Rhinoplasty at MVP Clinic in Korea

softbunnies

Aug 17, 2020
Hi! So in mid-January 2020 I got rhinoplasty surgery at MVP clinic and I wanted to share my experience (the goods and bads) for anyone considering going there. It's August now, so it has been 7 months since my surgery and I think my results now are basically the end-results? I know swelling can last a year, but anyways.

I am a white person and I wanted to get my plastic surgery done in Korea since they have so much experience and I like their taste more than American doctor's. My issue with my nose was that I had a slight dorsal hump, a slight deviated septum, and a droopy nose tip (my grandparents are Greek so inherited that larger, strong style of nose). Though I have always been told I have a sweet face, my nose really bothered me and felt too masculine.

Consultation Day:
Okay so now to the clinic part. I had my consultation with MVP shortly after arriving to Korea. The waiting room had a lot of Korean people in it, mostly 20-something year olds with their parents. And a lot of them were doing eye-surgery based on their bandages. But anyways I remember meeting a translator and she was okay...but kind of uncomfortable to talk with. This sounds a little bit mean but she felt very fake with how she treated me if that makes sense. Anyways I was actually considering rhinoplasty and zygoma surgery when I came in. I met with Dr. Choi and he explained how he would do the surgery and that he wanted to take some cartilage off the bottom tip of my nose and raise my tip up some. I don't know the technical name for that sorry. I told him I wanted a slightly curved nose and he said he would do that and fix my deviated septum. Then I met with Dr. Seo and I told him I was considering the zygoma surgery (bc in the consultation emails they said he would do that surgery on me and Dr. Choi would do my rhinoplasty). He felt my facial bones and told me that I didn't really need the surgery because I don't have the kind of cheekbones that stick widly out. I just have a wide baby face so it's not really fixable T.T But I really appreciated him telling me the truth and not lying and me doing something I'd regret later. I then met with this lady (maybe her name was Ellen?) and she walked through what she thought my face needed to be more "harmonized." She said that I should get rhinoplasty and a lip lift and then included like a bonus "filler" package with lip-botox and some other facial fillers or something. I was considering the lip-lift for a little while, because I could kind of get what she meant. But after looking at the procedure online and all the side effects, I didn't think I was ready for it then. So I decided just to do rhinoplasty and I had Dr. Choi as my doctor. I paid a $500 deposit that day also.

Day of the Surgery:
Okay so I didn't mention this before, but I went to Korea completely alone to do this surgery and I don't consider myself that old? (I'm 21). So I was already super nervous and also I have a fear of anaesthesia and knives in general. Though I wanted plastic surgery so bad, I was sooo terrified. I paid for the rest of my surgery and changed into the hospital clothes. This is when I was starting to get super scared. And the translator lady wasn't very comforting in my opinion so it made me feel more nervous T.T When I was laying in the hospital bed right before the surgery started, I began to panic and I was trying to tell them I was scared and could they wait a moment, but they suddenly put me under anaesthesia. I don't like that they did that to me. And then I woke up and I was in a room by myself and I was scared so I started crying. I also think since I was scared before the surgery, those emotions just carried over to when I woke up. And I was in a lot of pain. Though it sounds baby-like, I really wanted my sister or mom or my boyfriend then :sad: The nurses took came in and took care of me every so often and gave me medicine or some soup. I had my surgery at like 9 or 10 am so that I could spend the rest of the day resting in the hospital. At around 5/6 or so they prepared a "goodie bag" of all the medicines and ointments to take/use along with some face mask samples and then several pumpkin juice packets. I feel like there was something else but I can't remember.

Follow Ups:
So I came in like 2-3 times after surgery for check-ins. I think one check-up might have been before I got my cast/stitches out? That part is a little bit blurry because it's been a while. Anyways, I was only supposed to meet with them for 2 times afterwards, but since I was in Korea for about 3 weeks, they scheduled a third followup just to make sure the healing was going well. Dr. Choi was pretty persistent in being thorough which I appreciated.

Results:
Okay first off, the results are very natural and subtle (which I like but also dislike). He shaved off the hump on my nose, but he also kind of made my nose bigger? I mean to raise the tip he extended my nose out a little farther and gave me a pointed tip. I would have preferred a softer, curved nose line but I still think this one is kind of pretty. (I have a strongish chin so I think he was keeping harmony with the angle that's why he built the nose out some). But it's growing on me. When he fixed my deviated septum, it made my nasal bridge (in the front view) look wider. I'm not sure if other people can notice that, but I definitely do. I still don't know how I feel about that. It looks okay when I have makeup on. OH and also if you're viewing my my nasal bridge from like a 45 degree angle, you can see slight bumps on the side of each nose? I think that happened when they broke my nose to fix it...idk. It's not terrible or anything, it just isn't like super super noticeable that I had plastic surgery. (even my family didn't notice anything different.)

He didn't make my nose look too perfect, like there are still slight "flaws" which I'm coming to terms with. I like the side-view of my face from my right-side now. i think it's kind of pretty. I don't like the left-side view of my face as much, but I think that has more to do with the fact that my left cheeks look more hollow than my right cheeks (facial asymmetry gotta love it T.T) But overall, I feel like I got fairly lucky? Because the price was super reasonable and he made my nose kind of cuter. Would I do it again with the same doctor? PRobably not. I think Dr. Choi is kind of a mediocre plastic surgeon when it comes to rhinoplasty. I wouldn't choose him again. I mean I'm glad I don't have a botched nose or anything but he's not great.

