Rhodium/Palladium Plated White Gold

RosiePink

O.G.
Dec 7, 2012
Hi ladies, just out of curiosity I'm wondering how you feel about white gold. Do you own any pieces in white gold that are or aren't plated with another metal? Have you been habitually replating it or have you not felt the need to? I have seen a couple of pictures of unplated white gold and it has a really beautiful warm tone which made me curious what tone the white gold under rhodium would have. Would it be significantly more yellow than gold sold as unplated?

I ask because I recently bought a white gold chain that I plan to wear 24/7 and I'm wondering if I should exchange it for an unplated metal while I have the chance. I love the warm tone of unplated white gold but have heard some ladies mention their white gold engagement rings looking closer to yellow gold under the rhodium.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

There's a big difference between Palladium White Gold (NOT usually plated as Palladium is the alloy mixed with the gold) vs Rhodium Plated White Gold (plated with rhodium, alloyed with nickel). Palladium WG is usually grayish, and doesn't require plating to be white because the Palladium is so gray it offsets the yellowness of the gold. Nickel WG needs the plating to offset the warmth because nickel is not gray enough on it's own to offset the yellowness of the gold leaving it a soft creamy color, and the rhodium is what conceals that leaving the bright and crisp white. AFAIK, in other countries outside of the US, it's uncommon to see nickel alloyed white gold as a lot of their regulations don't allow it in part due to allergies. Nickel is a metal that has a highly reactive issue with a lot of people, rhodium will help for some, not all.

Tks ame for your answer, I assumed all my WG jewelries is rhodium plated as it shines very white and tends to be more yellowish after some years of wear. I tried to ask for palladium WG but no luck as jewelrers here in asia only offer nickel WG and I guess it is cheaper than palladium WG.

Thanks for your input.

I know that palladium alloyed white gold doesn't need to be plated at all but some alloys of white gold are plated with palladium rather than rhodium. I'm curious about what is underneath the rhodium/palladium plating as I am a no-fuss type of person and don't want to worry about my white gold chain looking like yellow gold over time. I don't mind if it looks warm but definitely not yellow.

If anybody has any pictures of their aged white gold that has been previously plated I would really appreciate it!

I have a lot of white gold jewelry and all are rhodium plated. One piece a diamond skull on a chain I have been wearing almost every day for years and it has never needed to be re-plated. On the other hand, I have a diamond anniversary band in yellow gold that I had rhodiumed and that is always wearing off so I re-plate it when it's needed.

I have a lot of white gold jewelry and all are rhodium plated. One piece a diamond skull on a chain I have been wearing almost every day for years and it has never needed to be re-plated. On the other hand, I have a diamond anniversary band in yellow gold that I had rhodiumed and that is always wearing off so I re-plate it when it's needed.
Thank you! How often would you say you need to replate the yellow gold ring? Just to get a rough idea on how long it takes rhodium to wear off.

I have a WG ring and wear it everyday for 3 years then the rhodium fades away and it becomes yellowish... I get it plated once and never have to do it again till now (10 years) but because I do not wear it that often

Thanks for your input ladies! I guess I'll just have to find out how my skin and wear and tear reacts with the rhodium plating. I've always wondered so I guess the only way to ever really know is to wear it and test it out myself!