Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

Sep 16, 2009
These past month or so I’ve been calling SAs and Chanel customer care for items which I understand ofcourse are high in demand. What surprises me is that I will talk to my SA and customer care and not one of the many items on my list are available but the same day I will see resellers posting them on IG and ofcourse asking for premium prices. I’m beginning to think they put themselves on all of these wait list and will get them first before us and obviously when they get it, they sell at higher prices. Now because we want the items so much and don’t want to wait for another increase, we’re ending up buying the items in much higher prices than they already are. I've seen so many hard to find items in the hands of resellers and I see many bag lovers getting them from resellers instead of the stores. I think there is something wrong in this picture. Is it just me thinking this?

Last edited:
This whole reseller gig has blown up this past year due to stay at home orders/quarantine/pandemic and they know people are more open to purchasing from them with being stuck at home. However, it's become this whole other issue of hoarding all the htf/unicorn items and marking it up to an unreasonable amount. I never minded using a reseller if it's an item that was not released in my country and marked up fairly but with what's going on, the best way to combat resellers behaving this way is to simply not purchase from them. It may be hard not to especially if it's a bag you've been eyeing and desperately want but just know that Chanel always brings styles back/cycles through colors so you'll see it again anyways. If not, you might find another bag that is of interest in the next season. I've been frustrated with all of this as well but I'd rather pay the price increase than the markup from the resellers. It's also just more comforting knowing that my bag came straight from the boutique rather than a middle person handling the bag/taking pictures and videos of it for their insta page.

Best of luck with your search!

This whole reseller gig has blown up this past year due to stay at home orders/quarantine/pandemic and they know people are more open to purchasing from them with being stuck at home. However, it's become this whole other issue of hoarding all the htf/unicorn items and marking it up to an unreasonable amount. I never minded using a reseller if it's an item that was not released in my country and marked up fairly but with what's going on, the best way to combat resellers behaving this way is to simply not purchase from them. It may be hard not to especially if it's a bag you've been eyeing and desperately want but just know that Chanel always brings styles back/cycles through colors so you'll see it again anyways. If not, you might find another bag that is of interest in the next season. I've been frustrated with all of this as well but I'd rather pay the price increase than the markup from the resellers. It's also just more comforting knowing that my bag came straight from the boutique rather than a middle person handling the bag/taking pictures and videos of it for their insta page.

Best of luck with your search!

Yes I am not purchasing from resellers either. I just feel their prices are way too high and yes for an item that's been passed around from stores to them to take photos and then shipping, I wouldn't pay premium for that. I agree that I would rather wait until I can purchase from store or directly from my SA even with price increase. I just tell myself if I can't get my hands on one at the right price, then it's not meant for me.

How do you get rid of these resellers?
Simple, dont purchase anything they sell.

i dont.. i just follow their IGs to know what's out there and available. i couldn't go to the stores so i checked the IGs and call my SA to find out if they have on stock.. but as always, no stock anywhere.. but i just saw it from an IG post from a reseller!

I started this thread in relation to this topic and got great suggestions on how to get hard to get unicorns straight from the boutique. I already contacted my SA and had her put my name down for a bag.

I agree with you 100%! I am very frustrated on how this is happening and how even Chanel is allowing it. I guess there is not much they can do but just keep increasing prices so that it gets harder for resellers to sell it. But this doesn't stop from a lot of people to keep buying from resellers. There are some popular Youtubers who openly say that they have bought from personal shoppers and they the shoppers get even more attention. Like today, Vivser youtuber said she bought the caramel Chanel 19 from a personal shopper. I bet this shopper already got a lot of requests.

It is not just personal shoppers. Even some regular customers will buy them and then change their minds after which they decide to sell the bag on their own with a premium when they can easily return it back. In US, the return policy is 14-30 days depending on the store. I came across a person recently in a FB group who was selling the caramel Chanel 19 bag just because she decided it was not the color she wanted after all. I can never think of something like this and plus go through the stress of selling it to a complete stranger.

I would use personal shoppers to buy vintage bags or bags from past seasons which I understand but selling current seasonal bags at premium is atrocious! I agree with PPs, dont buy from them. Dont encourage them.

These past month or so I’ve been calling SAs and Chanel customer care for items which I understand ofcourse are high in demand. What surprises me is that I will talk to my SA and customer care and not one of the many items on my list are available but the same day I will see resellers posting them on IG and ofcourse asking for premium prices. I’m beginning to think they put themselves on all of these wait list and will get them first before us and obviously when they get it, they sell at higher prices. Now because we want the items so much and don’t want to wait for another increase, we’re ending up buying the items in much higher prices than they already are. I've seen so many hard to find items in the hands of resellers and I see many bag lovers getting them from resellers instead of the stores. I think there is something wrong in this picture. Is it just me thinking this?
Are you turning in the resellers when you call? If not you should be. This is a huge problem and will continue to be if we don’t make it hard for them to do it.

I started this thread in relation to this topic and got great suggestions on how to get hard to get unicorns straight from the boutique. I already contacted my SA and had her put my name down for a bag.

I agree with you 100%! I am very frustrated on how this is happening and how even Chanel is allowing it. I guess there is not much they can do but just keep increasing prices so that it gets harder for resellers to sell it. But this doesn't stop from a lot of people to keep buying from resellers. There are some popular Youtubers who openly say that they have bought from personal shoppers and they the shoppers get even more attention. Like today, Vivser youtuber said she bought the caramel Chanel 19 from a personal shopper. I bet this shopper already got a lot of requests.

It is not just personal shoppers. Even some regular customers will buy them and then change their minds after which they decide to sell the bag on their own with a premium when they can easily return it back. In US, the return policy is 14-30 days depending on the store. I came across a person recently in a FB group who was selling the caramel Chanel 19 bag just because she decided it was not the color she wanted after all. I can never think of something like this and plus go through the stress of selling it to a complete stranger.

I would use personal shoppers to buy vintage bags or bags from past seasons which I understand but selling current seasonal bags at premium is atrocious! I agree with PPs, dont buy from them. Dont encourage them.
Thank you for this thread you started. It is helpful.
I agree with everyone. I don’t think we can stop this but yes I won’t be buying from them for sure. I’ll just wait to find them in stores and directly from SA. If not, then it’s not meant to be. I can use money for something else.

From what I’ve heard from multiple SA’s are that they are really cracking down on the personal shoppers and resellers. Many are now supposed to check the buyers profile to see if they’ve bought any bags or items recently. They will have a big N with a red mark next to their name if they are banned. Higher ups are also trying to find a way to connect their systems so that they can check if the resellers/personal shoppers are also purchasing from department stores and international stores. It’s a huge issue and I know it’s causing a lot of stress for the SA’s because everything is being sold to the resellers/personal shoppers. My SA said that they are also extremely rude and pushy when trying to buy the bags. The limit is 12 bags per year and 12 slg per year. Obviously if you spend millions or VVVVIP, you get special treatment and the limit won’t apply.

Are you turning in the resellers when you call? If not you should be. This is a huge problem and will continue to be if we don’t make it hard for them to do it.

If I’m ever in love with something enough to pay the premium of a personal shopper, which could very likely happen, I vow to report the serial number to Chanel so they can ban the buyer