Review of the Ferragamo Soft Sofia (aka Suzanna)

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my review of a new purchase from Ferragamo, my medium Soft Sofia, which I have also seen also seen listed as Suzanna. I have had my eye on Ferragamo recently. I have always thought of Ferragamo as a grandmother's style of handbag. I thought it aged me and wasn't my style - until I first saw the Soft Sofia. I immediately fell in love with the bag. It's a beautiful calfskin leather bag, exterior and INTERIOR, which I don't find you see much of - unless you are looking at Chanel price points. It's buttery soft. It has a clasp closure, which I had to warm up to the idea. I am a zipper girl through and through. I like that the closure isn't affected when I add weight to it. My contents feel safe. It's light weight with sturdy hardware. The back pocket has a magnetic closure that is strong enough to stay closed when contents are within it. The wide and generous in length strap allows for the bag to be worn cross body. I am 5'8 and find the strap almost too long. It's a small handle so I don't find i can wear it on the crook of my arm. Maybe with smaller hands it's possible. I don't have any issue hand carrying my bag. The bag has a flap so it opens wide to get access to my things. It has two screws on each side which keeps the bag from being too open and exposed. You have enough room to look and see your contents. It's a medium bag but it's probably more medium to large. I am curvy and the bag fits my frame perfectly. I would not go any bigger as I think it would look more like luggage.
The bag also has an interior zip pocket on the inside (which is small to medium) and an other front pocket that can fit a cellphone or iPad mini (without case). For reference I can fit the following and still have room:
Makeup bag (medium size)
Catch all bag (same size as makeup bag)
Small notebook
Keys (car and house keys)
Mini wallet ×2
Cellphone
IPad with case
The one big negative is that the leather is extremely scratch prone. I wish it had more of a grain. I adore the bag but the fear of scratches would be too much for me had I paid full retail. I live in Canada and I don't think I have spotted a Ferragamo in the wild. I bought the bag at a deep discount from Nordstrom (from $2660 CAD to $970 - who can say no to that!).

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts on the bag. Happy to answer and questions :smile:
Are you still enjoying your bag? Have you come across a solution for the scratches which you commented about? I'm considering shopping for a pre-loved rather than new bc I've not found a great deal like you found. Lucky you!

Are you still enjoying your bag? Have you come across a solution for the scratches which you commented about? I'm considering shopping for a pre-loved rather than new bc I've not found a great deal like you found. Lucky you!

Yes, I am still enjoying the bag! I am not wearing it much through the winter months. Its a beautiful bag but I wouldn't qualify it as a workhorse bag. the leather is so, so, so prone to scratches, so I wear it with caution. Although, at the price point I bought it, I can stomach a scuff here and there. I think I will pull it out in the spring. I am too nervous for watermarks from snow.

Reactions: MamaSleepy
Yes, I am still enjoying the bag! I am not wearing it much through the winter months. Its a beautiful bag but I wouldn't qualify it as a workhorse bag. the leather is so, so, so prone to scratches, so I wear it with caution. Although, at the price point I bought it, I can stomach a scuff here and there. I think I will pull it out in the spring. I am too nervous for watermarks from snow.
Saw the bag this week. It was in the nutmeg colour. Loved it but the scratches quite visible; even present on the brand new stock. Keep thinking about it but not sure if I can take the plunge it being so scratch prone. I would not want baby it either.

Gee, I've seen several YT vids abt the smooth leather Antigona that gush about no scratches. I assumed the leather on the Sofia would be the same leather as the Antigona. Guess not. Darn. I don't want to baby my handbags. Thanks for the updates

