Home & Garden Restoration hardware, any good?

Baglover121

Sep 28, 2014
I love what I see on their website, but I have no knowledge of them,I might be in the States later this year, and was thinking of maybe getting a few things as I'm in the process of renovating my house,

I have purchased everything from custom chairs, to lighting, to entertainment centers, to sheets and candles....the quality is amazing. I have only returned one item and every room in my house is furnished from them. You can't go wrong with shopping there

I have 2 chandeliers that we ordered over a year ago while exchange was still decent. They have sales every few months. Even with sale pricing, they are very expensive. I just couldn't find anything comparable to this particular design, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere. The quality is decent, but similar items can easily be found for most things.

Be aware you can't buy from the store, everything needs to be ordered, except maybe some of the small accessory items. Shipping is ridiculous, 20% of item value - no flat rate here. Pricing is in USD even when purchasing in Canada. With the exchange now, it will be interesting to see how quickly they shut stores down. If they stopped sending these gigantic paper catalogs, they could save a ton on money and lower their prices.

Thank you all for your comments, it's interesting about the sales thing too, I was surprised to see promotions on all the time,
I thought maybe I could use something like boarder free to ship, but Ofcourse I would like to see their products first,
We have something very similar here in Europe, a company called flamant , decent with almost an identical aesthetic to RH, there is an English company called Neptune that is similar too
But RH has a bigger inventory and all those outdoor furnishing looks so lovely I love the rugs and their kids decor too,

But can all the prints and decor be antiques? Or are do they contain some antique elements that can automatically classify them as "antiques"? That's what puzzles me,

I love what I see on their website, but I have no knowledge of them,I might be in the States later this year, and was thinking of maybe getting a few things as I'm in the process of renovating my house,

You should keep proportions in mind and make sure RH furniture will look right in your house. Much of their furniture is made for the large rooms/open layout common in new houses in the US -- their regular furniture sizes look out of place in the smaller rooms of older houses and regular European or Asian dwellings. RH does have an "apartment size" but even some of those pieces look overstuffed. Choose wisely. I tend to buy my furniture in Europe (or have them custom made) to fit my Manhattan apartment better.

You should keep proportions in mind and make sure RH furniture will look right in your house. Much of their furniture is made for the large rooms/open layout common in new houses in the US -- their regular furniture sizes look out of place in the smaller rooms of older houses and regular European or Asian dwellings. RH does have an "apartment size" but even some of those pieces look overstuffed. Choose wisely. I tend to buy my furniture in Europe (or have them custom made) to fit my Manhattan apartment better.

that's a good point to consider, my house is newly built and rooms are bigger than what is normal around here, but nothing like US house proportions,

I did try a regular sofa sample from George smith in one the rooms and if looked miniature, like it belonged to small kids instead of adults, so custom made is the way to go with , saw the quotes and nearly fainted, going to cost an arm and a leg [emoji24], but
I don't think it's wise to get sofas from RH,
I do love the consoles, and coffee tables, as well as the wall decor for the kids bedrooms,

that's a good point to consider, my house is newly built and rooms are bigger than what is normal around here, but nothing like US house proportions,

I did try a regular sofa sample from George smith in one the rooms and if looked miniature, like it belonged to small kids instead of adults, so custom made is the way to go with , saw the quotes and nearly fainted, going to cost an arm and a leg [emoji24], but
I don't think it's wise to get sofas from RH,
I do love the consoles, and coffee tables, as well as the wall decor for the kids bedrooms,

But the best thing with George Smith is that everything can be customized. At the most basic level they have small, medium, and large, but you can change anything - deeper if y'all have long legs, for example. The biggest drawback is the price -- I wasn't enthused about paying $13,000 for a sofa (com) -- but it will outlast you. You should consider getting slipcovers made as well so you can change the look.

I've purchased two sofas, three beds, two chairs and a dresser from RH. Practically every room in my house has something from RH. Measuring is key! Many of their upholstery items come in various lengths and sofas two depths last time I purchased. Delivery in the states is a flat rate. The store may not have the item you want to see. I'd go to one of the new larger stores to see the largest selection. As OP indicated the majority of items must be ordered. Good luck.

I have a few pieces from RH and the quality varies. I returned a large dining table because we kept getting splinters! I got a set of the directors chairs and do like them but they are not the best quality. Also the colors vary from the swatches they send!

I love RH - we purchased a significant amount of furniture when we moved 2 years ago. Took awhile to have the furniture made but worth it - linen sofa, 8 dining chairs covered in linen covers, linen bench, 72" dining table (only place I could find that large of a table), Parisian bistro table for breakfast nook, leather library chair, leather chaise, lamps, etc and lots of decor items. The pieces are large. We are very happy with the outcome.