Retourne vs. Sellier Kellys

Like louise_elouise stated, sellier is sleeker and more elegant. It also holds less because the sides turn inwards instead of being more slouchy and forgiving if you want to carry something that stretches the limit of what your bag will hold.

Reactions: Vln
For me, it's a personal preference for structured style of sellier versus more relaxed silhouette of retourne. And leather also influences the choice... If box calf or chevre, then I would go sellier all the way... but if togo, then I would do retourne.

Reactions: Vln, Lejic and Ulf
It would be so nice to have some comparison shots, will take some of mine. I have both too, and they are very very different bags. Sellier is sculptural,with a more architectural feel. When I first got the kelly madness, I was only interested in sellier. But after I tried the retourner I just loved the way it looks so non-chalant. Kind of easy elegance, next to her uptight cousin.:biggrin:

It would be so nice to have some comparison shots, will take some of mine. I have both too, and they are very very different bags. Sellier is sculptural,with a more architectural feel. When I first got the kelly madness, I was only interested in sellier. But after I tried the retourner I just loved the way it looks so non-chalant. Kind of easy elegance, next to her uptight cousin.:biggrin:
I just looked at your blog. Lovely photos and thoughts.

Reactions: ladysarah
I used to own two Kelly's (32 and 25), both retourne. I ended up selling them, because I'm more of a Birkin girl (at least that's what I thought). I'm now on the waitlist for a K25 Sellier - I guess for me, it would be a different style compared to my Birkin's. It's more structured, elegant.

Reactions: Vln
I have both sellier and retourne as I see them as completely different bags. For smaller Kelly (20,25,28) I prefer the sellier as I like the structure in smaller bags.
7DF35576-4E90-42BD-B999-CA166E5E94A6.jpeg

For my 35 and 40 kelly, I only have them in retourne as I use them as work bags and prefer the more casual look. They also fit quite a bit. I can fit my work tablet along with the usual wallet, keys and phone and still have room for more.
1B333D66-A40F-4182-AF64-7F8BCAB26F42.jpeg

For the 32 kelly, I have both and which one i use depends on the occasion...the 32 sellier is dressier while the 32 retourne is more of a “on the go” casual bag.

AED9618C-C14B-4E90-A4A7-EC137FCBED52.jpeg

Happy New Year to all the fellow TPFers. :happydance:

We are pretty much on lockdown in London but let me see if I can take some photos to add to this. I think styling photos makes a huge contribution to this chat. Thank you @jp824

I have both sellier and retourne as I see them as completely different bags. For smaller Kelly (20,25,28) I prefer the sellier as I like the structure in smaller bags.
View attachment 4941925

For my 35 and 40 kelly, I only have them in retourne as I use them as work bags and prefer the more casual look. They also fit quite a bit. I can fit my work tablet along with the usual wallet, keys and phone and still have room for more.
View attachment 4941926

For the 32 kelly, I have both and which one i use depends on the occasion...the 32 sellier is dressier while the 32 retourne is more of a “on the go” casual bag.

View attachment 4941933
OoooMmmmGggg I love your Kelly’s so much, I cannot pick a favorite!!!
How do you even choose in the morning!?! I would run late every day with such a dilemma!

Hi everyone! i’m looking to purchase my first kelly 25 and would like some advice on whether to get retourne or sellier

i prefer the softer look of retourne yet i’m afraid the bag might lose it’s shape after awhile

the sellier seems to hold it’s shape much better but it seems bulkier as well

hoping kelly owners can share their lovely photos for references to help me decide

Hello! Congratulations on deciding on your first kelly, you must be really excited! If you’re set on the look of the retourne, don’t worry too much about it losing its shape as there are leathers in retourne that actually don’t lose its shape especially with a 25 as it’s smaller. Obviously your options buying preloved will be more than buying in store but box, Courchevel, and Epsom in retourne really holds its shape.

You’re right about sellier keeping its structure (except for sellier mou) and it tends to look bigger too.
CE943D00-F3C1-481D-819F-A4E77F3C5E7D.jpeg
Here’s my box kelly bleu marine 32 from 1988 without any slouch at all.

BA8EDFC4-A3A4-4F42-8B91-0B3FB24B0ED5.jpegHere’s my box kelly noir next to my Epsom sellier, the box barely slouches.

All the photos in this post are all size 32 just to show how even with a bigger size they don’t slouch, much less in a smaller size. I’m not a fan of exotic leather but I think crocodile and ostrich keeps it shape too with a retourne. I’d just avoid clemence, swift, gulliver, and togo in retourne if you really don’t want it’s slouch.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck!

Hello! Congratulations on deciding on your first kelly, you must be really excited! If you’re set on the look of the retourne, don’t worry too much about it losing its shape as there are leathers in retourne that actually don’t lose its shape especially with a 25 as it’s smaller. Obviously your options buying preloved will be more than buying in store but box, Courchevel, and Epsom in retourne really holds its shape.

You’re right about sellier keeping its structure (except for sellier mou) and it tends to look bigger too.
View attachment 5731821
Here’s my box kelly bleu marine 32 from 1988 without any slouch at all.

View attachment 5731822Here’s my box kelly noir next to my Epsom sellier, the box barely slouches.

All the photos in this post are all size 32 just to show how even with a bigger size they don’t slouch, much less in a smaller size. I’m not a fan of exotic leather but I think crocodile and ostrich keeps it shape too with a retourne. I’d just avoid clemence, swift, gulliver, and togo in retourne if you really don’t want it’s slouch.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck!
thank you for the lovely comparison photos!

the black box kelly is gorgeous!

i prefer something that is more relaxed as well that i can match with denim shorts

so likely epsom retourne would be a good fit

hopefully i can find something in the secondary market

love the black or etoupe with ghw