Resistant grays

2manybags

O.G.
Dec 29, 2006
Recently, I've been getting my hair professionally colored at a (pricey) salon where they use a new L'oreal professional hair color that's ammonia free -here's some info on it:
http://www.stylelist.com/2010/01/28/l-oreal-professionnel-ammonia-free-hair-color/

My hair is dark brown/almost black so I do a single process color to keep it similar to my natural color. The problem is, it doesn't fully cover the few pesky grays (they're actually white not gray) that I have...it gets some but not others. Plus, it only lasts a week for the ones it does cover. (Btw, I use a sulfate-free shampoo for color treated hair). I haven't had a chance to discuss it with my stylist, but I'm just wondering if anybody knows of anything that I can use prior to coloring to help the color adhere to the grays. I like that my hair feels natural and healthy after this color, but it really isn't worth it if it won't cover grays. Any and all advice is appreciated. :tup:

Last edited:
Like you, I have very dark brown hair with a lot of grey/white hairs - passed down in our family but unfortunately I'm also getting older. I use to have my hairdresser color my hair but since I wear my hair very short it was quite costly getting my cut and color done every 4-5 weeks. I started doing it myself and have had luck with Perfect 10. It colors all of my greys but I leave it on for 20 minutes instead of 10.

My hairdresser told me that the ammonia-free, gentle hair colors are not strong enough to cover grays. She said you need those chemicals if you want to get good results. I use the Revlon COlor Stay, which is super inexpensive at Wal Mart, and it does the trick.

I second the Perfect 10. I've tried everything and gravitate back to this when the funds allow. I have to dye every 2 weeks, so it gets a bit pricey, in salon or out. Leave it on longer than it says, and it usually lasts a good bit longer and covers everything. The Revlon Color Stay was the absolute worst for me. =(

I'm also in the same boat - after much begging I got my colorist to give up the secret of the color she uses (the only thing I've found that gets every last pesky straggler) - it's Wella Color Charm from Sally's. I now do touch-ups at home every 2-3 weeks and then see her every 2 months or so for a trim and the real deal.

I use a color touchup from Avon in between colorings. My hair seems to hold the color in most places except at the hairline in one area. This stuff only lasts until you shampoo, but it works great and smells really good too. It is like a mascara wand. I have honey blonde hair and use a medium brown so it just makes my roots a little darker. You can even apply a couple of streaks with it. This has allowed me to extend my touchups up to 6 to 8 weeks. It's not perfect, but hey at 51 I am no longer looking for perfect, lol!