Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

@arcsales The reason why IG sellers are getting shut down is because they don’t own any product and are promoting Chanel as a brand for their service. This violates copyright laws because they are promoting Chanel and selling items that they are not in possession of. I can go on IG and sell you a bag from Chanel and promote it as such. I can’t go on IG and promote the idea of Chanel, using their logos to get them to use my service. Thank you for coming with facts and correct information. I'm quoting you because a friend of mine mentioned this to me a couple of months ago that Sa's that had IG accounts couldn't show Chanel products. Misinformation on various social media platforms leads to a unfair witch hunt, bullying etc. Looking reading and just my observation I really didn't think resellers or PS was going to be put out of business. The choice is yours not to patronage a business.
I think it is to hit 2 birds with 1 stone - i mean 1. Protecting copyright 2. Bringing sellers down at same time

I posted this in the conversation about the NYC robbery. I’m also posting it here because I feel it’s relevant to this conversation.

Seeing these stories since last year about all the high end boutique robberies makes me wonder if the resell websites are doing anything to make sure they aren’t buying and selling stolen merchandise. I’ve noticed there are a lot more bags and SLG’s being sold online without the authenticity cards. If they aren’t reaching out to the designers to check the serial numbers Chanel and the other companies might have a case against them.
The serial number is available inside the bag as well so when these companies authenticate they can match with stolen bag serial numbers

@classybags4ever Yes, resellers seem to feel threatened by this thread because it exposes their tactics and a lot of potential buyers read here on TPF and it's not as dominated by sellers as the fb groups.
Ofcourse they feel threatened,

they shouldbe, so they dont hoard bags going forward and dont sell for a premium!
We don’t have to buy every single unicorn ! We. Cannot travel ! Not many nice places to take our new bags and flaunt!

I agree. I've been reading this thread out of curiosity, and while I don't like the idea of "hoarding" hard to find bags, I also think the ugly personal attacks on some of these sellers is wrong. And the suggestion that anyone who can afford Chanel should just jet off to Europe to buy a bag instead of getting it from a personal shopper is just ludicrous, lol. Here in Canada, we have a total of 6 boutiques in the whole country. Each one gets maybe one or two of each item, some items we don't get at all. So I have a appreciated having the option of having someone overseas help me source a bag that I couldn't get here. Some of the sellers being reported by some people in this thread provide that type of service. To report sellers that you don't know just because you're angry that you couldn't find a bag doesn't sit well with me. We don't know everyone's story. Especially after the year we've had, we don't know who is doing this to earn money because they/their partner lost a job. Just a different perspective to consider.

People don't resort to selling Chanel bags when they're hurting for money. I'm sorry but if you can hoard 4-5 bags at 3-5k each, then you don't have money problems. These people have been leeching off other people for quite sometime now.

Last edited:
When one of the PP said to buy a bag when they travel, I perceived it as something else. A lot of people who don't have luxury boutiques in their countries, have a goal of buying a luxury handbag when they travel to Europe or US. It is one of their goal. Some of my family is in another country and my cousin told me that she is going to buy a LV bag when she visits US. She can easily buy it from one of the Instagram seller (or even through me!) but she wants to experience it fully in boutique including being able to try on the bags, sizes, feel for them before she buys her dream bag. This is what I did when I bought my first Chanel bag and it was a wonderful experience which is hard to describe. I just got lucky and got a great SA.
I am aware that some people do employ personal shoppers when they don't have boutiques in their countries. I know super rich royal families in Gulf hire personal shoppers to buy luxury goods but some princesses/princes will also buy when they visit Europe and US. This is very different from reselling bags at a premium atrocious prices to earn more money!
At least this is what I perceived it as and I also agree about not personally attacking someone. It should work both ways! This is a discussion forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I’m not a legal expert, but I do think there is some ground for getting these resellers shut down, even with the first sale doctrine Supreme Court ruling.

