Ridiculous TJ Maxx Pricing...

KPCoppola

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
They have no idea about retail- they see a fancy designer name and they slap a giant price tag on the item....2 examples I saw today:

Gucci short rubber rain boots, red/green striping around the top- asking $650!!!! for rain boots?? Really TJ Maxx? Because new ones are around $200-300 off of gucci.com.
Dior tall rubber rain boots, logo on the side- asking $499!!

They had some other shoes with ridiculous pricing- like Gucci weird pumps that had GUCCI written in white script on the insole.looked weird and cheap...asking $299 on clearance. They also had Prada shoes for over $400- on CLEARANCE.

I wonder how they figure their pricing...they must look at Bluefly.com :P

I wonder about any business that claims the retail values are higher so they can sell them for more on sale.
I recently went to one of those type stores and everything was over-declared and in worse condition than you could buy a new one on sale for.

TJ Maxx and Filene's Basement tend to be quirky on certain items and designers. Here's a roundup:

Bags & Shoes: overpriced (unless they're clearance)
Sunglasses: way underpriced

Designer apparel
Escada: well below retail value (for example, I bought a dress for $100 that retails for $1895)
Burberry: way above what they should be selling for
M Missoni: overpriced
Dolce + Gabbana: depends on the item, usually underpriced
Nanette Lepore: underpriced
Poleci: underpriced
catherine malandrino: overpriced
Piazza Sempione: underpriced
Brioni: overpriced

of course, these are just some of my observations having been going to these stores for over a decade ;)

a little off topic but i am always so shocked at the way they treat their designer mechandise at TJs.... designer evening gowns draggings on the floor and dirty.... overpriced designer shoes all over the floor...it's shame because good deals can be had if you wait until they go to clearance....

but yes i totally agree on the designer shoes being overpriced...its ridiculous!

^ definitely one of the biggest deterrents to shopping there...you really have to make sure whatever you buy is clean, doesn't have holes, and isn't worn.

TJ Maxx and Filene's Basement tend to be quirky on certain items and designers. Here's a roundup:

Bags & Shoes: overpriced (unless they're clearance)
Sunglasses: way underpriced

Designer apparel
Escada: well below retail value (for example, I bought a dress for $100 that retails for $1895)
Burberry: way above what they should be selling for
M Missoni: overpriced
Dolce + Gabbana: depends on the item, usually underpriced
Nanette Lepore: underpriced
Poleci: underpriced
catherine malandrino: overpriced
Piazza Sempione: underpriced
Brioni: overpriced

of course, these are just some of my observations having been going to these stores for over a decade ;)

a fellow tj maxx fan! I totally agree with regard to sunglasses! I have gotten some great deals on sunglasses from tom ford, ralph lauren, ray ban, persol and theory. I'm always pleasanlty suprised. I will need to keep my eyes open for the other brands you mentioned.

TJ Maxx is perfect, if you know retail prices. I one time saw a crappy ELF makeup case there for $12 (retail: $1), but then I've gotten like $200 BCBG dresses for $20. I've seen some ridiculousle overpriced shoes there too, but I've also seen Frye boots for $100 and Frye shoes for $30. Their pricing is so inconsistent!

I once got a pair of Marc Jacobs sunglasses (collection, not Marc by MJ) for $56.00, retailing for close to $300.00. That was 2 years ago and I still consider that my deal of a lifetime.