Rhodium

CinthiaZ

Feb 26, 2010
So thrilled that Micheal Kors is now using RHODIUM plating on their hardware! Not sure if this is something new on MK bags, but it's news to me. Here is what I found to describe rhodim and it sounds absolutely fabulous! I am a big fan of silver hardware and this sounds even better! I can't wait to see it on this new bag the MK Chandler Shoulder tote. that I just ordered from the Macy's clearance sale. I hope he starts using it on other styles! This is such great news! I am sure this pic doesn't do it justice. I will TRY to capture it when I get the bag, and post it in this thread. I doubt it can be truly captured in any photo, but I bet it is so brilliant. I just can't WAIT to see it! But Michael Kors isn't a luxury brand? FALSE! lol!

Did you know the new MK Collins has 18k gold plating on it's hardware??

Anyhow, here is the description for Rhodium.

What is Rhodium?

Rhodium is a silvery-white transition metal. It holds the distinction of being the world's most expensive precious metal. It has an atomic number of 45 and is about as nonreactive as gold. The only way to dissolve rhodium is with sulfuric acid. Part of rhodium's appeal comes from its high reflectance, almost unique among the metals. It is sometimes used as an expensive and flashy alternative to silver in jewelry, on which it is sometimes plated. Some of the most expensive consumer items in the world are made from rhodium.

Rhodium was discovered in 1803 by William Hyde Wollaston, who isolated it from platinum. He named it after the Latin rhodon, meaning rose. Wallaston was also the discoverer of palladium.

Rhodium costs about six times as much as gold by weight. It is never found in mineral form, only being found in trace amounts within platinum or nickel ores. 80% of the world's rhodium comes from South Africa, and world production of the metal is only about 20 tons per year.

MK CHANDLER SHOULDER TOTE with RHODIUM HARDWARE!!!

From morning 'til midnight, this large shoulder tote makes the most of an edgy leather silhouette with a versatile chain-link strap. From MICHAEL Michael Kors.
Soft Venus leather; lining: polyester
Double handles with 8" drop; shoulder strap with 21" drop
Top zip closure
Exterior features shiny rhodium hardware and 2 open pockets
Interior features 1 zip pocket, 3 open pockets, 1 cellphone pocket and key fob
16" W x 9" H x 5" D
Silhouette is based off 5'9" model
Imported
Web ID: 2356148

Attachments

• My Chandler.jpg
    My Chandler.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Here is some more info about RHODIUM PLATING and how to care for it. Sounds like it is perfect on handbags and will last for years. It is more susceptible to wearing off when wearing it as jewelry, but even then lasts a very long time.

What is Rhodium Plating?
Rhodium is a silver-white hard metal often found in platinum ores. It is the most expensive precious metal. In its natural solid state Rhodium is far too hard to work, but it is used as an alloy in the smelting of platinum and palladium.

Rhodium plating is a metal deposition process used to coat materials with a decorative and protective layer of rhodium. Rhodium is a noble metal that imparts an extremely bright and hard wearing finish when applied as plating. When applied as a thin plate, it affords a durable finish of exceptional brightness. Rhodium finishes can greatly enhance the appearance and longevity of any metal to which they are applied.

In the 1930’s some silverware makers began to use rhodium electro-plating to produce sterling flatware that would not require frequent polishing. The use of rhodium plating spread to white gold and sterling silver jewelry as a means of creating a highly durable, tarnish resistant surface.

The use of rhodium plating on base metal, “pot metal” and stainless steel jewelry findings and settings did not come into wide use until after World War II. Advances in technology eventually allowed even thinner layers of rhodium to be bonded with the surface of metals. While no vintage costume jewelry is “made of rhodium” or “set in rhodium”, costume jewelry of good quality was often rhodium plated.

The most frequently used method of applying rhodium finishes is the electroplating process. This involves submerging the recipient material in a heated bath of rhodium-based plating solution and running an electric current through the bath using the recipient as a cathode or negative electrode. This process causes rhodium from the solution to permanently bond to the recipient surface. Rhodium electroplating solutions typically consist of rhodium sulfate, sulfuric acid and water.

