Result of removing peeling and flaking from vintage Gucci lining (With pictures)

I am just about to start this process on a Tom Ford era (I believe) bamboo handle Gucci. It’s a gorgeous chocolate brown color and the interior is flaking terribly. I have vacuumed it once prior to brushing to get a feel for what I’m dealing with. The exterior is in fantastic condition. I will post pictures of before/ during/ after if anyone is interested or still following this thread!

Reactions: DaisyDD
I am just about to start this process on a Tom Ford era (I believe) bamboo handle Gucci. It’s a gorgeous chocolate brown color and the interior is flaking terribly. I have vacuumed it once prior to brushing to get a feel for what I’m dealing with. The exterior is in fantastic condition. I will post pictures of before/ during/ after if anyone is interested or still following this thread!

I have a TF for Gucci BHT basket that had/has the same issue. I love my bag and will never give it away as it's sentimental (it was my mother's).The bag cost a fortune back in the day and the outside is amazing. BUT, warning, even after I vacuumed it, it was still sticky. This is why you must never buy inferior linings whether this stuff that rots and flakes (or Gucci's 'suede-like' (they wish!) microfibre that looks dingy and dirty whatever - heaven knows what will happen to that in years time).

If anyone has advice for the stickiness let me know. At the moment I have sacrificed a spare dust-bag as a liner.

If anyone has advice for the stickiness let me know. At the moment I have sacrificed a spare dust-bag as a liner.
I would send the bag to Leather Surgeons, they are great. After having a Chanel bag destroyed by another service (popular @ Chanel forum), LS are the only people I trust with my bags. They have provided excellent spa service for several of my bags over the years, including one from Gucci.

• Insightful
Reactions: papertiger
I have a TF for Gucci BHT basket that had/has the same issue. I love my bag and will never give it away as it's sentimental (it was my mother's).The bag cost a fortune back in the day and the outside is amazing. BUT, warning, even after I vacuumed it, it was still sticky. This is why you must never buy inferior linings whether this stuff that rots and flakes (or Gucci's 'suede-like' (they wish!) microfibre that looks dingy and dirty whatever - heaven knows what will happen to that in years time).

I’m going to see what the interior is like after fully brushing it out and vacuuming. I do have an extra (not same era) dust bag but I don’t want to compromise the bag entirely. Mine doesn’t hold sentimental value, I am a (very very small) reseller. I only do a few at a time because it takes a lot of elbow grease to get them into the condition I want. I have seen a few people talk about sealing or re-coating the interior after brushing it out. I have yet to do this and am hesitant to even try. It’s gorgeous regardless, and if I can get the interior to a point that it is not sticky, I will be more than thrilled!

I’m going to see what the interior is like after fully brushing it out and vacuuming. I do have an extra (not same era) dust bag but I don’t want to compromise the bag entirely. Mine doesn’t hold sentimental value, I am a (very very small) reseller. I only do a few at a time because it takes a lot of elbow grease to get them into the condition I want. I have seen a few people talk about sealing or re-coating the interior after brushing it out. I have yet to do this and am hesitant to even try. It’s gorgeous regardless, and if I can get the interior to a point that it is not sticky, I will be more than thrilled!

My advice, don't re-coat. Not only is it not worth the trouble, but I've never seen it done successfully. Gucci have relined bags for people in the past, but not for a long time.

I would send the bag to Leather Surgeons, they are great. After having a Chanel bag destroyed by another service (popular @ Chanel forum), LS are the only people I trust with my bags. They have provided excellent spa service for several of my bags over the years, including one from Gucci.

Thanks, I'll have a look if there's a UK branch in Worcester. Would you say these are the same people, or a completely different entity with the same name https://www.theleathersurgeons.co.uk/ ?

My advice, don't re-coat. Not only is it not worth the trouble, but I've never seen it done successfully. Gucci have relined bags for people in the past, but not for a long time.
I’m leaning that way. Here is the start of the process, which will take several hours:

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 9
I’m leaning that way. Here is the start of the process, which will take several hours:

It must have felt worse than it looks, I would have left this bag the way it was. My bag was so flaky it was unusable, covered everything inside in sticky black flakes that 'tarred' whatever was in there. The bag was over £5K new in the '90s!

It must have felt worse than it looks, I would have left this bag the way it was. My bag was so flaky it was unusable, covered everything inside in sticky black flakes that 'tarred' whatever was in there. The bag was over £5K new in the '90s!
It was flaking anytime I touched it, to the point it wasn’t really usable even with an insert. The opening is the worst, so I may not scrape all of it off and look at trying to maintain the rest of the brown interior. It definitely looks better than it is in person, and I get the feeling it was just sitting in storage for a while and it dried out. The exterior of the bag has hardly any signs of use and feels like butter!

• Insightful