Reveal and Review - Sunshine & Rainbows

Vanana

I could give up shopping, but I'm not a quitter.
Jun 28, 2015
Reveal Time! It's been a few weeks since my last reveal so I've been good. :smile:

My latest, and a bonus surprise reveal - well sort of :P

IMG_3306.jpg

Reactions: chicnfab
Life's been hectic so minimal photos. However, when I got the call that this came in a week ago in both sizes for me, I didn't wait long. It took me over a week though to take photos and do this reveal but hey I'm finally getting around to it! :P

Since I procrastinated, I figure I'd include some mod shots with this, even though I'm just bumming around in my jeans and tee :smile:
IMG_3310.jpg

When I first saw the Chanel 16C Purple mermaid rainbow bag on the runway, I morphed into crazy woman mode. I loooove color: rainbow, iridescence, etc etc. when done right, gotta have it!

I took printscreens of the show before any magazines can post photos online and texted my SA with it. Must say, still one of my favorite and most treasured pieces in my collection and so glad I bought it. I've been waiting to add more rainbow hardware to my collection.

Oh the joy when I saw rainbows on the 17S runway. What does a crazy person do? same thing she did a year ago! text pictures to SA immediately and call dibs! :lol:

It's been a long wait but it's finally here.

17S Runway Bright Blue Iridescent PVC Cable Boy with RAINBOW Hardware (Old Medium Lambskin)!!!! :love:

I had some business travels but upon arrival at the airport and receipt of the text message, I hop over to the store to try them on!

It took me almost an hour to decide between the small size and the old medium size.

Small looked better when cross bodied, and Old medium looked better when single chained and double chained on one shoulder.

Ultimately, I decided that with the iridescent PVC cables, I wanted the panel to be more prominent and the shape to be more rectangular/wider - it just looked more balanced to me on the old medium size for this particular style since it's one big panel for the flap vs. the traditional quilted look. Also, I want to be able to wear it more frequently/easily so I thought Old medium gave me more of the versatility in looking better than the small size when double chained on shoulder.

First, here're some indoor photos under yellow toned lighting. I purposely took some photos in very low lighting (dark) so that you can see how the PVC actually still "glows" a bit with a neon iridescent like quality to it.

Also with flash under low indoor light.

***By the way, I'm baffled by the "genius" behind Chanel color names. M is not a color, it's an alphabet.... :shrugs:

IMG_3426.jpg IMG_3332.jpg IMG_3328.jpg IMG_3330.jpg

Now, some detail shots of the parts. love the little chains that were weaved through it - it reminds me of my Chanel tweed jackets and the chain on the bottom. :heart:

The inside panel is also with the PVC weave, and not lined in lambskin leather.

Now I know that there are going to be many who wants inside to be lined in leather. I would too, normally, but hear me out on this one: It's just my personal thoughts on it :smile:

I have so far carefully stayed away from LAMBSKIN boys. I felt for good reasons... For the boy bag shape, lambskin is just not as conducive for durability as calfskin, goatskin, or caviar. Corners and ledges that can potentially curl and all (if not stored properly).

When I saw this runway bag, let me be honest - I just have to have it anyway :P Too "me"!!

Yes I know it's not all leather, yes it probably cost them so much less in material - but again, when I think of Chanel, yes there's the cost of quality leather, workmanship, yada yada, but seriously I think for me it's 1) a luxury brand - the premium price tag just comes with it no matter how much we like to complain about it (and then pull out our Chanel caviar card cases to pay for it) 2) it's style and creativity - They just "get" me. That's it. I enjoy it and they are beautiful "things" that I enjoy owning and using. They complement my personal sense of style and I still love their quality. I mean, seriously, when I paid about $500 for that little tiny caviar card case, I really can't justify to myself that it's because the leather is SO good or because it's such a "complicated" design and so difficult to make - seriously, I would just feel dumb saying that... :P :lol:

Yes - we do see quality issues and I agree they really should and need to do better - I check my bags carefully when buying - but reality is, not much is like what they used to be no matter how much you pay. This is not a new phenomenon and not limited to Chanel. Whether or not they charge more does not drive a difference in this - because the underlying root cause/contributor is not just cost - but that would be entirely too long of a rant or social and economics debate and very off topic - so I'll refrain. Therefore, I focus on customer service instead where they are willing/not willing to make things right - and Chanel for me/in my experience always makes things right. in fact, above and beyond (and many ladies from our How to Wear your Chanel jacket thread expressed same positive experience) - so yes while recognizing there's decline in quality, I don't much complain on it (doesn't mean I agree it should have declining quality nor signify acceptance) - despite me being much of a perfectionist generally.

OK- back to topic (my mind wanders and I rant).

I preferred that this bag has the full panel using PVC - Because they used lambskin leather (instead of caviar/goat, etc). Now, why they used lambskin vs. sturdier leather? my guess is probably due to the technical challenges associated with ensuring that from a long term perspective how the leather can remain attached in a sturdy way against the stiff and thick PVC panel of this size. That's my guess. The weaving is thick and very tight. would it have made me a much happier gal if it was in caviar or goatskin? you bet.

