Review: Rhinoplasty and Non-Incisional DES at Wannabe

xanncy

Oct 10, 2019
Hi! I wrote this originally as a comment on a thread but decided to make a full review. Last October, I decided to go to Korea last minute in November. After searching on this forum for a while, I decided on two clinics for consultation: UVOM and Wannabe. I was leaning towards Wannabe initially, as I saw more natural rhinoplasty results from them, compared to UVOM with a slightly more dolly style. I wanted to get my surgery done on the same trip, so I scheduled both consultations on the first and second day after I arrived. I consulted at Wannabe first, and was pleased with my consultation, so I ended up booking my surgery with them to be performed in two days. I initially contacted them for DES with ptosis correction (I didn’t have a preference for non-incisional vs incisional, and went with non-incisional based off their recommendation). I already had double lids, and told them I wanted a higher crease so that I would be able to show more eye makeup. For my rhinoplasty, I initially was only planning to get tip plasty and bridge augmentation, but they recommended that I get the slight bump on my nose shaved down so I opted for that as well. so I got rhino and non incisional des last november at wannabe. I went for a tip plasty and bridge augmentation, and ended up getting a slight hump on my nose shaved down as well.

The surgery day was pretty awful. First off, I had a cartilage piercing that I couldn’t remove because I had only gotten it the month before. I informed them of this beforehand and they didn’t tell me there would be an issue, but after I paid for the surgery and was going in for it, they suddenly told me i had to take the piercing out. I understand it may have been necessary, but the way they went about it was extremely deceptive— they didn’t tell me beforehand because they knew I probably wouldn’t go through with the surgery. The surgery was split into two parts: they sedated me and did my DES first, then woke me up so that i could open my eyes and blink. After that I would be sedated again for my rhinoplasty. Local anesthesia would be used along with the sedation. However, during the DES surgery, they didn’t give me enough local anesthesia, and when they woke me up halfway through the surgery, the thread kept breaking because my eyes were tensed up from the pain. it was excruciatingly painful, and the translator wasn’t there so i had to ask multiple times before they finally understood gave me more anesthesia. The DES surgery went alright from then on, but the eye they were working on was especially swelled afterwards due to this. For my rhinoplasty, I actually woke up from sedation 30 minutes before the surgery finished and it was honestly pretty awful to feel them working on my nose. They did use enough local anesthesia this time so it wasn’t painful, just disturbing because i could feel the vibrations and movement from them cutting, sewing, etc. It was really traumatizing and scary.

Honestly I’m not sure if i would recommend them or go back to them because of these issues. the surgery was pretty traumatizing to me and I just sat and cried for ages after I went back to my hotel. Result-wise, I’m torn— I requested a natural result for both surgeries and my nose is almost exactly what I asked for. I still have some swelling around my supratip, but I’m hoping it will go away in the next couple months. On the other hand, I’m not too happy with my DES. One lid is the tiniest bit smaller than the other, but it’s not really noticeable. However, after the first few months when the swelling went down, my lids are pretty much the same size or even smaller than they were originally. The result looks natural and healed well, but it was pretty much a waste of money because the main requirement that I had for the surgery wasn’t accomplished. I will likely be going somewhere for a revision when international travel becomes more viable.

Finally, about pricing and unethical practices: I paid about $6k USD for both surgeries with credit card. This was supposed to be their cash price, but some stuff happened with my bank and they agreed to let me pay with card instead, as long as I posted a review here. Please watch out, because they definitely have promoters on this forum. As soon as I got back, even before the 1 month mark, they were badgering me through Kakao for a review— how can you even review them if you can’t even see your results yet? I decided to post one now since I think I’m mostly healed. Sorry to anyone who wants to see photos— I probably won’t post any photos since I have a strong online presence and wouldn’t really want people to find them.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your honest experience. I'm very sorry that you had to live through the nightmare of being awake during surgery. I've seen so many positive Wannabe posts and it's good to know they may not necessarily genuine. Hope all goes well with your eyes!

Reactions: catria
Thanks so much for sharing this. I was actually really considering Wannabe as top 5 on my list but after reading this, I'm put off. I'm not sure if I'd want to go with them anymore. The surgery process with you waking up is such a nightmare! I'd never want that to happen in the middle of my surgery! Who was your doctor?

I'm wishing you the best with your recovery process :heart:

I decided to update this review with picture of my eyelids. As you can see, the lid is actually smaller now for both eyes. I asked for the lids to match the size of my higher lid slightly higher... Now the right side lid can only be seen at this angle (looking downwards). If I look straight on, there is almost no lid..

For the comparison image I attached, the top is before and the bottom is after. For the next photo, it’s an example of what my eyes look like when looking straight forward (only 1-2mm of lid showing)

As you can see, the eyelid surgery was pretty much a waste of money.

D2E656F6-034E-4FFB-AABE-6E766991348E.jpeg

BECC1BD7-9599-4A88-91D5-7841BB0B1AEC.jpeg

Last edited: