Retaliatory Feedback Rant!

I think some people (maybe most of them) leave retaliatory negative feedback in the hopes that the other person will request that they mutually withdraw both comments. I have seen sellers with only 3 or 4 negatives but 36 mutually withdrawn feedback!! This tells me they are getting LOTS of negatives and leaving retaliatory feedback so they can do a mutual withdrawal. I pay close attention to the number of mutual withdrawals any seller has! ;)

I really do think that a feedback system is important and often helps keep people "honest" but the Ebay system seems to enable those who would rather blame someone else than take responsibility for their own actions.

I'm not sure what the total solution is but I don't understand why a non paying bidder is allowed to leave ANY feedback regardless of whether or not they respond to the npb claim. By not paying they are not following through on their promise to pay for an item, why on earth should they be allowed to make a comment about the seller?? Oh and I assume they get to check off the stars too. I wonder how they can judge if the item was as described was or if the shipping was quick when their non payment stopped any of that from happening! Sooo strange.:upsidedown:

Yes, good point. :yes:

The only time I think it's appropriate to leave a negative when one hasn't paid, is if one has discovered that the seller definitely sells fakes/SNAD items, is a scammer in some other way and/or has been very rude for no apparent/good reason.

The type of feedback that truly entertains me is the one where people leave feedback about the item NOT the transaction. eg. 'The bag doesn't match my shoes', 'This cream isn't very moisturising', etc.

Let's hope someone comes up with an alternative to eBay someday soon!

If the feedback broke any ebay feedback rule, the feedback may be removed by ebay (not mutual withdrawal):
http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/questions/retaliatory-feedback.html

Thanks for the link, cola! :flowers:

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to fall under any of those rules and retaliatory and undeserved feedback, alone, isn't a valid reason, apparently. :tdown:

Although, they do say:

'If you've received retaliatory and undeserved Feedback, you may be hesitant to leave negative Feedback for others in the future. However, we advise you to always speak the truth about your experiences with other eBay members. If you feel negative Feedback is appropriate, you should leave it. Your comment may help prevent another member from experiencing the same situation.'

So, they know it's a problem, but they, obviously, think encouraging people to think of others, before themselves, is a valid solution. :blink: :upsidedown:

The type of feedback that truly entertains me is the one where people leave feedback about the item NOT the transaction. eg. 'The bag doesn't match my shoes', 'This cream isn't very moisturising', etc.

Let's hope someone comes up with an alternative to eBay someday soon!

Yes, I know what you mean. :yes:

The second comment you mention might be valid if the seller is selling some sort of obscure, or homemade, product that she claims is very moisturising, but isn't; or a fake, or very old product.

But it is certainly not the fault of the seller if the buyer buys an authentic, proprietary brand (within its sell-by date), for the first time and then decides she doesn't like it. :nogood:

I did opt to use Square Trade, however, and for $30 her negative was removed from my account, thus restoring my 100% pos FB. The best part about it was that the neg I left her remained.

lori, please could you let me know how you managed to achieve that, because, I have opened a case with SquareTrade, as is discussed in this thread:

http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-for...-cancels-sale-buyer-automatically-239933.html

...but, SquareTrade have said that they can only help me negotiate with the seller and that, if she won't remove the retaliatory feedback she left for me (which she won't), I have to offer her a mutual withdrawal of feedback; which I can't, in all conscience, do, because she has, clearly, lied.

I wrote a big long rant-y post on this in "so....how long does it take you to pay?". My point was, I think it's kind of wrong that sellers won't leave FB until the buyer has. From my perspective, once the buyer has paid, s/he has fulfilled her part of the bargain. It creates negative incentives for sellers to refuse to leave FB until the buyer has left hers.

what really bothers me with the fb system on ebay is how some sellers "hostage" the positive feedbacks for the buyers --- like they wont give you (the buyer) a positive until you leave them a positive feedback. i mean, come on, i won the item, paid immediately. doesnt that merit a positive? i have actually complained to ebay about it but they said they cannot do anything about it :cursing:

If I sell anything in future, I will just have to state; '100% positive feedback from buyers!' in my auctions.

Please, please don't do that! :crybaby:

There are some of us GREAT BUYERS that have the courage to leave a negative for a non-performing or even worse, unethical and lying Sellers.
My 100% Buyer feedback was ruined by my retaliatory negative and I'd hate to be blocked from purchasing from GREAT Sellers because I did the proper brave thing to warn others... :s

I had an even better situation.

I bought a small item and paid immediately. I waited 3 weeks (no contact or updates from seller even though I sent 2 messages a week after 10 days, no item or contact), then filed a paypal dispute to get seller's attention.

When I finally got a response, it was nasty and rude. Item finally arrived a week later, in bad condition. It also reeked of smoke. Even though I could've gone after SNAD, I closed the dispute since I had the item.

I left positive feedback though I said that the seller didn't have the best communication I'd seen. Incredibly, I got NEGATIVE feedback that said "too hard to do business with".

So apparently wanting an item in less than a month's time and a heads-up if it reeks (I mean the whole box stunk, let alone the contents) of smoke is too much.

Ebay really sucks these days.

what really bothers me with the fb system on ebay is how some sellers "hostage" the positive feedbacks for the buyers --- like they wont give you (the buyer) a positive until you leave them a positive feedback. i mean, come on, i won the item, paid immediately. doesnt that merit a positive? i have actually complained to ebay about it but they said they cannot do anything about it :cursing:

As a seller, I usually don't leave feedback until I've heard back from the buyer either by email or via the feedback system, that they have the item and they're happy. For me, the transaction isn't completely finished until that point therefore I don't leave feedback earlier.

I do agree that paying immediately does mean a lot and in most cases when that happens the whole transaction goes smoothly. But there's always a possibility too that something could go wrong with shipping or perhaps the buyer doesn't like the item or has buyers remorse and isn't being reasonable. Whether it be the fault of the buyer or seller or neither, don't you think that the reaction from the buyer (and seller) in that situation should have a bearing on feedback too?

For example, I'm in Canada but most of my items are sold to people in the U.S. I always mail an item out within 48 hours after payment but sometimes it takes longer than it should to reach the buyer for various reasons out of my control. If a buyer is being unreasonable and rude or perhaps leaves negative feedback for something out of my control, shouldn't I be able to take that into account in my feedback for them? KWIM?
I hope this makes sense. I tend to get a little windy! :lol:

Please, please don't do that! :crybaby:

There are some of us GREAT BUYERS that have the courage to leave a negative for a non-performing or even worse, unethical and lying Sellers.
My 100% Buyer feedback was ruined by my retaliatory negative and I'd hate to be blocked from purchasing from GREAT Sellers because I did the proper brave thing to warn others... :s

Oh no, I didn't mean that I would only sell to 100% positive buyers. :nogood:

That would mean that I couldn't sell to myself, if you see what I mean?! :upsidedown: As I now have this undeserved, retaliatory neg from this seller.

No, I meant that I will have to say 'Please check my feedback! 100% positive feedback from buyers!' in my listings, to point out that no buyer has negged me; only one retaliatory seller.

Do you see what I mean? :flowers:

I will have to do that, as, apparently, some eBayers just go on feedback percentage; they don't check what the negative feedback was for, who it was from, or whether it was deserved. :nogood: