Resizing Cartier ring - how'd yours turn out?

dbcelly

O.G.
Sep 30, 2009
Hi ! Has anyone had their ring resized by Cartier before? I've been looking at pre-loved and asked an SA if theyd' resize a trinity ring, she said yes but only by one size (up or down).

Hoping someone can share their experience: did they do a good job, does the ring look any different, will all the existing engraving (size, logo..) still be there?

I only found one thread related to resizing and it seems like on the love ring, they engrave the letters CS beside to ring size to show that it was resized?
Resizing Love Ring

Reactions: icedcoffee
Hi ! Has anyone had their ring resized by Cartier before? I've been looking at pre-loved and asked an SA if theyd' resize a trinity ring, she said yes but only by one size (up or down).

Hoping someone can share their experience: did they do a good job, does the ring look any different, will all the existing engraving (size, logo..) still be there?

I only found one thread related to resizing and it seems like on the love ring, they engrave the letters CS beside to ring size to show that it was resized?
Resizing Love Ring
I am currently getting a 1970s Cartier ring resized. They charge 60% of the original retail price for resizing.

(I’m currently waiting to see if that holds up for vintage because it is a Diamond pave band, and my receipt shows that it was a $700 ring in 1974. I’m pretty sure it’ll cost more than $420 in bench jeweler labor)

I dropped the ring off at a boutique and they shipped it the to NYC workshops. I should get my estimate in a few weeks, and I was told it would be about a 3 month turnaround time.

I am currently getting a 1970s Cartier ring resized. They charge 60% of the original retail price for resizing.

(I’m currently waiting to see if that holds up for vintage because it is a Diamond pave band, and my receipt shows that it was a $700 ring in 1974. I’m pretty sure it’ll cost more than $420 in bench jeweler labor)

I dropped the ring off at a boutique and they shipped it the to NYC workshops. I should get my estimate in a few weeks, and I was told it would be about a 3 month turnaround time.
Thanks for sharing. Definitely looking forward to your experience.

Since the ring I was looking at is somewhat new (the owner purchased last year), I assumed and hope! the resizing will be at no charge. When I asked an SA about resizing in general, she said it's at no charge but maybe that was for new purchases..

Reactions: icedcoffee
Something new to me (I’m guessing should be already mentioned somewhere in this forum).

Cartier can melt some gold into your ring (SA calls it ring guard. She showed me a photo) so if your ring is too loose, it will solve the problem. Up to two sizes. FOC.

I dropped off my regular JUC ring at the boutique today for resizing (going one size up). I decided to do it before the price increase, they charged me 30% + tax. I was quoted 60% before when I called generic customer service line. This time I just asked my amazingly nice SA directly and she quoted 30%. She gave me two options:
1) Remaking the ring - this option allows to keep the original serial number and takes about 8-14 weeks.
2) New ring - you just get a completely new ring, it takes about 10 days, they get your old ring, inspect it and send you a new one. I'm getting a new ring, as I don't care about the serial number.

I dropped off my regular JUC ring at the boutique today for resizing (going one size up). I decided to do it before the price increase, they charged me 30% + tax. I was quoted 60% before when I called generic customer service line. This time I just asked my amazingly nice SA directly and she quoted 30%. She gave me two options:
1) Remaking the ring - this option allows to keep the original serial number and takes about 8-14 weeks.
2) New ring - you just get a completely new ring, it takes about 10 days, they get your old ring, inspect it and send you a new one. I'm getting a new ring, as I don't care about the serial number.
I’m still feeling sore about our 60%. :P

Reactions: Maria333
What country is this? As I tried in Dubai flagship to resize my love bracelet and she said I need to pay 60% of the price to remake the bracelet. I don’t care about the serial number either!

What country is this? As I tried in Dubai flagship to resize my love bracelet and she said I need to pay 60% of the price to remake the bracelet. I don’t care about the serial number either!
US. Well, at first I was told 60% too, maybe it's similar in Dubai and your just have to find a nice SA. Also, this time I told her upfront that I wanted to enlarge the ring for 30% of cost. I didn't ask how much it will cost, I just told the 30% number that I read here. Not sure if that matters at all, but I also just made quite a big purchase of multiple items.

What do you need to surrender for this resizing option?

Hi @Purrsey! I'm so sorry I didn't understand your question. Could you please rephrase it?
I am so sorry! Hope this one makes sense next :
I meant what do you need to return to cartier for this resizing?
Other than your old ring, do you need to return the corresponding certificate? I presume they don’t need anything else like box/receipt/etc.

I am so sorry! Hope this one makes sense next :
I meant what do you need to return to cartier for this resizing?
Other than your old ring, do you need to return the corresponding certificate? I presume they don’t need anything else like box/receipt/etc.
Oh yes, I understand now! Nothing is needed, only the ring. I just wore my ring to the boutique, took it off and gave it to my SA. I still have the certificate, the box etc. at home. BTW she just texted me today that I'll get my new ring on Thursday. I didn't expect it to be so quick, she's amazing!

Oh yes, I understand now! Nothing is needed, only the ring. I just wore my ring to the boutique, took it off and gave it to my SA. I still have the certificate, the box etc. at home. BTW she just texted me today that I'll get my new ring on Thursday. I didn't expect it to be so quick, she's amazing!
Thank you it’s clear now. I’m not getting forthcoming reply so far (ok in a way I have mixed SAs so I might need to build on one a little). The SA (new-new) told me about 60percent but that was before I made my purchase thru her. Maybe I’ll ask again.

Enjoy your newest ring soon!

• Thanks
Thank you it’s clear now. I’m not getting forthcoming reply so far (ok in a way I have mixed SAs so I might need to build on one a little). The SA (new-new) told me about 60percent but that was before I made my purchase thru her. Maybe I’ll ask again.

Enjoy your newest ring soon!
Thank you!
Hopefully you'll get 30% response soon! I have a feeling it's somewhat arbitrary and SA/ manager decide what to offer. I would try to just tell her that you know there's a 30% option and you decided to accept that fee and resize your piece.

• Thanks
Reactions: Purrsey

Resizing Love Ring

You asked a while ago.

How did it go?

I don't understand the answer the SA gave - not for a Trinity.

If it's the same ring, it may be straightforward for a Trinity to make bigger, they'll probably just stretch the rings. They can't do this if it has pavé set stones or the ltd ed ceramic. I also don't understand how they can make it smaller either since it's not a shank + setting, a circle needs to be a pure circle - in this case 3. They may as well melt it down and start again (which is why they'll often charge 60%) - but then they should be able to make any size.