Hi guys,

I wanted to share my review of a new purchase from Ferragamo, my medium Soft Sofia, which I have also seen also seen listed as Suzanna. I have had my eye on Ferragamo recently. I have always thought of Ferragamo as a grandmother's style of handbag. I thought it aged me and wasn't my style - until I first saw the Soft Sofia. I immediately fell in love with the bag. It's a beautiful calfskin leather bag, exterior and INTERIOR, which I don't find you see much of - unless you are looking at Chanel price points. It's buttery soft. It has a clasp closure, which I had to warm up to the idea. I am a zipper girl through and through. I like that the closure isn't affected when I add weight to it. My contents feel safe. It's light weight with sturdy hardware. The back pocket has a magnetic closure that is strong enough to stay closed when contents are within it. The wide and generous in length strap allows for the bag to be worn cross body. I am 5'8 and find the strap almost too long. It's a small handle so I don't find i can wear it on the crook of my arm. Maybe with smaller hands it's possible. I don't have any issue hand carrying my bag. The bag has a flap so it opens wide to get access to my things. It has two screws on each side which keeps the bag from being too open and exposed. You have enough room to look and see your contents. It's a medium bag but it's probably more medium to large. I am curvy and the bag fits my frame perfectly. I would not go any bigger as I think it would look more like luggage.
The bag also has an interior zip pocket on the inside (which is small to medium) and an other front pocket that can fit a cellphone or iPad mini (without case). For reference I can fit the following and still have room:
Makeup bag (medium size)
Catch all bag (same size as makeup bag)
Small notebook
Keys (car and house keys)
Mini wallet ×2
Cellphone
IPad with case
The one big negative is that the leather is extremely scratch prone. I wish it had more of a grain. I adore the bag but the fear of scratches would be too much for me had I paid full retail. I live in Canada and I don't think I have spotted a Ferragamo in the wild. I bought the bag at a deep discount from Nordstrom (from $2660 CAD to $970 - who can say no to that!).

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts on the bag. Happy to answer and questions :smile:
Hi, thanks for the review!
Would you mind sharing your thoughts on this bag after one-year use, especially in terms of wear and scratch?

Hi guys,
It's been almost 2 years since I bought my Ferragamo Soft Sofia and thought to give an updated review. Two years in I love the bag just as much as I did when I bought it. The first year I wore the bag continuously during the week. By year two, I slowed down a bit but it has nothing to do with my affection of the bag. I carried her in summer, mild spring days, fall and winter. I avoided rain as much as possible but a few times we were caught out and no damage resulted. I wouldn't qualify those times as downpours put rainy enough that I was fearful of water stains. I can say none occured.
I cannot speak enough to the quality leather of Ferragamo bags. My bag is still as buttery soft as the day I bought her. The bag has slightly softened but still maintains its shape. The stitching, glazing and hardware are IMPECCABLE. There are slight scratches on the closure clap but it's not so noticeable. Not one stitching is put of place. Glazing on the one corner of the bag has the slightest of hairline cracks bit it's not noticeable or even worrisome to me. I don't baby my bags, I use them with consistency and make them work in my life. I obviously don't drag them on the ground but I make sure they get use. My Ferragamo is still in excellent condition today. My biggest concern with the leather is the propensity to get scratched. The type of leather of the bag does scratch but it blends with the bag. Winter climate is very harsh in Canada and when I moisturize the bag, most scratches blend in. On the day to day I don't notice them. It's when I am purposely looking for them that I do. I am extremely impressed with the wear (or lack of it) on the handle of the bag. That is usually the first sign of wear on my bag, and on my Soft Sofia it's in perfect condition. There are no cracks on the glazing, no popped stitching or cracks the the leather.
To maintain the bag I have switched it out as my main work bag but still very much use it. I cannot speak enough about Ferragamo bags!

If there is one con its the handbag strap on the bag. I used once or twice and permanently took it off. It's too long for the look of the bag. At the shortest length it's still too long.

My experience with the Soft Sofia lead me to invest in a new tote. Happy to review that too. Let me know if you have any specific questions on the bag.

Attachments

• 20190815_115839.jpg
    20190815_115839.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 20190815_115907.jpg
    20190815_115907.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 20190815_115931.jpg
    20190815_115931.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190815_115943.jpg
    20190815_115943.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20190815_120002.jpg
    20190815_120002.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190815_120031.jpg
    20190815_120031.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190815_120106.jpg
    20190815_120106.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 91
Thank you for coming back with an updated review and such detailed comments and photos; not many people take the time to do so after the novelty of a new bag has worn off and we really need more of these, as wear and tear is something of concern to most potential buyers. So thank you again! I'd love to read your review on your new tote too!:smile: