Retaliatory Feedback Rant!

I wrote a big long rant-y post on this in "so....how long does it take you to pay?". My point was, I think it's kind of wrong that sellers won't leave FB until the buyer has. From my perspective, once the buyer has paid, s/he has fulfilled her part of the bargain. It creates negative incentives for sellers to refuse to leave FB until the buyer has left hers.

Yes, I see what you mean, but I also see what Joy2shop means about there being more to a transaction than just paying; as a bad buyer might pretend not to receive something, or make up a problem with it.

It's very tricky... :s

what really bothers me with the fb system on ebay is how some sellers "hostage" the positive feedbacks for the buyers --- like they wont give you (the buyer) a positive until you leave them a positive feedback. i mean, come on, i won the item, paid immediately. doesnt that merit a positive? i have actually complained to ebay about it but they said they cannot do anything about it :cursing:

Yes, ITA, that is very wrong. :yes:

As I say, there is a little more to being a good buyer than paying fast, but that doesn't make it OK for a seller to say; 'Once you have received the item, please leave me a positive and I will do the same for you.'.

Which could, sometimes, just as well, be interpreted as; 'If it arrives SNAD, or not at all and you leave me a neg, I will do the same for you.'. :s

Although, to be fair, I don't think all sellers who say that, mean it like that.

I had an even better situation.

I bought a small item and paid immediately. I waited 3 weeks (no contact or updates from seller even though I sent 2 messages a week after 10 days, no item or contact), then filed a paypal dispute to get seller's attention.

When I finally got a response, it was nasty and rude. Item finally arrived a week later, in bad condition. It also reeked of smoke. Even though I could've gone after SNAD, I closed the dispute since I had the item.

I left positive feedback though I said that the seller didn't have the best communication I'd seen. Incredibly, I got NEGATIVE feedback that said "too hard to do business with".

So apparently wanting an item in less than a month's time and a heads-up if it reeks (I mean the whole box stunk, let alone the contents) of smoke is too much.

Ebay really sucks these days.

Unbelievable! You left her a positive and she left you a negative, after you had to file a dispute, just to, finally, get a SNAD condition item? :wtf:

What's wrong with some people? :shrugs:

Oh I had a charmer too. This buyer wanted me to sell her a $175.00 dress for $35.00 outside of ebay, after she was the high bidder on another one I had listed. I told her no. So she starts complaining right off the bat about shipping before I had even shipped the dress she did win. Then she was pissed because it took 4 days to get to her, and then she says, it's not NWT, because it was from a previous season, even though it had the tags on it and was never worn, then she says I didn't "insure" the dress and charged her too much for postage, and then she threatens me with a negative feedback and I told her to shove it. All because I wouldn't sell her the other dress for pennies on the dollar. Guess what??? She leaves me a negative anyway...

Yeah, chloehandbags, you and joy2shop make a good point about there being more to being a buyer than just paying. I am terrified to sell my bags on eBay because I'm afraid of issues with buyers even though all my bags are the real deal...I am just being short-sighted and thinking only of myself, the perfect feedback honest buyer ;)

Yeah, chloehandbags, you and joy2shop make a good point about there being more to being a buyer than just paying. I am terrified to sell my bags on eBay because I'm afraid of issues with buyers even though all my bags are the real deal...I am just being short-sighted and thinking only of myself, the perfect feedback honest buyer ;)
I say go for it. Look, ebay has a lot of drawbacks, and we've all had BAAADDDDD experiences, but there are also a ton of great and honest people on there looking for specific bags. Please don't let the negatives prohibit you from listing and trying to sell. My advice is start off with one item, do your homework, and keep an eye out for the things that you've read on here. Plus, you've got TPF/ebay forum to help out if you get in a situation!:tup:

I agree with CitCat and say go for it too! Sure it's a bit scary at times but it's a lot of fun too and I've dealt with some great people. The positive experiences far outweigh the negative ones.:tup:

As a seller, I usually don't leave feedback until I've heard back from the buyer either by email or via the feedback system, that they have the item and they're happy. For me, the transaction isn't completely finished until that point therefore I don't leave feedback earlier.

I do agree that paying immediately does mean a lot and in most cases when that happens the whole transaction goes smoothly. But there's always a possibility too that something could go wrong with shipping or perhaps the buyer doesn't like the item or has buyers remorse and isn't being reasonable. Whether it be the fault of the buyer or seller or neither, don't you think that the reaction from the buyer (and seller) in that situation should have a bearing on feedback too?

For example, I'm in Canada but most of my items are sold to people in the U.S. I always mail an item out within 48 hours after payment but sometimes it takes longer than it should to reach the buyer for various reasons out of my control. If a buyer is being unreasonable and rude or perhaps leaves negative feedback for something out of my control, shouldn't I be able to take that into account in my feedback for them? KWIM?
I hope this makes sense. I tend to get a little windy! :lol:

i get what you're saying... but sometimes, its just so annoying. i have been doing ebay since 2001 and i only have about 60+ feedbacks all positive. i must have done about 200 transactions on ebay ( i only buy on ebay, i dont sell). i just dont bother leaving a feedback if the seller doesnt recognize the immediate payment as soon as the auction ends. like the most recent item that i got in ebay, i paid for like $700 immediately after the auction ended. seller said on auction that item will be sent through priority mail and was charging me $25 for shipping. i get the item 10 days after shipped through ups ground. after 5 days of winning the auction, i HAD to ask him if the item shipped already because there was no nothing from the seller. and he had the nerve to ask me for a positive feedback. he said he will give me a positive after i post a positive on him. i guess its a double edged sword... for honest sellers like you, you see it differently from honest buyers like me. idk... its ebay, i guess, love it or leave it..:lol:

i i get the item 10 days after shipped through ups ground. after 5 days of winning the auction, i HAD to ask him if the item shipped already because there was no nothing from the seller. and he had the nerve to ask me for a positive feedback. he said he will give me a positive after i post a positive on him. i guess its a double edged sword... for honest sellers like you, you see it differently from honest buyers like me. idk... its ebay, i guess, love it or leave it..:lol:

This is why I think the new feedback policy will bring some credibility back to the feedback system although of course it's never going to be perfect. Too many sellers are withholding feedback to wait and see what's left for them - and buyers that are unhappy are afraid to say so because they know then that a negative will be left for them in return. It's like a stand-off. Not a very popular opinion here but there it is. ;)

Linda

This is why I think the new feedback policy will bring some credibility back to the feedback system although of course it's never going to be perfect. Too many sellers are withholding feedback to wait and see what's left for them - and buyers that are unhappy are afraid to say so because they know then that a negative will be left for them in return. It's like a stand-off. Not a very popular opinion here but there it is. ;)

Linda

One way feedback will not restore credibility.
Mutual feedback is the backbone of Ebay and nothing stands to improve by
being one-sided.
Linda, you are one of the honest Buyers on Ebay.
Sadly, there are many unscrupulous Buyers who will use this to further exploit Sellers and Sellers will have no means to warn other members. :shame:

My most annoying one was for this catalog I posted about here awhile back, apparently people were bidding thinking I was selling the BAG on the catalog, when I most definitely was NOT.
Then before it was ending, this lady threatens to report me to ebay for a misleading auction if I didn't cancel her bid.
Um let's see, it was in the CATALOG section, I had pictures of the catalog itself and make NO references to actually auctioning a bag, yet she (and another person) took it upon themselves to believe it was for a BAG.
And this is my fault, why??
Bidders are just as bad lately, people like this are seriously a discredit to ebay. Don't read the auction, then blame it on the seller because you tried to read between the lines and conjure up something that was never alluded to in the first place. :tdown: