Retail?

i work at a upscale store, but only saturdays. it's not my favourite job in the world but hey, it supports my addiction plus i get 30-50% discount.

I worked at Wet Seal, Sally Beauty Supply and CompUSA while studying at community college. CompUSA had the craziest customers, there are too many horror stories to list!

Cristina said:
I worked at Wet Seal, Sally Beauty Supply and CompUSA while studying at community college. CompUSA had the craziest customers, there are too many horror stories to list!

There is something about computers that brings out the worst in people. Believe me, I know firsthand! And the one time I purchased a laptop and warranty plan with CompUSA, their service was so bad it made me one of those customers from hell.

That's why I only shop at Best Buy and always buy the warranty plan there. They are so much nicer, and I never have to go Cust-zilla on them to get my computer fixed in a timely manner.

chemlex said:
There is something about computers that brings out the worst in people. Believe me, I know firsthand! And the one time I purchased a laptop and warranty plan with CompUSA, their service was so bad it made me one of those customers from hell.

That's why I only shop at Best Buy and always buy the warranty plan there. They are so much nicer, and I never have to go Cust-zilla on them to get my computer fixed in a timely manner.

:lol: @ Cust-zilla! I do have to admit, our warranty and service plans were terrible! A lot of the situations I dealt with (I worked customer service and returns) I did sympathize with the customers and their dilemmas. Our computer repairs always took forever, but thank goodness I didn't have to deal with those.

Cristina said:
:lol: @ Cust-zilla! I do have to admit, our warranty and service plans were terrible! A lot of the situations I dealt with (I worked customer service and returns) I did sympathize with the customers and their dilemmas. Our computer repairs always took forever, but thank goodness I didn't have to deal with those.

Well, I'm glad you admit that and I'm not the only who realizes how bad CompUSA is. My main problem was how rude they were to me when I kept having to bring my computer in. They even wrote snarky comments about it in the work order. Excuse me, for wanting my computer to work for more than 5 minutes at a time. And you could never get a hold of the service department - they would never answer the phone! I tried once for a whole day to get a hold them and go no answer. I even called up the main company line to complain, and I was told it was out of their control.

Being held captive by an inanimate object that keeps breaking down on you is bad enough. When you add in lousy customer service, people really tend to lose it. I would love to hear your stories sometime. I don't know why but I find them really entertaining. I think shopping rage will be the next psychological phenomenon after road rage.

chemlex said:

yaaaaay someone who doesn't try and kill my fellow Best Buy employees when we ask if they want the service plan! dirty little secret: everyone thinks they're pure profit, but we actually lose money on them! anything, whether it be a computer, an appliance, or home theater equipment that is run off a computer board should be purchased with one, because when that part goes bad, that's $400 at least to replace it, while the service plan is 100-200 and pays for all parts and labor.

people get SO MEAN when you mention the service plans, though. i've actually had customers that were ready to buy walk out of the store at a MENTION of service. people are crazy. thank god i'm not on commission.

sorry about that little rant, things like that can get to ya after a while.

amanda said:
yaaaaay someone who doesn't try and kill my fellow Best Buy employees when we ask if they want the service plan! dirty little secret: everyone thinks they're pure profit, but we actually lose money on them!

Best Buy service plans rock my world! I have purchased them on three laptops and every time the service plan has been far cheaper that what it would have cost to pay the repairs each time they broke down.

And no questions asked when you go in to get it fixed. One time I tripped on my power line and the computer crashed the floor. It screwed up my power input and a new one had to be sautered to the motherboard. Obviously, this was negligance on my part but Best Buy still fixed it with no hassle.

One time I had a nightmare laptop that kept breaking down and the motherboard had to be replaced *twice*. Best Buy informed me about their lemon law policy, and gave me store credit for the original retail price to buy a new laptop! You can bet I bought the service plan on the new one!

And I will never buy a laptop again without a Best Buy service plan.

Issmom said:
(don't get me started on my Bergdorf SA who dawdled in gettin' her butt to the mens store for me and now can't get me the cufflinks I want for my husband!)

Ok, crow eating time! My SA called back and said she leaned on the buyer and they found me a pair of cufflinks. I'll have them tomorrow! I was appropriately thankful and I think I impressed upon her that I am a serious customer and taking care of me is good for her!

chemlex said:
Well, I'm glad you admit that and I'm not the only who realizes how bad CompUSA is. My main problem was how rude they were to me when I kept having to bring my computer in. They even wrote snarky comments about it in the work order. Excuse me, for wanting my computer to work for more than 5 minutes at a time. And you could never get a hold of the service department - they would never answer the phone! I tried once for a whole day to get a hold them and go no answer. I even called up the main company line to complain, and I was told it was out of their control.

Being held captive by an inanimate object that keeps breaking down on you is bad enough. When you add in lousy customer service, people really tend to lose it. I would love to hear your stories sometime. I don't know why but I find them really entertaining. I think shopping rage will be the next psychological phenomenon after road rage.

Yes, I remember a lot of the techs not answering the computer service phone line, since the customer service desk was right next to the repair shop.

I've got a few I can think of right now - I think I will start with the woman who decided to breast feed her baby (in front of us at the desk) while she called me an ******* for telling her I couldn't accept her return of an item she had bought 6 months before. She had used it and it broke all of a sudden, and hadn't purchased an extended warranty for it.

There was another guy whose return we wouldn't accept and he started screaming until he was red in the face about how much he "hated this f**kin' place" and "no one shop here, this place sucks!" We had to call the police :lol: We should have called an ambulance, he almost keeled over!

Cristina said:
Yes, I remember a lot of the techs not answering the computer service phone line, since the customer service desk was right next to the repair shop.

I've got a few I can think of right now - I think I will start with the woman who decided to breast feed her baby (in front of us at the desk) while she called me an ******* for telling her I couldn't accept her return of an item she had bought 6 months before. She had used it and it broke all of a sudden, and hadn't purchased an extended warranty for it.

There was another guy whose return we wouldn't accept and he started screaming until he was red in the face about how much he "hated this f**kin' place" and "no one shop here, this place sucks!" We had to call the police :lol: We should have called an ambulance, he almost keeled over!

Those are some crazy stories. I can't stand it when people make scenes in front of their children. I know the baby was probably too young to understand what was going on, but I'm sure it could sense the stress of its mother. I have a neighbor who is full on crazy who has screaming fights with other neighbors in front of her kids. It really sets a bad example, and you can tell the the poor child is embarrashed and confused by the whole thing.

I have actually never had a job of any kind before. I however am a student studying fashion merchandising and after hearing all of your awful stories I never want to work in retail!!! I would break down and cry if a customer started being mean to me. I always hear people talk about awful customers and how bad it sucks. I had always thought it would be fun to work in a nice store, now I hear it isnt as fun as I thought it would be.

madeline said:
I have actually never had a job of any kind before. I however am a student studying fashion merchandising and after hearing all of your awful stories I never want to work in retail!!! I would break down and cry if a customer started being mean to me. I always hear people talk about awful customers and how bad it sucks. I had always thought it would be fun to work in a nice store, now I hear it isnt as fun as I thought it would be.

you lucky duck, my mom never worked retail either. we get three weeks off from school for christmas and my mom asked me how many weeks of that i would be home for...apparently she's unaware that best buy still operates when school isn't in session...

chemlex said:
Best Buy service plans rock my world! I have purchased them on three laptops and every time the service plan has been far cheaper that what it would have cost to pay the repairs each time they broke down.

And no questions asked when you go in to get it fixed. One time I tripped on my power line and the computer crashed the floor. It screwed up my power input and a new one had to be sautered to the motherboard. Obviously, this was negligance on my part but Best Buy still fixed it with no hassle.

One time I had a nightmare laptop that kept breaking down and the motherboard had to be replaced *twice*. Best Buy informed me about their lemon law policy, and gave me store credit for the original retail price to buy a new laptop! You can bet I bought the service plan on the new one!

And I will never buy a laptop again without a Best Buy service plan.

on behalf of my fellow employees wherever you shop, we really appreciate it. some days i'm afraid to say the words 'service plan.'

amanda said:
you lucky duck, my mom never worked retail either. we get three weeks off from school for christmas and my mom asked me how many weeks of that i would be home for...apparently she's unaware that best buy still operates when school isn't in session...

Well hopefully even though you will be working you can find some time off to enjoy the holidays with your friends and family:biggrin: .