Righteous Kill

caxe

-+-+-+-+-+-
O.G.
Mar 31, 2007
So...I hear there is a new movie coming out with Pacino and DeNiro. I have mixed feelings on it...

...on the one hand it's good to have these legends in a film again.

But on the other hand, is anyone really buying Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro as...you know...the big screen legends that they were thirty years ago? When I saw 88 Minutes I thought that Pacino was just trying too hard. So I wonder if Righteous Kill will be worth seeing. I mean, should they just hang up their hats already?

I'm biased because "Heat" is my favorite movie EVER (ok its tied with "On The Waterfront"..but still). It wont be as good as that no matter what....

But I still want to see it. I don't think either of them have any delusions that they are still 45 years old. But they are still the same men, they've still got that same whatever they always had. This movie was originally written as yet ANOTHER veteran/ young cop combo, but I guess DeNiro thought it would be a good idea if it were two veterans together, and it was rewritten. Thats not something we ever see onscreen. And if you do that, it needs to be all out, hence, you've got the two of them together. It can be a very interesting dynamic if done right.

They could be 100 and I'd still love them. I don't think there is an age limit to the acting game. Neither have given up on life (like Marlon Brando did) so I don't see any reason to stop. It IS harder and harder to get really good roles if youre over 50. Thats why I think they've been in less than stellar movies lately. No one quite knows what to do with a 60-something in a lead role, and studios don't find it sexy enough to sell. So it has little to do with the men themselves, I think.

Last edited:
i think it'll all come down to the writing. pacino and deniro can most definitely ACT, they're not legends for nothing, but the fact of it is- they can only deliver a performance as good as the script. sure, if there's awesome writing and you have pacino or deniro act in the role vs. someone less capable... well, you don't need me to tell you which will be better. but you give mediocre roles to either of these stellar actors... i don't think even they can "save" it. no actor, regardless of how good, can "save" ****ty material.

like tangerine has said, many good roles for 50+ don't exist, even if your name is pacino or deniro. so if they guys want to act, they have to take the best scripts they can get. that, or write or develop stuff themselves. this sounds like they retooled the original idea to suit both actors, so that's kind of creating opportunity where there was none.

i want to see it too. i have faith in them, but it's all going to rest on what the writer has managed to cook up.

IMO. Al PAcino, after his amazing turn in The Godfather movies, how can he top it? It's hard for an actor when their first roles are so amazing, it's hard to best those breakout performances. Lotta pressure, I can imagine.

^^^You guys have excellent points. The script is EVERYTHING.

So, now this movie is out, and I'm not sure if I want to see it this weekend. I kind of want to see "The Family That Preys." I think Tyler Perry will win. LOL.