It is, however, important to be aware that rhodium plating will not last for an eternity. The lifespan will vary and will depend upon a number of factors including the amount of wear the jewellery receives, the original thickness of the plating, individual body chemistry, the quality of the plating and the colour of the underlying gold. The plating on an item that is subjected to a lot of wear or friction, such as a ring, may only last 6-24 months, whereas a necklace, brooch or earrings which comes in less contact with skin or the elements, or is simply worn less, can retain its plating for ten or more years.

To ensure rhodium plated jewellery lasts as long as possible, keep it cleans with a mixture of mild liquid shampoo and a little water. Never use any chemical cleaners on rhodium plated items, or ultrasonic cleaners that utilize chemicals. Do not use polishing cloths intended for use on gold or silver jewelry, and ensure pieces are not in regular contact with hard surfaces. Non-abrasive, lint free, streak free, micro-fibre cloths are ideal. Let all makeup and perfume dry before putting on jewellery. Wash any make up off jewelry with water and store in a protective box to avoid damage and wear when not worn. Carefully looked after rhodium plated jewelry will keep its fantastic, highly reflective white finish and you can enjoy its beauty for years.

Last edited:
Such a great deal I like this style better than the one I had I took mine back but ordered this one instead in wisteria again. I like how this one is Convertible and I can wear it as a crossbody or take the crossbody off. I didn't like the other other one because you could t remove anything your just stuff with both handles one
2456149 is the web I'd for the one you gave pictured it's a Chandler Medium Convertible Shoulder bag

Such a great deal I like this style better than the one I had I took mine back but ordered this one instead in wisteria again. I like how this one is Convertible and I can wear it as a crossbody or take the crossbody off. I didn't like the other other one because you could t remove anything your just stuff with both handles one
2456149 is the web I'd for the one you gave pictured it's a Chandler Medium Convertible Shoulder bag
How does the Rhodium plated hardware look to you?? Is it as brilliant as I am hoping?? This is one of the major reasons I purchased one, besides I like the outer pockets and shoulder strap. I'm not much for wearing cross body bags.Too short to pull it off right.

Last edited:
It's good to know about rhodium. Thanks. I ordered this bag yesterday and can't wait to get her [emoji4]
Cool! Please post pics when it arrives! Try to capture the rhodium brilliance if you can. It is almost impossible, but I think we can do it better than the Macy's pic. I am going to take pics in the sun.

This bag is the perfect bag for me and meets every one of my requirements and then some. Even has the key leash clip inside. Two outer cell pockets, extra brilliant silver rhodium hardware, soft leather, perfect length shoulder strap. . I am stoked! MK has out done himself again!!

How does the Rhodium plated hardware look to you?? Is it as brilliant as I am hoping?? This is one of the major reasons I purchased one, besides I like the outer pockets and shoulder strap. I'm not much for wearing cross body bags.Too short to pull it off right.

I liked it , it was really nice Illlll I can not wait for you to get yours

I liked it , it was really nice Illlll I can not wait for you to get yours
Is the hardware much more brilliant with the Rhodium instead of the regular silver?? THe regular silver is nice but I am hoping this rhodium is more brilliant and shining. Let me know if your hardware is brighter on this bag, than whem compared to the silver hardware on your Riley and other bags. Please put them side by side and let me know if there is a noticeable difference. Thanks!

Is the hardware much more brilliant with the Rhodium instead of the regular silver?? THe regular silver is nice but I am hoping this rhodium is more brilliant and shining. Let me know if your hardware is brighter on this bag, than whem compared to the silver hardware on your Riley and other bags. Please put them side by side and let me know if there is a noticeable difference. Thanks!

When I get mine I can show you since I returned my other one ... Here's a picture of my old one I returned ImageUploadedByPurseForum1447816693.381138.jpg

When I get mine I can show you since I returned my other one ... Here's a picture of my old one I returned View attachment 3191059
OK, thanks Smiley. Impossible to see difference in a photo. I'll just have to be patient and wait. What I was asking you, "did you notice any significant difference?" It'll never show in a pic. I just need to know what you SAW, but maybe you didn't compare? Did you even know it was rhodium hardware?? Most folks don't worry about hardware like I do, so I understand if you didn't notice. Just wondering if you did? I can see a bit of a difference in the pic, but it might be wishful thinking! lol! It will definitely stand out more against the black.