Rhinoplasty - Anesthetic concerns

MegsVC

Sep 15, 2012
I have wanted Rhino for over ten years, and I told myself I would wait until I was 25 to be absolutely sure.
So I had my 25th birthday this summer, and as it happens I am currently working for the best surgeon in my area, and one of the top surgeons in Canada.
He's agreed to do my Rhinoplasty, and I'm penciled in for November 27th...

Now I'm completely panicking about the anesthetic, and I have pretty significant anxiety which doesn't help.
I'm not worried about the procedure, how it'll look, the recovery, but I am completely terrified of going under.
I'm terrified I'm not going to wake up, even though I've had an anesthetic before, and the procedure is being done at a private hospital with better anesthetic drugs then they use at the hospital, and they're so strictly regulated and controlled, its so so so rare that there's ever a problem.
I've spoken to my surgeon several times, and my co-worker (his nurse) but I'm still totally terrified.

I have to make a decision quite soon if I want to keep my tentative surgery date of Nov 27th, as I'll need a pre-op with my surgeon and with my GP, so I really need to figure it out and decide.
I'm 99.9% sure this is what I want to do. I'm just so scared that I wont wake up.
I think the fear is because this is a totally optional procedure. If it was a life saving surgery or something that HAD to be done, it's like well.. If I don't do it I won't live, and if I do it and don't wake up, well.. either way, it was going to happen.

But if this is a choice, and I make the choice to do it and then don't wake up.... eek.
It's really messing with my head, but I really want this procedure done..

I should also mention that I'm young, healthy, no existing health concerns, and I've had GA for a necessary procedure with no complications.. I think it's just all in my head, and also that I have so much time to think/overthink about the anesthetic..

I guess I'm just hoping for advice/reassurance from anyone that has gone through cosmetic procedures.

Thanks ladies.

davincci

May 11, 2014
I have wanted Rhino for over ten years, and I told myself I would wait until I was 25 to be absolutely sure.
So I had my 25th birthday this summer, and as it happens I am currently working for the best surgeon in my area, and one of the top surgeons in Canada.
He's agreed to do my Rhinoplasty, and I'm penciled in for November 27th...

Now I'm completely panicking about the anesthetic, and I have pretty significant anxiety which doesn't help.
I'm not worried about the procedure, how it'll look, the recovery, but I am completely terrified of going under.
I'm terrified I'm not going to wake up, even though I've had an anesthetic before, and the procedure is being done at a private hospital with better anesthetic drugs then they use at the hospital, and they're so strictly regulated and controlled, its so so so rare that there's ever a problem.
I've spoken to my surgeon several times, and my co-worker (his nurse) but I'm still totally terrified.

I have to make a decision quite soon if I want to keep my tentative surgery date of Nov 27th, as I'll need a pre-op with my surgeon and with my GP, so I really need to figure it out and decide.
I'm 99.9% sure this is what I want to do. I'm just so scared that I wont wake up.
I think the fear is because this is a totally optional procedure. If it was a life saving surgery or something that HAD to be done, it's like well.. If I don't do it I won't live, and if I do it and don't wake up, well.. either way, it was going to happen.

But if this is a choice, and I make the choice to do it and then don't wake up.... eek.
It's really messing with my head, but I really want this procedure done..

I should also mention that I'm young, healthy, no existing health concerns, and I've had GA for a necessary procedure with no complications.. I think it's just all in my head, and also that I have so much time to think/overthink about the anesthetic..

I guess I'm just hoping for advice/reassurance from anyone that has gone through cosmetic procedures.

Thanks ladies.
U going under GA? Does your Dr provide option to go under sedation? Coz most clinices in Korea just use sedation for rhinoplasty. And chances of complication/accident is much lower.

Chanel522

O.G.
Nov 8, 2009
East Coast
U going under GA? Does your Dr provide option to go under sedation? Coz most clinices in Korea just use sedation for rhinoplasty. And chances of complication/accident is much lower.

That's actually not true. Depending on the surgery sometimes NOT having GA is more dangerous. I would trust your PS and anesthesiologist to do what's best for you and your specific surgical procedure.

When I had my breast aug 18 months ago I was a nervous wreck over the anesthesia! I have some anxiety issues also and the thought of going completely under scared me like crazy. It was an absolute breeze and I'm so glad I just trusted my Dr's.

You'll be fine...please try not to worry and let yourself be excited instead of anxious. Good luck, OP!! 💐

Edit: I had my surgery in the US where I live and I would strongly advise you to have your surgery where you live and have access to your surgeon at any time. All this traveling for PS is really nuts IMO.

MegsVC

Sep 15, 2012
No my surgeon only does rhinoplasty under GA, and I don't think I'd want it done under sedation.. Not with all that bone work going on.

That's actually not true. Depending on the surgery sometimes NOT having GA is more dangerous. I would trust your PS and anesthesiologist to do what's best for you and your specific surgical procedure.

When I had my breast aug 18 months ago I was a nervous wreck over the anesthesia! I have some anxiety issues also and the thought of going completely under scared me like crazy. It was an absolute breeze and I'm so glad I just trusted my Dr's.

You'll be fine...please try not to worry and let yourself be excited instead of anxious. Good luck, OP!! 💐

Edit: I had my surgery in the US where I live and I would strongly advise you to have your surgery where you live and have access to your surgeon at any time. All this traveling for PS is really nuts IMO.
Thank you Chanel522, yes I'll be having surgery I'm canada, where I live. (Actually I work for my surgeon, so I'll have access to him at all times.) I can't imagine traveling to get this done. It seems crazy to not have immediate access to the doctor that did your procedure in case of complications. If I didn't have an amazing surgeon in my area, I wouldn't be doing this.
I am excited, but very nervous. I'm considering asking my GP about something I can take to relax me on the day of the surgery, as my anxiety is through the roof right now.. Did you take anything pre-op to help calm you down?

Glad yours was a breeze, and crossing my fingers that mine will be too!

vanilla_moon

Oct 28, 2014
Hi! I am currently 5 days post my rhinoplasty and understand your concerns very well - I was just as anxious about having general anesthesia and was shaking the day I arrived at the clinic!
Even though I had GA twice when I was just a year old (I was unable to move my thumbs and had to get surgery) and everything went just fine.

If you're overall healthy like you said and have a practiced anesthetist monitoring you, the risks should be at an absolute minimum. Don't worry, you'll be okay! Also, usually you get a sedative before being put under general anesthesia so you're already quite drowsy before being put to sleep.

The first couple days of recovery are really no fun, but I'm absolutely happy I decided for the surgery! I wish you good luck :smile:

Moreen

Jul 29, 2014
korean dooctor no like use ga for nose. they prefer sedation because i read was after grand anesthesia scandal

Loveluxury13

Loopy for LV
Oct 16, 2014
Australia
I have had 8 GA's and I'm not normally healthy but do just fine having GA :smile: I always ask for pre sedation medication to relax before they take me in.