Also tbh I don't know if this is normal for other people who have had rhinoplasties, but I think I may have some sort of PTSD from the surgery? I mean nearly every night I have these terrible graphic dreams relating to my nose (and sometimes the doctors/staff are in it) and it's just terrible. I wonder if it's because I was scared when I got it done : -( idk what to do about it. I really wish they wouldn't have rushed me. It really bothered me that the staff did that to me.

Anyways. I hope this information is useful/helpful to someone. I just thought I'd share my experience since I can't really find accounts from MVP in 2020. I think MVP's speciality is more related to lip surgeries FYI. Also I do know that if I ever get surgery done again I want to look into Dr. Seo's clinic because he seems more trusworthy and skilled.

oh ALSO I should mention that I after I had my surgery, I was reading deep through online reviews and found at that MVP had someone die at their clinic. so yes scary! google it and please choose clinics wisely people it's scary :- (

oh aND They wouldn't let me see my before and after pictures of myself. They said they "lost them" (this was while I was still in korea btw). And then afterwards I emailed them about it and they said they had them and I asked if I could see the pictures of MYSELF and they directed me to all of these legal forms and ID scans I had to sign, upload, or share. I didn't feel comfortable doing that so I didn't end up getting them but I thought that was really weird.

Thanks so much for sharing! What clinic wouldn't let you see your before and after pictures?! Sounds suspicious to me. I hope everything is well :smile:
Hi! MVP (the clinic I had my rhinoplasty done) did that to me. It was really strange tbh. Like usually clinics let you compare your face before and after???? I was like seriouslY?? Anyways I really don't think they're that trustworthy of a clinic. I wouldn't recommend going there honestly.

Hi! MVP (the clinic I had my rhinoplasty done) did that to me. It was really strange tbh. Like usually clinics let you compare your face before and after???? I was like seriouslY?? Anyways I really don't think they're that trustworthy of a clinic. I wouldn't recommend going there honestly.
Hi @softbunnies,

I wish you had read my thread first. Dr Seo is the best for rhinoplasty in my opinion. Dr Choi is not as good. I have seen 2 Choi noses in person and therefore would not recommend him. Their noses are okay but not super. Dr Seo left MVP this Spring and started his own clinic Machimpyo. I was also at mvp in January but always insist on Dr Seo. I tell my friends to say 'only Dr Seo'. lol.

Odd that Dr Choi would not let you see your b+a's but not surprised. Dr Seo is much nicer and I even took a photo of my b+a of my face FT on his computer. Mvp is a beautiful marble building and I love Ellen the manager but it is now not the same without its star gifted surgeon.

Reactions: ralpphilz
Hi @softbunnies,

I wish you had read my thread first. Dr Seo is the best for rhinoplasty in my opinion. Dr Choi is not as good. I have seen 2 Choi noses in person and therefore would not recommend him. Their noses are okay but not super. Dr Seo left MVP this Spring and started his own clinic Machimpyo. I was also at mvp in January but always insist on Dr Seo. I tell my friends to say 'only Dr Seo'. lol.

Odd that Dr Choi would not let you see your b+a's but not surprised. Dr Seo is much nicer and I even took a photo of my b+a of my face FT on his computer. Mvp is a beautiful marble building and I love Ellen the manager but it is now not the same without its star gifted surgeon.

yeah i really want to try dr. seo's clinic whenever i head back to korea. did you get any operations with Dr. Seo done after he left MVP? I'm curious about prices for fat grafting at machimpyo but i haven't seen anything on here since it's so recent. do you think he will be very expensive? :o

yeah i really want to try dr. seo's clinic whenever i head back to korea. did you get any operations with Dr. Seo done after he left MVP? I'm curious about prices for fat grafting at machimpyo but i haven't seen anything on here since it's so recent. do you think he will be very expensive? :o
Hi @softbunnies I haven’t been back to Korea since January. With covid affecting business, and starting a new clinic, I doubt Dr Seo would be very expensive. You can always message him for a quote as he has joined Tpf.

sorry to keep asking so many questions ! but is he good at revision rhinoplasty? and also if it's not his specialty, do you have any recommendations?
Not Ms. Orange but I've also been shopping around for surgeons for revision rhino and my favs so far:
Dr. Chang - Hanabi Clinic
Dr. Kim - Cocoline
Dr. Jeong - ThePlus Clinic
You can send them your pic via kakao for an online consultation.

Not Ms. Orange but I've also been shopping around for surgeons for revision rhino and my favs so far:
Dr. Chang - Hanabi Clinic
Dr. Kim - Cocoline
Dr. Jeong - ThePlus Clinic
You can send them your pic via kakao for an online consultation.

do you know where i can find before and after of revision rhinoplasties for ThePlus clinic?

do you know where i can find before and after of revision rhinoplasties for ThePlus clinic?
unfortunately you have to register an account on their website to be able to view any pics. The problem is the registration page is in Korean and I've tried to google translate it with no luck. Guess I'll have to see the pics during the f2f consultation. From the reviews here I know that Jeong specializes in revisions.

Hello - does anyone know if MVP is open for business? I've tried contacting them for the past couple of months but haven't gotten any replies through Kakao, email, or Whatsapp...

I know that they changed their brand name a little bit, but I honestly would not recommend going there :sad: what surgery are you getting done? their only good doctor has left the clinic.