Ring size-- do your fingers expand in the heat?

bisousx

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
I got my ring sized on the day of a random heat wave. I couldn't decide whether a size 4 1/2 or a 5 fit better, so the store decided to try a 4 3/4. It was perfect.

Now it's loose! DH says my hand must've gotten chubby in the heat. Anyways, is it rude if I ask them to resize it?

Would I have to pay?

And how do I know if a ring fits well or not?

I was trying on clothes today and I could feel the ring swishing around and I got nervous it would fall off.. that's how loose it was.

My fingers swell in the heat too. Or just when it's warm inside a store or something like that. Sometimes my fingers feel so skinny, though, that I think my rings will fall off. There doesn't seems to always be a perfect fit.

I think you might have to pay a little bit to have your ring re-sized, but it wouldn't be too much. I think, though, it takes a few days. At least my jewelery store can't do it while I wait.

My fingers go up and down in size too depending on how hot it is. It's not rude to ask to be resized, however I wouldn't expect it to be free. Many jewelers size for free once. Have you considered sizing beads? They look like balls, and are inside the band. I used to work in jewelery, and many customers liked it as an alternative option to getting their rings resized due to fluctuating finger size from swelling.

My fingers go up and down in size too depending on how hot it is. It's not rude to ask to be resized, however I wouldn't expect it to be free. Many jewelers size for free once. Have you considered sizing beads? They look like balls, and are inside the band. I used to work in jewelery, and many customers liked it as an alternative option to getting their rings resized due to fluctuating finger size from swelling.
Ditto. If the beads are uncomfortable (though few people find them to be) you can also get a sizing 'pad'. Same idea as the beads, but runs along the whole bottom of the ring. Easily polished out later if/when your fingers expand due to age/children.

To answer the title of the thread, yes, my fingers expand in the heat--about 1/4 size usually, up to 1/2 size if it's especially hot.

my fingers swell/shrink depending on whether it's hot or cold. i usually get my rings sized to fit the swollen stage because a little big is okay IMO, but too small is just plain uncomfortable, plus at times my fingers have swollen to the point where i can't get my rings off.

I recent got a ring and had the same problem. It was really hot that day and I got the bigger size - then when I went back to pick it up it was too loose! My jeweler only resizes once for free - it's pretty standard. However I'm really happy that I didn't decide to resize it to the smaller size because my fingers do get bigger every now and again! I think you should wear it for a while and see how things go.

They sure do! I wear a RHR that is comfortable and a little hard to slip off when my hands are at normal temperature, but so loose when it's cold that I worry it might fall right off. If you're not sure about getting the ring resized, I think a ring pad is a good idea.

Mine definitely swell in the summer. But usually I put on a few pounds over winter that I take off when the weather gets warmer, so it kinda evens out. ;)

I have huge knuckles, though, so my rings are nearly always loose (even though they won't fall off). After looking at these posts, I think I'm going to consider some sizing beads.

I actually use my cross sitich threads to bind the bottom of my ring. When my finger got smaller i use 3-4 threads together to bind the ring so it'll fill up the spaces between my finger and the ring. When my finger got bigger i just switch to 2 threads together to bind the ring.

yes. :yes: fingers swell in the heat. I would not necessarily resize and it does allow for when your fingers are more swollen due to heat, etc. usually, and especially in the winter, my rings always feel loose.

Whenever my hands sweat my fingers swell up to the point that I won't be able to get a ring off, but when they aren't sweaty the same ring would just slide off. This is the reason I don't wear rings, but I'm worried what will happen when it comes time for my ering.