Resume tips!

I agree about keeping it to one page! Keep it to your most important accomplishments and reading two or three pages gets overwhelming for the interviewer.

1. Should one list scholarships under the Honors category if you aren't actually getting money from them?

ex: I was awarded a $25k/year scholarship from my law school, but then a full-tuition fellowship through the University, so I don't actually get any money from the law school scholarship. I asked in Admissions and at Career Services and got a few conflicting comments, but nobody seemed to be sure. If I do list the law school scholarship as well, is there a special notation I should put next to it?

2. Also, is there a special notation I should put next to my fellowship? I was thinking:

_______________ Fellowship (full-tuition) but should I also put something about how it is university-wide, or is this something that would just come up in an interview if I was asked? (Generally there are 6-10 offered each year, with only one to a law student)

3. Lastly, how important is it to see language experience? I'm thinking that since I'm not fluent I should leave it off, even though I do have 5 years of past experience (8th-12th grade)

1. Should one list scholarships under the Honors category if you aren't actually getting money from them?

Absolutely, list all scholarship awarded, even if you did no take some of them. For example, you may decline a particular one because it restricts you to attend a university in a certain state. What is important here is show your competitiveness and ability.

2. Also, is there a special notation I should put next to my fellowship? I was thinking:

Keep it short. No need to explain. Leave all details to interview. After all, you have only one page. Focus on your job experreince and what your accomplishments and contributions were to get the point across in terms of your independence, competency, self-motivation, leadership skills, innovative ideas, maturity, alertness, and etc..

3. Lastly, how important is it to see language experience? I'm thinking that since I'm not fluent I should leave it off, even though I do have 5 years of past experience (8th-12th grade)

If you can do your job better knowing a certain language, you should add that to your resume. Even if you do not speak it fluently, you can say can read and write". I guess you should at least so that with 5 years of high" school langauge course.

Most people only skim the top 1/3 of a single-sheet resume. Put your most important/impressive statements there.

If you went to a top law school, put it there, not at the bottom where Education usually goes.

If you can grab the reader's attention in the top 1/3, they will read the rest.

Most people only skim the top 1/3 of a single-sheet resume. Put your most important/impressive statements there.

If you went to a top law school, put it there, not at the bottom where Education usually goes.

If you can grab the reader's attention in the top 1/3, they will read the rest.

No, the education should be the second thing you list on your resume, not the last. The first thing is what position you are looking for and a little about your qualification, no more than 2 sentences.

Again, the order is as follows: 1. objective, 2. education, 3, work experience, 4. activities/interests, societies and affiliations.

The main purpose of the resume is to show your qualification and competency in terms of your education, qualification, and leadership positions held. For every item that your list in the four, above mentioned categories, you want to clearly get your point across that you are independent, competent, motivated, creative, innovative, leadership type, focused, result-oriented, and mature. Think in terms of what key attributes the recruiters are looking for from the candidates.

the career services center told us to put one line at the bottom with any special skills, languages and a few interests to make us seem more real, and which might give us a hook if we share something in common with an employer.

yikes! i see this is a very polarized issue.

I also have a question about languages. I took 5 years of spanish (8th-12th grades) and scored a 5 (out of 5) on the spanish AP exam, and a perfect 100 on the NY Regents exam. However, I haven't taken any language classes in college, so my spanish is a bit rusty.

I am NOT fluent by any means (nor would i represent myself as such) but I was wondering if I should include anything related to spanish on my resume at the bottom - like familar with spanish, or something else. I did use some spanish over the summer when working at a law firm, but I understand it better than I speak it ;)

"Some Spanish" is what I put. I took 4 years in high school, 1 year in college (1 semester of Advanced Conversation). If asked, I admit I'm rusty, but I can communicate on a rudimentary level.

It should never be more than two pages. I look at resumes all day long, and nothing drives me crazy like seeing a 15 page resume.

If you list languages you should list them like so:

French- 3 years of study
Spanish- 6 years of study
Italian- basic conversation & reading knowledge

Never claim to be fluent in a language unless you can speak about any topic at length. Nothing looks worse than having an interviewer start questioning you in said language & you not being able to follow along.

I have a really excellent sample of a C.V. if anyone wants a copy. I got it on an academic forum when I was drafting mine for grad school, and it's how I did mine. It's one of the best examples I've found.

If anyone wants a copy, let me know.

I would love a copy! :yes:

gosh I know I'm commenting a lot, but I have a question... is being on the Dean's list every semester a big deal, or is it like nothing? aaand is putting your GPA on the resume a good idea or no? I've heard mixed things about this.

As an attorney who has reviewed lots of resumes and interviewed many candidates, I am going to put in my two cents as well. Do not put an objective line on your resume unless you are interviewing for a non-traditional position. If you are interviewing for a firm job, clerkship, government, you don't need that line.

Please leave it one page. There is absolutely no need for a two page resume from a law student unless you went back to school after having worked for some time.

Basically, you include your GPA if it is good.

IMHO, law student resume should read as follows:

Education

list law school with city/state
JD expected 200X
GPA, Cali awards, honors, moot court, student groups, whatever

list undergrad with city/state
degree & major with year
GPA, awards, student groups, whatever

Experience

any jobs, clerkships with bullet points or something indicating your responsibilities

Other

Use this for languages, anything else that is interesting. Use this space to explain any gaps in resume (if such gaps exist). As for your Spanish, do not write about your AP exam or NY Regents, just write "conversational" if you deem that as accurate.

Best of luck to you!

the career services center told us to put one line at the bottom with any special skills, languages and a few interests to make us seem more real, and which might give us a hook if we share something in common with an employer.

yikes! i see this is a very polarized issue.

I also have a question about languages. I took 5 years of spanish (8th-12th grades) and scored a 5 (out of 5) on the spanish AP exam, and a perfect 100 on the NY Regents exam. However, I haven't taken any language classes in college, so my spanish is a bit rusty.

I am NOT fluent by any means (nor would i represent myself as such) but I was wondering if I should include anything related to spanish on my resume at the bottom - like familar with spanish, or something else. I did use some spanish over the summer when working at a law firm, but I understand it better than I speak it ;)

Fellow law student here (with my job already). I think it's a good idea to put a line at the bottom with interests and hobbies for law job seeking. You are probably a 1L (right?) and you are going to be competing with about a bazillion other 1Ls also spamming 50 firms with resumes and cover letters. It's good to stand out a little. But, like others said above, not by using pink scented paper a la legally blonde.