LV +Vat question...

I understand that VAT return is about 13% instead of the full 20% because LV goes thru a middle man who takes a cut of the VAT return. But is it possible to circumvent the middle man (Globalblue or something) and get the full 20%? That 7% over several thousand adds up :biggrin::
What middle man?! How do you avoid the middle man in the VAT process?

thank you

What middle man?! How do you avoid the middle man in the VAT process?

thank you
It's a point of confusion for me. VAT is about 20% for France and Italy, but from what I've read most people get about 12% because the 8% is taken by the city?/middleman company who handles the VAT process. It's either PABLO or Globalblue or something (supposedly making the process easier by having an electronic VAT process rather than mailing?). I'm trying to see if you can avoid the middleman or if one country is cheaper than another (eg Italy has higher prices but supposedly a higher VAT return??). If anyone knows, it'd be greatly appreciated!

It's a point of confusion for me. VAT is about 20% for France and Italy, but from what I've read most people get about 12% because the 8% is taken by the city?/middleman company who handles the VAT process. It's either PABLO or Globalblue or something (supposedly making the process easier by having an electronic VAT process rather than mailing?). I'm trying to see if you can avoid the middleman or if one country is cheaper than another (eg Italy has higher prices but supposedly a higher VAT return??). If anyone knows, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Good luck in finding your information

Last edited:
A couple of months ago I sought advice on tpf whether to get the Neverfull or the Marylebone...and after much deliberation I ended up buying the Marylebone GM at the Paris mothership!

photo (4).JPG

The purchase went smoothly, the SA was very friendly and polite, although she didn't know Marylebone off the top of her head. That rather surprised me and made me wonder if I had pronounced it wrong, but after checking the computer she got the bag, looking kinda sheepish. To be fair, though, I approached her at the clothing section since she seemed to be the only SA close by who wasn't already busy with a customer.

My last stop in the EU was Rome, so I applied for the VAT refund at the Rome airport (FCO). For reference, I first went to the Customs office (tiny little thing on the left if you're facing the security check), got the stamp, and then went to the Global Blue counter across from it. I chose to get my refund credited to my credit card so all I had to do was hand the form to the Global Blue lady. The refund will be credited in 2-4 weeks. You can choose to get cash (you'd get it immediately at the booth) but there's a small fee for that (~2%). PM me if you'd like more info on the whole process or the layout of the airport!

Thank you to everyone who had chimed in to help me with the whole Neverfull/Marylebone dilemma!