Resoling Shoes

Elsie87

O.G.
Sep 5, 2007
For me it depends on how easy they are to walk in. If they're too slippery I take them to the cobbler's right away.

jen_sparro

Jen
O.G.
Mar 27, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm in the process of having some flats resoled, it's sadly going to cost me around $100, the shoes new cost $269. I bought the same flat in a different colour and had them vibram-soled to make sure this wouldn't happen. Preventative is always better than the cure...

Apr 15, 2007
^agree here.. after resoles are put onyour shoes you can't go out and buy them

for that price.. so it does make sense to take care of your shoes..

ninja_please

Feb 23, 2010
San Francisco
I'm in the process of having some flats resoled, it's sadly going to cost me around $100, the shoes new cost $269. I bought the same flat in a different colour and had them vibram-soled to make sure this wouldn't happen. Preventative is always better than the cure...
That's what I thought too, thanks for your response. I just got into shoes, and I want to extend the life span of some of my nice ones. :smile:

ShopEatSleep

Apr 4, 2010
i try to put on a new sole before i even wear them- but only for the expensive shoes. for cheaper shoes i only get them resoled when theyre run down

Chromatopelma

Nov 26, 2008
East Yorkshire, UK
Hi there,

I recently had a pair of my armani flats resoled. They really have been everywhere with me, they're about 3 years old now and still looking good! I waited until they were pretty desperate to be done. You may as well get some use out of the original soles first before you start wearing into a brand new sole... if that makes sense? If however they are slippery or something then do take them to a cobbler. The cobbler did a really good job with mine :smile:

elle tee

Dec 6, 2006
nyc
For leather-soled shoes, I prefer to get them re-soled soon after buying. I don't always go straight to the cobbler since sometimes I'm just so excited to wear them! However, I think it's better to get them resoled before there's much damage to the original soles, as this will make the repair easier. Also, I find that re-soled shoes are more comfortable (the rubber adds a little cushion and shock absorbtion) and easier to walk in since they're no longer slippery.

juneping

couch potato-ing
O.G.
Jun 11, 2007
NYC
i used to do it on my new shoes...and i stopped doing it...i realized i have a lot of shoes that i hardly wear the same pair everyday...i usually resole them after a season or i absolutely have to. i am lazy...

snowbrdgrl

O.G.
Oct 3, 2007
I always put on the protective (non slip) sole on new shoes - protects you and protects your investment!

ldp

Aug 17, 2008
Virginia
I usually wait until there's wear, but you all are convincing me that maybe I should re-sole right away. Hmmm. Good food for thought.

pellarin22

Take That
Dec 22, 2009
I will always get my ballet flats resoled. They are notorious for having very slippery or really thin soles so I think it's worth the money.