1. Fakes could be mixed in with authentic products. Some of these resellers have bulk amounts and one poster already posted the caramel color looking different. Very shady and worrisome. One of the many reasons I will only by from the boutique or authorized department store like Neimans or Saks.
2. If, similar to Hermes, when you buy a product directly from Chanel their terms of service states that you are not buying to profit or resell, hence if you do resell you are breaking their terms of service you agreed to when you purchased the item.
3. The FTC , DOJ, and other regulatory agencies (these are US ones only), are constantly changing on the level of enforcement against terms of service violators. Check out this first even enforcement on the Bots Act that came this year https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2021/01/ftc-brings-first-ever-cases-under-bots-act
Not related to handbags, and it has to do with automated bots which is different, but the purpose is the same as what these Chanel resellers are doing. Hoarding up supply and making it impossible to purchase directly from the source, the right way.
I’m hoping we’ll see more enforcement against Chanel and H resellers. They brought it on themselves so they should watch out. I for one am fine with not being able to resell. I buy to keep forever, which is how it should be in my opinion. If I tire of an item or don’t use it anymore I’ll give it away to a relative or save it to pass down to nieces or grand kids.
I wonder if they'll ever use that law to go after people who use bots to buy up all the Playstations and Xboxes and resell them on ebay for a huge profit. I can see how it might be easy to draw a line from using bots to buy concert tickets to buying the latest video game consoles, but not sure if you can make the leap to people that hoard luxury bags.

I do think it's more likely that a bunch more resellers will be deplatformed from Instagram, and I bet Chanel wants that to be both a deterrence tactic and a warning to other resellers. Chanel pays IG for advertising so it's in IG's interest to keep their client happy, and if the resellers are violating IG's terms of service in any way they can be booted. I'm sure Chanel will also work to root them out with data tools & recognizing purchasing patterns. Until then, it's clear this thread and a bunch of rumors flying around Facebook has done plenty to freak people out.

And how does anyone defend this. It’s probably embarrassing to admit you’ve overpaid for a bag because of the hype these people use.
My thoughts exactly.
The greed has gone to a level where they are not even targeting the popular colors, just picking up a good old cf from the REV collection, tagging them as ‘hard to find’ and shoving a $2K premium on it.
For anyone who were defending these resellers, I welcome your comment on justifying this price point and behavior.

In the 21P thread on Chanel Shopping page, I mentioned that it's a system that's designed to be taken advantage of, much like Hermes. Chanel is a great marketing and branding company while their Operation team is a complete disgrace. Case in point here: Caramel 19's and MF just sitting on shelves in Chanel Beijing World Towers (photos from the equivalent of Chinese IG, RED). Their archaic buyer system, inability/unwillingness to embrace e-commerce, a non-existent CRM, and allowing too many franchise branches in the US all contribute to this problem.

Personal shoppers serve an important function here in redistributing merchandise to the right areas with regional demand. This was rolling along fine until Covid. Now Chanel is paying the price by never investing in the deficiencies in their distribution strategies and allowing resellers to take a larger and larger slice of the pie. Ultimately, this is Chanel's problem. There will also be those who see opportunities waiting to be gamed in a flawed system. There's corporate greed in Chanel too. A flap (of ever diminishing quality) does not cost 6k to produce even factoring marketing costs. They price based on demand, and so are the resellers/PS. I just think that the vitriol directed to the resellers can be equally directed to Chanel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210223_223005_com.xingin.xhs.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223_223005_com.xingin.xhs.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot_20210223_222954_com.xingin.xhs.jpg
    Screenshot_20210223_222954_com.xingin.xhs.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 239
About US$9,000 for this?! Mark up of about US$1500! Wasn’t somebody defending this reseller before? Please explain this.

View attachment 5000471

this is what i don't get, beige clair is a classic, why would you need to buy this bag with a mark up? what kind of urgency would explain buying this bag right now, right this second for more than what it retails for? just wait for a couple of weeks/months and buy it from the store.

it is just a bag, it is not water, food, shelter or basic clothing, there is no urgency in buying a $5000+ bag. i just don't get this kind of obsession with buying everything. i love chanel, i love lv, i love buying designer bags and slg and designer shoes but going to such lengths to find a bag and pay that much money... idk...

About US$9,000 for this?! Mark up of about US$1500! Wasn’t somebody defending this reseller before? Please explain this.

View attachment 5000471
Retail price in Australia is atleast 15% more than US at the moment. Retail is 10800 AUD for m/l she is charging over retail though !

because fees is 15-20%so these sellers think they can charge as high as they want to get best return for the seller,

Retail price in Australia is atleast 15% more than US at the moment. Retail is 10800 AUD for m/l she is charging over retail though !

because fees is 15-20%so these sellers think they can charge as high as they want to get best return for the seller,

similar thing for my country too, medium classic flap is over $8400 here. i wanted to help a TPFer to buy the caramel medium from the chanel boutique in my country, however the price difference of retail between USA and my country was too stark, not to mention insured shipping from here to US.

Last edited: