Retinol and sensitivity!

meluvs2shop

In Love
O.G.
Jul 15, 2007
I know it’s very common and I should have added a moisturizer with my PM retinol. Now my face is all blotchy and red. I know that can be common especially with sensitive skin like mine. My issue is I’m traveling tmrw and going to a hot humid area. And the sun will make it worse. I will wear a hat and SPF, of course, but in the mean time what can I do to calm down the inflammation? I’m not going to use retinol until I come back from vacation and I’ll also not use it everyday for now.

Any quick home remedies to calm down the redness and hive like on my face!

Please help.

Was this your first time using a retinol? If you used it last night and woke up with a red face, I'd say you probably don't need to do anything special to calm your skin. Skin is remarkably resilient and it is already at work repairing itself. By tomorrow when you leave it should be much better. Use a very mild moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated.

When you come home and want to try it again, start with a small amount at first and then slowly increase over several weeks to allow your skin time to adjust to it. The biggest risk with retinols and retinoids is using too much, too soon.

Reactions: lulu212121
Try a really rich moisturizer. One with redness calming properties like tiger grass (Dr Jart+ Cicapair line for example), feverfew (Aveeno Ultra-Calming line), or calls out rosacea relief (Clinique Redness Solutions) might help. My skin usually clears itself within a day or two but a nice moisturizing treatment feels great during that time.

ETA: I also love a face mask at night. I don't do the full Korean beauty line up ever except in moments like these where I want a lot of moisture.

I would try massaging a few drops of tea tree oil at night—it's a natural anti-inflammatory. You can find it at Ulta or any pharmacy. Then, follow with a chilled face cloth to try and sooth your skin. Exclude any daily face care more complex than a simple cleanser, moisturizer, and SPF until the inflammation is under control. Hope everything clears up soon!

Reactions: Melocoton
Cold compress. Cool water. maybe some cortisone cream or aloe, but ask your doctor and test a tiny spot first. Twice years ago my skin got so irritated (from over enthusiastic application of essential oils :sad: ) that even lotion and sun screen burned. I went to the doctor (I think he may have prescribed prednisone but I actually cannot remember) and I recommend a very wide brimmed hat. And, no booze but maybe that was the prescription . . . Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:
Do you have to use retinol or are you open to trying another retinoid? Granactive retinoid works as well as (maybe even better than) retinol, without the associated side effects.

There are very affordable options from The Ordinary you can try which includes an emulsion that also contains retinol. It is apparently a favorite of Kim Kardashian.

I use a retinol 1%. I use it nightly. But, to keep my skin hydrated and to help with the potential irritation caused by retinol, I put on a layer of vaseline as the last step of my night time routine before bed. I wipe the vaseline off the next morning and my face is smooth and plump with no irritation. Always feeling super hydrated. This method has truly saved my skin. Although, I have built up retinol resilience over time, so I don't get as much irritation with the retinol 1%.

During the day, I DO NOT wear retinol. But you HAVE TO use sunscreen. Wear sunscreen always when going out. It is the best thing you can do for your skin, especially if you are using retinol at night.

Another way to use Retinol for beginners or people with sensitive skin is to “Sandwich“ it between layers of moisturizer. It minimizes irritation and keeps your skin from drying out compared to putting it on without (Moisturizer - Retinol - Moisturizer). I also am careful on making sure my skin is completely dry before putting it on. Wet or even damp skin makes the retinol penetrate deeper which increases the risk of irritation. As Yoshi1296 mentioned sunscreen is essential