Resource: Hermes Bag Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.
More tidbits, these are also on other threads:
The H zipperstop started to appear on bags in 2001.
The double ring on the Kelly handle was incorporated in 2000.
The current orange sleeper first appeared in 2001-2002.

duna said:
The double ring on the Kelly, IMO, spoils it a bit, I prefered it before.....
I concur.

Anyone know the exact year the strap appeared?

The Bolide was originally called the Bugatti. But when that company threatened to sue, the name of the bag was changed.

Grands Fonds said:
All reject bags, no matter how small the imperfections, are destroyed.

There was a "S" (sale) marked Birkin mentioned somewhere in another thread... I wonder how it got the S mark?
I know that the "anything imperfect will be destroyed" theory is truly a myth when it comes to scarves..... maybe it's different for bags....:shrugs:

The HeeBoo got its name from the 2 holes at the base of the handles. The 2 holes make the bag look like an owl, hence the name heeboo. Well, that's what I managed to get as I was eavesdropping at the time.

temo said:
I also have read that Emile-Maurice incorporated the zipper for the first time in a handbag, when designing the Bolide, after a trip to Canada,where the zipper was invented. (1920ish) Apparently he took the patent back to France for the zipper.

hi

Emile was the first one to introduce the zipper in France. ;)

^ true - the brown ribbon Hermes uses to tie up your purchases has little white dashes along the edges - this is to represent the zipper, which was the start of Hermes in France all those years ago.

THANKS A LOT FOR THIS PICTURE USED FOR THE LOGO
I never really paid attention to the logo we call "au duc attelé" in France, and i finally understand it better,
the duc is a kind of phaeton, it has a part in the front that hides the unpleasant view of the horse bottom, and prevent from dirts from this same horse, so was suitable for delicate women to drive themselves.
Duc (fr) ("Duke") : a four wheeled park vehicle without coachman´s-seat nor luggage space. It is a cross between a Pony Phaeton and a Victoria. It was driven by the owner but frequently accompanied by a liveried groom.
SYN: park phaeton (?), lady's phaeton (?)
QUITE A FEMININE LOGO, then

best regards

I have read and searched the forum for this and cannot find anything: has anyone heard of a vintage kelly having a number in a circle instead of a letter? Perhaps from the 1960's or 1970's? Ever? Thanks in advance.

I'd also like to know the history of the herbag!!! Would also like to know the history of the Sac Mallette!

BTW, my SA told me that in order to polish/glaze the croc skins, they pass them through marble "rollers" a bunch of times until the skins get shiney.

Man, I'd give anything to sit in a craftsman's workshop and watch for a few hours!!!

Lisa

Some snippets of info courtesy of GigiLeung. I really want to thank you, Gigi, for the trivia surrounding my beloved collier de chien. I collect them and was always curious as to their origins:

Attachments

• barenia%20watch3.JPG
    barenia%20watch3.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 2,779
  • constance3.JPG
    constance3.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,734
  • Dog%20Collar3.JPG
    Dog%20Collar3.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 1,965
  • Hermes%20Logo.JPG
    Hermes%20Logo.JPG