Rituxan while pregnant

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. That’s great that you’re meeting with the NICU director. Also speak with one of the more experienced nurses who actually care for these babies, if you can find a nurse who is not totally engulfed in caring for several critical babies at once.

2. Retinol is a skin cream, no accusations here! Lol

3. Done the NICU thing so totally know that road. Daughter spent 73 days in the NICU. Unfortunately couldn’t hold her for 10 days but did skin to skin and pumped right away which I think helped her come home a month earlier than expected. She was tiny...1 lb 10 oz. Honestly I don’t want to do the NICU again. They’re great and love every nurse that was there. I would really love to bring my baby home when I go home this time. I’m fortunate to work for such an awesome company and was able to spend every, all day with my daughter while she was there but this time would be different since I have a toddler at home.

Interesting about the withdrawal. The docs mentioned nothing about that. They said it would compromise both of our immune systems for about 2-6 months after the baby was delivered. I’m glad I asked. I need to know what info the docs are missing

God bless you for being a NICU nurse. You guys are truly amazing.

4. Oh I got the email with your original post and was initially insulted. Then realized I gave no background info (my fault) and no one here knows me so people make assumptions.

gettinpurseonal likes this.
  5. Thank you for posting the additional information. I'm sorry you're facing this decision. Best wishes to you and your baby for a safe delivery and good health.

6. Just to update everyone we’ve decided not to do the rituxan. DH and I decided that the benefits do not outweigh the risk and I’m at point in my pregnancy that if I was to get sick again, the baby would be fine and I know I would survive again (now I know the signs and I’m tested so frequently). My hematologist and his team do not agree with our decision but we strongly believe this is the right thing for both me and our son. The head of the NICU is completely against the thought of the a pregnant woman using rituxan especially when I’ve been doing so well and there’s little to no data on pregnant women taking this drug. She feels the hematologist is only looking at 1 part instead of every piece. For anyone reading this in the future I did want to clarify any posts...rituxan does not cause withdrawal for newborns but does lower their white blood cell count for about 8 weeks so making it even harder for a new born to fight infections.

7. I'm sure everything will be okay, keep updating us

Venessa84 likes this.
  8. As a pharmacist, I went straight to the drug’s prescribing information (https://www.gene.com/download/pdf/rituxan_prescribing.pdf):

“Based on human data, RITUXAN can cause fetal harm due to B-cell lymphocytopenia in infants exposed to rituximab in-utero. Advise pregnant women of the risk to a fetus. Females of childbearing potential should use effective contraception while receiving RITUXAN and for 12 months following the last dose of RITUXAN.”

However, since you’re interested in actual cases, you may be interested in reading this article:

http://www.bloodjournal.org/content/117/5/1499

I wish you and your family all the best.

Venessa84 likes this.
  9. I figured I’d come back and update everyone or anyone who some day may be going through what I went through. We ended up not doing the rituxan (best decision) and continued with the twice a week infusions as well as steroids (first a very high dose of prednisone then lowered the prednisone and started a mix of prednisone and dexamethasone). The highs and lows as well as the increase in blood sugar and blood pressure was a lot on my body but was the best course for me and the baby. I went into labor at 36 weeks and 2 days (way longer than anyone ever anticipated) and had a healthy baby boy. I wanted to take the time to thank everyone who wrote positive words. Here’s a little pic for your enjoyment: IMG_1414.JPG

HeatherGrace, Taimi, 2cello and 11 others like this.
  10. Oh, he's beautiful @Venessa84! Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing the update and his photo, and so happy everything turned out well for you and your baby! Hope you're feeling well, too! Enjoy your little bundle of joy!

Venessa84 likes this.
  11. Congratulations, I'm so glad that everyone is okay. Best wishes for the future.

Venessa84 likes this.
  12. Congratulations on your beautiful baby! Good health and happiness to you both :smile:

Venessa84 likes this.
  13. Thank you for coming back to share! He is gorgeous and so glad he and you are doing well!!!!

Venessa84 likes this.