Resource: Hermes Knowledge Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellybag

O.G.
Mar 9, 2006
I would love if you all could assist me. I try and read everything I can about Hermes Kellys and Birkins, but I really lack a lot of knowledge.

Where can I go to read about all the leathers, colors, sizes, hardware etc.? By any chance do they have a book written about these bags?

I love to read in this forum, but I would love to learn more.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Here's a little Birkin 101.

Birkins come in sizes 25, 30, 35, 40 and 45cm. The 45 is a travel Birkin with slightly longer straps. There is also a similar bag called a Haut au Courries (sp?) (means High Belts in French) that is slightly taller with shorter straps. These come in sizes 27, 32 and, I believe 37. People still call this a Birkin.

For leather, there are texured and smooth varieties. The most popular leather for Birkins right now is Togo, a scratch resistant textured calf leather. You can also get smooth leathers, and goat leathers, as well as exotics. Some leathers -Togo, Clemence, Natural Barenia, Chevre - (goat,) Box (very smooth and shiny) Chamonix, are always around. Other leathers are produced for awhile, then get discontinued (Veau Graine Lisse, Courcheval for example.) These are usually the pressed leathers with a bit of texture and sheen. Some new ones that I'm not familiar with are Swift and Rodeo. I can't wait to see them.

Then, there is the hardware. You can get 24K plated gold, silver palladium, a more burnished ruthenium and one I LOVE called guilloche. This is palladium hw with a diamond cut pattern on it. Fabulous and rare!!

Then there are colors. More than you can imagine. Reds, greens, oranges, browns, yellow... the most popular Birkin colors are Gold (really a rich tan color,) black and Blue Jean (a sky blue - gorgeous.)

Kelly bags come in sizes 20 (I think, it's a mini) 25, 28, 32, and 35 cm. The most popular sizes are 28 and 32. The Kelly bag is either going to be rigide (outside stitching and more expensive) or souple (softer feel, inside stitching)
Same HW and leather options. Kelly also comes with a shoulder strap!

Whew! If there's something you'd like to know that I didn't eleborate on, just ask. If I've gotten something wrong or mixed up, anyone, please correct me!

Greentea said:
There is also a similar bag called a Haut au Courries (sp?) (means High Belts in French) that is slightly taller with shorter straps. These come in sizes 27, 32 and, I believe 37. People still call this a Birkin.
The Haut a Courroies, commonly known as the the "tall Birkin", comes in 6 sizes. you can see the dimensions (in cm) in the attached pics :amuse:

Attachments

• Hermes HAC1.JPG
    Hermes HAC1.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 23,383
  • Hermes HAC2.JPG
    Hermes HAC2.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 21,903
Go into Nepherisis' site through ebay and her ME page. Ive just been on there recently.

Thanks Gigi, I can NEVER spell "courroies!!" I forgot about the sizes 45, 50, and the REALLY huge one too. So much info.!

clanalois said:
Great info, Greentea! I was wondering if luxwear.com sells authentic Hermes?

Yes. This is where I would buy from if I were to go that route. Authentic bags with a markup, but not TOO bad. Especially if you don't want Blue Jean. Those are more! :smile:

Reactions: leafyyue
clanalois said:
Great info, Greentea! I was wondering if luxwear.com sells authentic Hermes?

Yes, Luxwear is one of a tiny group that does sell authentic Hermes. Oddly enough she's quite close by to me. As yet I've had no dealings with her. Has some pretty blue jean Birkins:love:

I love the little Picotins. My friend has a classic orange GM. I like the little pm style to wear in the summertime with dresses or something like that. Such a cute bag and best in bright colors.

They come in three sizes, Pm, MM, and GM. Check ebay for some examples.

La Vanguardia said:
Does anyone here have a Hermes Picotin bag? I'm curious about this style in orange color.
I just wanted to tell you about a Picotin I saw in orange vibrato - it was STUNNING. I hope you get to see one sometime. I am attaching a picture of the bag in Thalassa Blue vibrato, along with a herbag in orange vibrato so you can imagine what it was like. I hope you get an opportunity to see one in person as these photos don't do it justice at all.

Attachments

• blue_vibrato_picotin.JPG
    blue_vibrato_picotin.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 19,362
  • orange_vibrato_herbag.JPG
    orange_vibrato_herbag.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 20,126
Can you all give me some ideas about pricing these days on Birkins? I have not been in Hermes boutique for ages and plan to go as soon as I can. I have been busy with 3 babies in 5 years. Wait...I think I earned a 35 Birkin, don't you?

I am thinking of a 35 Birkin (LET ME PREFACE ALL THIS BY SAYING IF I CAN GET MY HANDS ON ONE) say Togo with palladium. I want my bag to be rigide more than soft.

Now, if I swtiched to a color will the price increase (all else remaining the same)?
Say in red?
Orange?
Raisin?

Now, what if I wanted the decorative hardware like guilloche? (did I spell it and get it right? Hopefully so)

I just want to get an idea of how it all works.

Kelly - here in Switzerland a black/gold 30 cm with palladium in togo or clemence costs around 7400 - 7800 Swiss Francs (approximately, 6050 US) depending on which leather. I'm not sure the price makes a difference for the color, but the waiting time yes as colors are more difficult to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.