Resetting diamond studs into different colored gold setting..question?

Oct 16, 2007
Hi everyone-
I am really full of questions today. I just got back from a visit with our family jeweler (my mom was picking up a new band and e-ring) and I had discussed resetting my diamond studs. Right now they are in a yellow gold setting and for sentimental reasons, I'd rather keep the stones than buy a new pair. I asked him about popping them into a white gold or platinum setting and someone nearby suggested a rhodium (?) dip. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of the 'dip' so I wanted to check in with you all first. The earrings have a lot of sentimental value so I don't want to do anything that is going to really mess them up. Thanks!

It is common practice to "dip" white metals in rhodium upon the first setting and then once every few years for maintenance and protection. It is done with 14 and 18K white gold and with platinum, as just part of the practice of what a jeweler does. It's been done for years and no one ever really knew so therefore~no issue!

Platinum especially will start to get a battleship grey patina to it if not dipped occasionally. Again it's been done for many years. Look at an antique set or even one from you parents or grandparents and you'll see the color difference to what we see as platinum now. Because that generation usually put their rings on and never took them off again~thus the wear ad tear and thinning of the rhodium layer.

The thing that has given rhodium a bad name to consumers is that some designers~even high end ones like Yurman, Ripka and Hardy all dip their sterling in rhodium to help keep it from tarnishing. Also a lot of the TV/Home shopping sale practices is to use rhodium over silver for use with CZ's and yellow plated or gold filled into vermeil for the same reason.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for all of the responses. It wouldn't cost me anything to have them dipped or reset (jeweler is fam friend) but I was just concerned about the dipping wearing thin and the yellow gold showing through, etc. The earrings are a really nice size and were my grandmother's, so I'm just so hesitant to change anything. Maybe next time I'm in nyc (moving in a few months) I will pop in and have the diamonds reset.

on earrings, do not worry about it wearing off. I deliberately choose white gold on my ears because it's less expensive and lighter. I have never had to have a pair re-dipped.