Here's the deal... I feel that IF the boy bag must be lambskin, then it's a great thing that the panel including half of the inside is PVC. It is 1) scratch proof 2) it gives the otherwise softer lambskin leather the needed structure - especially over time.

Now I've previously talked about how I store my boy bag and all of them are stored standing up with stuffing between the "edges". However, with no "quilts" to flatten but rather the lambskin "edges", I will happily store this boy bag lying down with no worries.

I'm not too stuck on one or two things about a bag (or things) but rather prefer to look at the attributes as a whole and determine if from an alternative angle the pros & cons. then decide if the item is an issue or worthwhile. I try anyway. :P

I love that they braided silver/bronze leather into the shoulder strap, and that they did not use the see through panel of the body from the runway bags but rather used consistent leather instead.

IMG_3320.jpg IMG_3324.jpg IMG_3424.jpg IMG_3425.jpg

Last edited:
I know that TraceySH posted about the horrible smell on her recent purchase of this same bag (that's extremely bad!!) and so glad that she can return it. I must say though at least with mine (and the other small size one that I played around with for over an hour) did not have any smell that came to me/noticeable.

That was a true shame because I had fully expected TRaceySH with her awesome cool style to love this bag - and she did bought it - but unfortunately it seems that it was a lemon... a bad one :sad:

When I saw that thread, I pulled my bag out and made everyone in my family smell it (EVERY. ONE.) :lol: :lol:

Yes - everyone can smell a faint plastic? smell if we take a really deep breath with our nose up against it, but even then not quite the smell described in that thread either of "cheap" toxic smell.

No - unless we stick our nose on the bag and take a deep whiff, we do not smell anything coming from the bag, not even when we breath normally near the bag.

Honestly I didn't try to specifically smell the other bag when I was at the store, but it was not something that came to me/memorable and from what TRaceySH described in her thread, the smell on that bag was a widespread horrible smell issue that is not subtle.

Both bags (the one I have and the small size one at the store) were brand spanking new - meaning all the stickers and wrapping of paper still taped to it from shipment to the store (so I don't think it has to do with theory of "airing out". My guess is, for some reason there may be a "bad batch" or some that had issues and unfortunately (and unforgivably) sent off to customers for sale.

So as usual, I would say, check the goods before buying. Even for the classic caviar bags, we know that there are ones that look "dull" and "plastic like". I liken this to the chevron bags - I would not get one that had wrinkles as those with it are prone to it and those that didn't tend to not (at least in my limited experience with it) - which means you COULD get a great unique bag with no quality issue, but unfortunately we now know that there's a possibility that the issue that happened there is not the only one. However, I would not see it differently than like the chevron pattern checks and the caviar quality checks that we all know to do. (e.g., I will still buy chevron bags and we will all continue to love it - rationally or irrationally).

Not saying that the smell problem is ok or that it's not a much worse issue than having a few chevron wrinkles, but the "treatment" or "preventive action" is the same. Meaning it would be irrational to think that all of them have this issue. Just like not all chanel caviar bags are dull and plastic like, that would be too sad. should it happen at all? nope. but such is life. It is absolutely crucial that they make the situation right for their customer though - no doubt about that.

OK... now onto some natural daylight photos. This baby REALLY shines :loveeyes:

IMG_3455.jpg IMG_3448.jpg

Last edited:
Next, as mentioned in beginning of reveal, I was recently away from home for a few days. When I got home, there was a box waiting. A box with Chanel on the label is always the best kind of surprise! I had no idea what this was - even better :biggrin:

It was a big box, so it was double the excitement!

IMG_3279.jpg

Love the zipper pull design and also the interior has a middle zipper compartment,2 pockets on one side, and an elastic pocket on the other side.

A comparison shot against my 15"? laptop for size perspective. :smile:

Honestly, I haven't decided if I would use for travel or use as part of my vanity set at home to organize and display. (always makes me happy when I see gorgeous chanel lambskin). Maybe both?

IMG_3476.jpg IMG_3478.jpg IMG_3479.jpg IMG_3480.jpg

Oohhh the close up pics shows the details, sheen and beauty!! The PVC looks like tweed from a distance and is really unique and showing the art of work!
Congrats on this beauty!!
And what a beautiful gift you got from your sales team, very nice of them!

Reactions: Vanana
How beautiful. Congratulations on your new purchase!!!
Thank you so much! It's been highly anticipated for sure, and when I found out that each place I usually buy from only has 1, it was even more anticipated. :P

What a beauty and your mod shot looks perfect!!! Congrats & Enjoy :smile:
Thank you! I feel like I should be able to use it lots since it should be less delicate than leather :lol:

That boy bag is truly a stunning work of art!

Your Chanel team is so sweet to send you such a nice gift!

Thanks, they know that I only have boys at home and felt badly for me I'm sure. :lol: