Resellers: What do they make money on?

I've sold a few bags and accessories I just wasn't using any more, and like others have said, it's really hard to tell what's going to make a lot of money. I've noticed that it's the smaller things I least expect that make the most - and you never know when someone's going to be willing to get in a bidding war over something.

I think you can do quite well selling on eBay, and I've done nicely just selling things I no longer use but are still in great shape. Here are few things I've found that help:

1. Great pictures are SOO important. People often use no flash/camera phone or have lots of clutter in the background. I've gotten some great deals because I've known how great a particular product is but the pics the seller used just didn't do it justice.

2. Great copywriting can really help a product stand out. Many eBayers spend almost no time on descriptions..they just copy specs from some website or write things with grammatical errors. You are SELLING something, and the copy can really close the deal on why THIS is the bag for YOU!

I also think that it's got to be tough selling a lot of bags on eBay as soon as they hit the outlet...there's such a glut, more competition, so things don't sell as well. Pluse, eBay is all about getting a deal. I've heard several peope say they sell more by starting low bids or NR auctions rather than BINs.. I guess that's something else to try if you're willing to take a bit of risk.

Naturally, bags that are hard to find are certainly going to sell better than the 50+ auctions for the same style. So, if you have a treasure in your closet, you might do very well!

I also usually only sell what I am no longer using (and any money I make goes to my next purchase so I don't feel quite so guilty about ponying up another few hundred $$). I always offer people great deals and, as a result, everything I have listed has sold. I know going in that I won't be making a profit (or at least I don't expect to). My goal is to clean out my closets and let someone else enjoy my great purses at a steal (there are so many people out there who cannot afford retail or new items so this is an opportunity for them to own authentic Coach without the high price tag). :tup:

I only sell stuff that I'm not using anymore...and I usually take a loss. But, like one of the above respondants, I just use that $$$ towards something new from Coach. So, I feel that I got some use out of whatever it is I bought, then it goes "out of rotation", so to speak, and then I can let somebody else get some use out of it and I can go SHOPPING again! I can't imagine selling Coach, though, on eBay or anywhere else as a source of profit...b/c there are so many already on eBay, and the # of outlets/deals at discount houses, etc.

I only sell stuff that I'm not using anymore...and I usually take a loss. But, like one of the above respondants, I just use that $$$ towards something new from Coach. So, I feel that I got some use out of whatever it is I bought, then it goes "out of rotation", so to speak, and then I can let somebody else get some use out of it and I can go SHOPPING again! I can't imagine selling Coach, though, on eBay or anywhere else as a source of profit...b/c there are so many already on eBay, and the # of outlets/deals at discount houses, etc.

I totally agree!

I am so done selling things on Ebay..it gives me such a headache that I don't want to do it EVER again!! I am keeping everything from now on so I can switch stuff around! And I have never bought anything from Ebay either..don't know why:shrugs::shrugs: