Resurrection thread: "It" bags of the past

I recently purchased a Fendi spy bag off fashionphile. I know this was an "it bag" 10 years ago, but I adore it and I don't care if it's "in" or not, especially since most of my friends don't even know what it is!

Does anyone else have old it bags that they still use?! Would love to see pics :smile: View attachment 3770034
Great bag! I love bags and haunt TPF but I don't know Fendi that well. So I wouldn't have known this was a past "it" bag. It would just be a pretty bag to me.

Reactions: Tosa22 and MJDaisy
Sometimes times I see the Spy bag on resale sites in the smallest sizes and OMG they're beyond cute and with gorgeous chewy leather. I've wanted to buy one but passed it up because the IT moment is over. But why?? I have quite a few bags from pre-2010 that I rotate and love. If I passed you in the street with that Spy bag my head would rotate in a nanosecond. You and the bag look fabulous!

Yes! Truthfully I don't see as many of the Baby Spy bags around as I used to and this little one that you show is soooo luscious. Sorry for your loss, Stansy. I have a few like that (I'm thinkin' of you, MJ Little Janice, which was actually a baby Rio.)

Reactions: Stansy
I think the key is how well a bag integrates into your existing wardrobe.

I've been of two minds on this with my own collection. I sold a Fendi B-Bag because while I'd thought it would add vintage charm to my outfit, instead it just looked dated. I also have TWO multicolore speedy bags from LV. I love all the color and having a little piece of LV history, but sometimes it's hard to incorporate them into my outfits because they reflect a style that doesn't really match what I wear now. I love the Dior Detective, but I've been leery about buying one and having the same issue.

That said, I have a Celine luggage bag, and I never think twice about wearing it, because it still perfectly matches my style. Obviously that's a more recent design, but my taste hasn't outgrown it yet.

I love the Spy, and I would buy one in a second.

I think the key is how well a bag integrates into your existing wardrobe.

I've been of two minds on this with my own collection. I sold a Fendi B-Bag because while I'd thought it would add vintage charm to my outfit, instead it just looked dated. I also have TWO multicolore speedy bags from LV. I love all the color and having a little piece of LV history, but sometimes it's hard to incorporate them into my outfits because they reflect a style that doesn't really match what I wear now. I love the Dior Detective, but I've been leery about buying one and having the same issue.

That said, I have a Celine luggage bag, and I never think twice about wearing it, because it still perfectly matches my style. Obviously that's a more recent design, but my taste hasn't outgrown it yet.

I love the Spy, and I would buy one in a second.
Great insight. Yes, I think that's what we should consider. :tup:

Like you, I had 3 Fendi B bags that I loved. But they just looked dated - especially against my clothing. I actually think that if I wore more retro clothing the bags would have been fun to add to the look. But I don't, so it didn't work. And I sold the bags.

I also think it's a matter of whether the bag has any obvious style markers that read dated - types of shapes or hardware are items that could fall in this category. This could also make me decide to pass on a bag.

In contrast, I like the Miss Dior bags which were discontinued last year. Now of course that's a very recent occurrence. And these weren't ever "it" bags. And I like single flap Chanel Jumbos which were discontinued almost a decade ago.

I have bought my all MD's and Chanel SF's since they were discontinued and will happily buy more. For me discontinued means nothing except I may get a great bargain. The bags "work" for me. So at the end of the day, how others view them doesn't matter.

Sometimes times I see the Spy bag on resale sites in the smallest sizes and OMG they're beyond cute and with gorgeous chewy leather. I've wanted to buy one but passed it up because the IT moment is over. But why?? I have quite a few bags from pre-2010 that I rotate and love. If I passed you in the street with that Spy bag my head would rotate in a nanosecond. You and the bag look fabulous!

this post brought a smile to my face! thanks so much!!! :smile: :smile:

If you're all about what's new, now and next then an ex-it-bag probably isn't a good fit. I love most of the old it bags still and am always pleasantly surprised to see one while I'm out and about. We have to remember that most were "it" bags for a reason. They were (and many remain) amazingly stylish and well crafted portable works of art that can be looked at as well as used.