Returned or substandard bags

Mooshooshoo

Oct 19, 2011
Hi,

I have noticed lately an increase in bags being sold on ebay which are marked as returns or substandard by Mulberry.
Whilst I appreciate these are sold via the outlet/factory shops, the fault or reason for return are usually clearly identified and the buyer can make an informed purchase. I also appreciate it is perfectly legal to sell these bags on, i have certainly bought one - in full knowledge - and have been more than happy with my purchase.
What concerns me is that the majority of the bags currently being advertised have no mention of the fact that they are not perfect quality, however, they are mostly priced as though they were.
Is there anything that can be done to enforce sellers to identify when they are selling such bags?

:thinking::thinking:

I'm not sure that ebay would do anything. It makes money from these sellers and would be biting the hand that feeds them. I find myself looking at what the person has sold in the past and if they are selling a lot of "new" bags I assume they are buying from one of the outlets. If they don't list the item with the the reason why it was at the outlet I would ask questions. My oak bays was on outlet one from ebay but the seller made it clear and had plenty of pictures so I knew what I was getting.

You're probably right!
I've also bought seconds, but like you I've done so knowingly and have had no issues. My concern is more for folk who aren't aware of this forum or the expert help we have available to us here, or perhaps the knowledge of outlet shops and that such exist.
Surely to advertise a known second, sub or return without including such information is misrepresentation - and as such I would have thought there ought to be something that could be done to protect buyers??

:shrugs::shrugs::shrugs:

I'm not sure that ebay would do anything. It makes money from these sellers and would be biting the hand that feeds them. I find myself looking at what the person has sold in the past and if they are selling a lot of "new" bags I assume they are buying from one of the outlets. If they don't list the item with the the reason why it was at the outlet I would ask questions. My oak bays was on outlet one from ebay but the seller made it clear and had plenty of pictures so I knew what I was getting.

My mum sells alot of new mulberry bags of mine not because there is anything wrong with them more the fact of i buy them and dont use them so no point keeping something un used

Unfortunately the sellers are out to make a profit. When I decided I wanted a Mulberry bag I did my homework first. I didn't have had a clue what to look for but I found this forum. Ladies who are buying are just looking for a bargain but should remember if it is going too cheap there is probably a good reason for it. I suppose the best advice I would give someone is buy from sellers who accept returns if you can't tell from the listing what is wrong with the bag.

My mum sells alot of new mulberry bags of mine not because there is anything wrong with them more the fact of i buy them and dont use them so no point keeping something un used

Hi Sunblock,

The sellers I am referring to appear to be buying sub or returns bags from the outlets and then selling them on as though they were perfects.
I don't think you, your Mum or any of the TPF ladies (or gents) would use such practice, and describe things honestly, allowing sellers to make an informed choice.

:smile:

Sunblock it's something I have done too. I think the opening post is only referring to people who list a lot of bags which are clearly from outlets but don't say what the fault is.

:thinking:Mooshooshoo, I suppose buyers would, if they pay using paypal, do a not as described if the bag they buy doesn't match the description once the have received it? I have had to in the past.

I totally agree with Mooshooshoo here. I have bought bags on ebay that have come from an outlet and have been really happy with them. However , if I bought a bag and it transpired that it was sub standard and i did not know about it prior to purchase i would not be happy and I would convey that to the seller.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with selling bags that you have either bought and not used or have moved on from. Personally, if I didn't move on some of my bags i wouldn't be able to buy new ones.
However, I do believe that the seller should state the source of a bag and let the buyer make an informed choice. Unfortunately that will never happen in 100% of eBay listings and eBay will never force people to do so. I do know that mulberry have on occasion refused to sell to someone because they were reselling items they had bought from an outlet. There is a thread on here about it from a while back.
I think we should all be happy that we have this forum and through this we can get a lot of information and assistance with our purchases.

Good point.
It does seem very wrong though. There's one on at the minute which is very clearly marked. I've emailed and asked what the fault was on the bag, but have had no reply at all. It is on an auction but has a buy it now slightly under full price!

:nono::nono:

Hi Sunblock,

The sellers I am referring to appear to be buying sub or returns bags from the outlets and then selling them on as though they were perfects.
I don't think you, your Mum or any of the TPF ladies (or gents) would use such practice, and describe things honestly, allowing sellers to make an informed choice.

:smile:

Ohh haha nooo not me. Think i miss read what you wrote first

The sellers aren't breaching any ebay rules, but Mulberry have been concerned about this for some years and that is part of the reason why they disallowed the use of the shareholder's discount in the outlet/factory stores, as some sellers were buying vast quantities of past season and 0 stamped items and selling them as full price. Mulberry wrote this time last year, and have also done so previously, to those who purchased largeish quantities, stopped them using their shareholder's discount, and advised them that they did not want their items sold as full price when they were not. Of course, it hasn't stopped it happening, the sellers in question, just increased their asking prices to compensate for the lack of a 20% discount.

Mulberry will remove any cut/scored through label items though if they are made aware and they will also remove the 'dodgy darias' too, as those were clearly labelled in the store as not being for resale.

The sellers aren't breaching any ebay rules, but Mulberry have been concerned about this for some years and that is part of the reason why they disallowed the use of the shareholder's discount in the outlet/factory stores, as some sellers were buying vast quantities of past season and 0 stamped items and selling them as full price. Mulberry wrote this time last year, and have also done so previously, to those who purchased largeish quantities, stopped them using their shareholder's discount, and advised them that they did not want their items sold as full price when they were not. Of course, it hasn't stopped it happening, the sellers in question, just increased their asking prices to compensate for the lack of a 20% discount.

Mulberry will remove any cut/scored through label items though if they are made aware and they will also remove the 'dodgy darias' too, as those were clearly labelled in the store as not being for resale.

Hi Jazzy,
Many thanks for the info. I realise it would be difficult for ebay to do anything, but it does seem really galling that such misrepresentation can go unchecked. I suppose we could list them for comment by the authenticators to highlight, not much else really.....

:shrugs:

Hi, can anybody give me some advice please.
I bought the black oversized alexa a week ago from Flannels. Love it, however when I have gone into selfridges and looked at over black OS alexas, mine looks VERY wrinkly in comparison? I am a bit confused as to why mine looks so different, it is black buffalo leather . There are no problems with the bag like scratches etc or marks inside it is just the leather that looks very old.

I know Mulberry leather ages differently however I thought this would happen over time??

Does anybody have any advice about what I should do? PS - I also know that this was the last bag that Flannels had in stock in the entire company xx

hi, can anybody give me some advice please.
I bought the black oversized alexa a week ago from flannels. Love it, however when i have gone into selfridges and looked at over black os alexas, mine looks very wrinkly in comparison? I am a bit confused as to why mine looks so different, it is black buffalo leather . There are no problems with the bag like scratches etc or marks inside it is just the leather that looks very old.

I know mulberry leather ages differently however i thought this would happen over time??

Does anybody have any advice about what i should do? Ps - i also know that this was the last bag that flannels had in stock in the entire company xx

please note my bag also looks a lot shinier! I will post a pic so hopefully you can get an idea of what i mean xx

Attachments

• IMG-20111222-00444.jpg
    IMG-20111222-00444.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,898