Rhinoplasty/septoplasty

1. I went for a consultation with a plastic surgeon today because on top of having chronic sinus infections, I also have a small bump on my nose that I've wanted to have shaved down for a while now. I need a septoplasty and also some other surgery for something that's swollen all the time, but I forget the name of it. Anyway, I was supposed to have this all done earlier this year, but chickened out and put it off.

Today I went and they quoted me just for having the bump shaved down and a slight tip revision to be almost $8,000 of which they said isn't going to be covered by my insurance because it's not medically necessary. Based on research I've done and even from what you have all told me on here before, I feel like that's a really high price. I've always heard that anywhere from $250-$2,500 is what it should be since I'm already having surgery for other things medically necessary. Maybe I just don't know how PS works, but any opinions would be wonderful!! Thanks :flowers:

2. Where I'm from, shaving a bump would run you about $8k with a reputable surgeon. I've never actually heard of a rhinoplasty being $2500, my guess woul be in other parts of the country maybe $5-6k is average?

3. They were saying that low of a price because part of it would have been covered by insurance I think? My area where I live is pretty pricey too.

4. Hi, I just had Rhynoplasty/Septplasty 7wks ago. My surgeon billed my insurance for all of "necessary" parts of the procedure. He then charged me $7000 for the "cosmetic" portion of the surgery. He is one of the best in my area and he can demand that price. For my Dr. it's simpley "supply and demand". There are people lined up to pay his prices because he's that good.

I paid his price because I trusted him more than the other surgeons I consulted with. For me, it was a matter of, this is my face and I have to trust my Dr. He is also double boarded in plastics and ENT which was important to me because I also had all kinds of issues with my breathing and sinuses.

It was sickening forking over that dough, but I must say my nose looks awesome already (I know it takes a year to see the final result). and my breathing/sinus problems are insanely better.

The best advice I can give you is to ignore the prices of the Dr's you consult with, really do your research, look through their "book" carefully, and decide who is the person you feel you can trust. Who is the person that really understands what you want and has the pictures patient back's "reviews" to back it up.

Good luck!!:smile:

5. I've had reconstructive plastic surgery but in the same surgery, a completely unrelated 100% cosmetic procedure (genioplasty). My doctor couldn't even tell me the ballpark price of the cosmetic procedure (he offered to have his secretary look into it then get back to me), as he's removed from the financial part as a Johns Hopkins doctor; he only concentrates on the medical part and his craft, he leaves the rest up to others. He wasn't even sure that the hospital could split the bill (i.e. bill insurance for part while billing me for what I know they wouldn't cover) so it was suggested just to send it to insurance then pay what they rejected.

My reconstructive surgery bill was around $10k, completely paid for by insurance. The cosmetic procedure was looked at suspiciously by the insurance company, and then ultimately rejected. A year later, it was all squared away. Cost for my 100% unrelated cosmetic procedure? $1,100. The most expensive part of surgical bills are always the OR/hospital fees so by having 2 procedures at once I was able to have the big bill picked up by the insurance company. If you're having the procedure done by an academic surgeon (i.e. on who holds clinic in conjunction with an academic hospital instead of someone in private practice) in an affiliated hospital, you will have a line item bill. Hospital/OR fees, anesthesiologist fee, and an individual line for each coded procedure (one for the septoplasty, one for the rhinoplasty, another one for swollen tissue/probably adenoids, etc). The insurance company will see the questionable charge (rhinoplasty) and put your bill on hold while they request more information to ensure that the procedure was medically necessary. At the end, they will pay for the septoplasty, adenoid removal, OR fees, anesthesiologist as contractually required, but then tell you the rhinoplasty is not covered and you're liable for the entire rhinoplasty charge. In my case, I just had the procedure done (knew I wouldn't be able to find a better doctor!) and figured I'd pay whatever; ask your doctor's office what the surgeons's fee alone is for the rhinoplasty to be prepared for the bill.

I also recently had a septoplasty (in the end the doctor also did a bilateral turbinate reduction then removed my adenoids) since I was having problems breathing. I've had a lot of surgery in my life and this was by far one of the easiest recoveries--and I would easily do it again and again for the results.

I've BTDT with the insurance coverage and cosmetic procedures. My experience is with Blue Cross/Blue Shield, though I am studying for my health insurance producers license ;) Feel free to ask questions if you need assistance!

6. I had a septo / rhino back in 2011. The septo was covered by insurance. I paid $10,000 for the rhino out of pocket!!! Am I happy I got the rhino? Yes. I had a hug bump prior and my nose was wider. Is my nose amazing afterward and worth $10K? No. Actually, when my doc broke my nose, the bones broke unevenly so my nose is actually slightly crooked. Most people don't notice, but I can tell that my face is not symmetrical and it bothers me. Considered a revision with another doc just don't have the $ right now.