Returning an item to seller in Canada - Help please!

DimpleGirl

It's never enough
O.G.
Oct 5, 2007
I've recently purchased a Chanel Reissue from a seller in Canada. The bag was not as described so I filed a SNAD and paypal decided in my favor. So, I'm getting ready to ship back the bag to the seller.
The seller is from Canada. What is the best way for me to ship back the item? The price that I paid for the bag is $2500, do I declare the full value on the custom form? Is the seller responsible for the custom fee? When the seller shipped the bag to me, she under declared the value and listed as a gift (I didn't ask her to do it), so is it "wrong" for me to make have her responsible for the custom fee?
Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The seller is not liable for customs fees on returns. I'm sure there is a "right" way to do this and it is good you are asking the question. I expect Cyndee or Stylefly would know. I'm sure there are others. If someone doesn't respond to the thread soon, you may want to PM one of them and let us all know (for future reference).

I'm not sure if the same option is listed on the handwritten form at the post office but there's a "returned good" (or something close to that) option to check off when you buy postage online. I've never had to use it but I suppose that option is there for situations like yours. I'd send the package under that classification and with FULL insurance.

You have to mark it as Returned Goods and make sure to send it USPS. If sent with any other carrier she will have to pay a brokerage.

Had that happen and it took many messages, filling out forms, phone calls and etc to not have to pay the brokerage and customs on my own goods.

I have shipped the item out today via USPS Express with full insurance which costed $50 :sad:. I couldn't ship through USPS priority international as their insurance only covers up to $700. So I had to upgrade to USPS Express in order to purchase full insurance. On the custom form, I marked the item as returned goods. I also included Paypal claim in the package. Did I miss anything else? It kinda sucks that I'm out of $50 for nothing and the seller was just horrible to deal with.
Hopefully the item will arrived safely and I will get my money back soon.
Thanks everyone for you advices!