Reveal: My First New Coach Bag!

Erilynn25

Jul 17, 2016
I have owned other Coach bags, but they were all preowned. So I decided to buy my first brand new Coach bag during the Mother's Day sale!
20170521_193727-1.jpg 20170521_194120.jpg
Here is the Mercer 24 satchel in deep coral with mixed yankee floral wallet!

Since this is my first brand new bag (and most expensive) I want to make sure that I take care of it properly. I ordered some Apple Leather Cleaner and Conditioner along with the Apple Garde Rain & Stain Repellent. From what I read it sounds like I should apply the conditioner first and then the spray before I use the bag. I also read that these products should be applied periodically (but I'm not sure how often). Since the wallet is coated canvas, I am not sure if that should be sprayed too. If anyone has any tips on how to care for and store bags and wallets please let me know. Thank you!

I have owned other Coach bags, but they were all preowned. So I decided to buy my first brand new Coach bag during the Mother's Day sale!
View attachment 3706146 View attachment 3706147

Since this is my first brand new bag (and most expensive) I want to make sure that I take care of it properly. I ordered some Apple Leather Cleaner and Conditioner along with the Apple Garde Rain & Stain Repellent. From what I read it sounds like I should apply the conditioner first and then the spray before I use the bag. I also read that these products should be applied periodically (but I'm not sure how often). Since the wallet is coated canvas, I am not sure if that should be sprayed too. If anyone has any tips on how to care for and store bags and wallets please let me know. Thank you!
Congrats! Beautiful color. Enjoy your new bag!

Congrats on your first 'new' Coach purchase. Mercer seems like a great bag and i love the patterned wallet. I have no experience with apple guard so cannot help there, i always keep my bags in their dust bags and clean them promptly if something spills on them. In my experience my coated canvas wallets/wristlets i have not treated them i just wipe clean with a damp cloth, that is what is great about it, low maintenance. Enjoy!

View attachment 3706146 View attachment 3706147

Congratulations! A beautiful color. Enjoy!

Very pretty bag. I use the apple conditioner about 2xs a yr and always spray the guard after the conditioner is dry every time. I think a lot depends on where you live for how often to condition it but it if starts looking a bit dry it's definitely time to do so.

Congratulations! I only condition my bags when they need it. It depends on the type of leather. If it is something that I think might show wear quickly, like glove tanned leather, I'll condition more often. If it is a lighter color, I condition more often to prevent color transfer. I store my bags in their dust bags. Sometimes I'll keep the stuffing that came with the bag and put that inside the bag to help it keep its shape.

I don't think you need to do much to the coated canvas. However, since it is a lighter color, I would be inclined to use the stain repellent. I've never used Apple products so I don't know for sure if they are safe for coated canvas. I don't switch wallets often. The wallets I'm not using are stored in a drawer, not touching each other. If they have to touch, I would put them in dust bags.

A lot of care is dependent on where you live. People who live in humid environments have to worry about mold, and people who live in dry climates have to worry about leather drying out.