/style, straps, turnlock, and luggage tag just makes it "the bag" doesn't it? and the leather is just mushy oh delicious !

I have the RG in a medium size. If it makes you feel any better, I got caught in several downpours in New York. Actually the entire month of June was a wash out and I was hesitating to wear the bag until one day I just said the heck with it and the rest is history. It dried quickly and I've had no problem! Enjoy yours! I have never treated that bag nor any other. I'm a believer the rain never affected the animal, so touche!

Tried to post pics before I left for Paris but ran out of time. Will definitely do so when I return. As an aside, I stuffed the RG with a blanket, books, etc, and used it for my flight as one of my two carry-on bags- it held sooooo much. I brought a smaller bag with me to use for every day while I'm here, but suspect I'll use the RG too because it holds so much and on shopping days that can be handy. ;)