REVEAL: My very first Chanel, and why it's a seasonal bag

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. 40% off dresses, jumpsuits and sandals at Nordstrom. Sale ends Thursday at 9am EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hi there! So I'm a long-time lurker, but I've never posted a thread, much less a reveal, much less a reveal in the glorious annals of the Chanel subforum. But lo, here I am. Aaaaah!

chanel_shopping_bag.JPG

gail13 likes this.
  2. Ooooh a live one!

SophieProust likes this.
  3. First, a little context, because, let's face it, buying a bag is deeply personal. I've loved Chanel ever since my handbag obsession flared four years ago, but I never thought I would buy one. Why? First, the expense, but also: the conspicuousness. I've never been a fan of labels and logos, and I felt those double Cs -- as much as I admired them on other women -- would brand me in a way that made me feel uncomfortable.
    Chanel_pic_2.jpg

4. I'm waiting

SophieProust likes this.
  5. OPEN IT HEFFA!! LMFAO I'm kidding lol.

6. DYING!!! Hahaha

SophieProust likes this.
  7. Back after dinner......wait til I come back lol mmkay?

SophieProust likes this.
  8. Let's see

SophieProust likes this.
  9. #9 Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Ha ha!
    So several weeks ago, I go into Chanel with a friend (something I never do) and discover The Bag. The SA says only three boutiques in the U.S. have this specific bag (whether this is still true, who knows). I adore it, but there's major sticker shock. Keep in mind that the most I've spent on a bag, up until now, is $700. And that was three years ago. Chanel_pic_3.jpg

10. How many bags had I admired, pinned, and even purchased, only to return them - because somehow, they just weren't right?

As I stood in the boutique, clutching The Bag, I could tell by the way my friend was squinting at me that I resembled some wild, blood-lusty animal. What was five grand, really? When it meant satisfying a multi-year quest?
    Chanel_pic_4.jpg

11. #11 Jun 24, 2016
    I decided not to take the plunge. I F'ing loved it, and it would probably be sold out in six months, but the price was insanity. I reluctantly returned her to the SA and bid adieu.
    Chanel_pic_5.jpg

12. Uhhh 2 hours later and still not open??? I thought I was late!

SophieProust likes this.
  13. #13 Jun 24, 2016
    Fast forward two weeks, and I'm in Rome. It's the last day of an amazing stay in a magical city. And I think: I'll just go into Chanel. I'll just give her another look.

The saleswoman, Chiara, brought me the bag. And when she whipped out her calculator and showed me the price, excluding VAT - and I realized I'd save nearly 25 percent if I bought it in Rome rather than the U.S. - well, how could I say no?

After all, it's from Chanel's Paris in Rome 2015/16 Métiers d'Art collection!
    Chanel_Chevron_255.JPG

14. Congrats!

SophieProust likes this.
  15. An hour later, I was sitting outside, happily sipping a glass of Barolo before dinner. Here's to something that's worth the wait!

Chanel_black_255_chevron.jpg