Revolveclothing.com asking for my card's security code?

Capt_Longshanks

is plank-a-walkin'!
O.G.
Jul 22, 2010
So yesterday a dress in Revolve caught my eye and after lengthy deliberation, I decided to purchase it. Thing is I couldn't get the order through even after re-checking my information and calling my bank to make sure there's nothing wrong with my card. After multiple (unsuccessful) attempts, I decided to contact their CS at [email protected] and inquired about the failed order.

I received a mail today from [email protected], and this was what they had to say:

Thank you for your inquiry. I am very sorry for the inconvenience. The order is actually showing up as declined on our system. I have tried to manually submit the order but unfortunately, it is still not going through. Would you happen to have the security code on the back of the credit card? Please advise. We can try to enter this code again to see if that will help put the order through on our end. We look forward to your reply. Thank you and have a nice day!

Regards,
Jeanette
Customer Service
Revolve Clothing.com

Has anyone else ever experienced trouble placing orders at Revolve? Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure about giving my security code through e-mail to a CS officer. Moreover when they stated that they've tried to enter the order manually, which means they have my other card info too. What do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

I've never ordered from them but I have given my code for online orders. Typically the form where you enter the cc info has a section for security code. I memorized my code because I would do orders on j crew and nordies and I would have to enter it.

I've never ordered from them but I have given my code for online orders. Typically the form where you enter the cc info has a section for security code. I memorized my code because I would do orders on j crew and nordies and I would have to enter it.

^ I agree. It's just an added security measure.
I haven't ordered from RC in a while but from what I remember, you have to enter the security code with your CC info to place the order. I think it's pretty much the norm for most online sites. If you're uncomfortable about giving it to them via email, maybe try calling them with the info?

perhaps the numbers were entered incorrectly, that's why the charge isn't going through... This happened to me at Shopbop, 2 numbers were transposed. After the correction over the phone, all was well!

^ I agree. It's just an added security measure.
I haven't ordered from RC in a while but from what I remember, you have to enter the security code with your CC info to place the order. I think it's pretty much the norm for most online sites. If you're uncomfortable about giving it to them via email, maybe try calling them with the info?
Yup, I know there is (almost always) a field for security codes when making an order online. It's just that I'm very certain I put the correct security code there and the order still could not get through.

So I contacted their CS.

And I got a reply from presumably one of their CS officers (since it's from a different email address) asking for my security code so they could place the order for me. Hence my being undecided, as I feel placing the code on verified, secured pages is better than sending it via email to a person across the globe that I don't know :/

Perhaps you could call them up and give them the card details and code over the phone rather than by email if you are concerned. They are pretty efficient over the phone and should be able to sort it out for you when you are on the line.
I hope it works out for you

Perhaps you could call them up and give them the card details and code over the phone rather than by email if you are concerned. They are pretty efficient over the phone and should be able to sort it out for you when you are on the line.
I hope it works out for you

i was going to suggest this as well, maybe call them.

I'm with the others, I think they have an 800 number so you don't have to pay long distance charges. That would be safer than emailing back.

I just ordered from Revolve today and entered my security number, and I've had to do that for most online purchases.

Sites sometimes need extra info to process an order. The first time i ordered off of YOOX they asked for a picture of my card.. strange, but I did it. I figure if you give you card information to an official email you are protected if you keep a record of what you did. Ask the CS rep if you can email the 3 digit security code?

Is the dress still available? Can you just purchase it again if you don't feel comfortable giving the card number via email?

Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I don't like giving credit card information over email. I also only use the one time virtual account numbers if I'm buying online.

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone! :flowers:

I suppose I'll go ask my bank whether they offer this one time virtual account numbers/security code and try my luck again. Otherwise, I don't think I'd ever be comfortable sending the code through email and would just drop the purchase. Maybe this is a sign I shouldn't shop so much! :P