Restoring a Bordeaux City

riiche

O.G.
Jan 11, 2014
Hi everyone. Just wanted to share my restoration process with a very tired-looking Bordeaux. I purchased it online and was actually shocked when it arrived - it wasn't even the original Bordeaux colour anymore, the glaze had worn off the main body :cry:

How she looked when I first got her:

image4_zpsd3bb58e2.jpg

I didn't think I could save the handles. They had darkened and softened. But the professional cleaner did restore the scuffed corners. When the bag returned, she was still lacklustre and too matte for my liking, so I applied two rounds of Leather Honey.

image5_zps8c1af4cc.jpg

I used wet wipes on the handle, then scrubbed the stickiness off the handles with a toothbrush and mild soap (Ecover). This took out some colour, too. But at least the handles weren't sticky anymore!

I fixed the split tassels with craft glue. Had extra tassels but they weren't exactly the same colour with the bag, so I stuck with the old ones.

Then I used Balenciaga Nourishing Cream - only on the really matte parts. And I buffed the bag while watching TV, haha. Some of the shine returned! I was pretty pleased. She was way more supple and squishy after all the LH and BNC, rather than papery and thin.

image1_zpsb2db0692.jpg

Last edited:
Another shot:

image2_zpsaa88930d.jpg

And in different lighting:

image3_zpsb00fcbea.jpg

My next step would be to get some Edge Kote and acrylic paint to sort out the sealant on the handle and round the seams of the bag. :smile:

Wow this looks great! Looks like you really managed to revive the leather. I may have to get the Bal cream and try it after LH too.
Oh my! You are a magician! It looks 1000 times prettier! I love that you were able to get some glow back! I have never been able to accomplish that. Do you think the Bal cream was useful for that purpose?

Congratulations on becoming a Bal Bag Whisperer! :sunshine:

Thanks rainneday and delusionsoflucy!

Oh my! You are a magician! It looks 1000 times prettier! I love that you were able to get some glow back! I have never been able to accomplish that. Do you think the Bal cream was useful for that purpose?

Congratulations on becoming a Bal Bag Whisperer! :sunshine:
Aw thank you Conni618 :biggrin: Yes, I was surprised by the result too! I know I risked over-treating the leather, but the bag looked so bad that I felt like nothing I did could possibly make it worse. I also tried out Apple Conditioner today because I read that it brings back some shine.

LH - restored some of the suppleness, leather became less papery but remained matte
BNC - made the colour noticeably richer. Buffing the bag with BNC definitely helps brings back 'the glow'.
Apple Conditioner - I just applied this and the bag now has a nice shine overall. I'm not sure it will last though!

Personally I feel the only way to get the glow back is to buff the leather with a soft cloth, whether with BNC or Apple Conditioner. The more I buffed her, the better she looked. :yes:

Your bag looks so nice now :smile: You've manage to give her some shine :smile: I would never guessed that after applying all these different conditioners- the final effect is so good. I'm always scared of mixing up different cleaners and moisturisers . Well done :tup:

Your bag looks so nice now :smile: You've manage to give her some shine :smile: I would never guessed that after applying all these different conditioners- the final effect is so good. I'm always scared of mixing up different cleaners and moisturisers . Well done :tup:

Haha thanks! I personally feel I wouldn't use all of these methods if I weren't desperate lol. The bag was in such bad shape. If it were a new Bal I'd probably stick to the Apple Conditioner and leave it at that. But at least now I know what works for an old Bal!