Reseller markups.....

^^Everything goes well right now. The wedding gowns, jewellery, decorations, entertaintment, guest list, gifts, everything has been settled. I'm just waiting for the big day.

I also find it hard to accept a big mark up, 'cause I think I can buy an extra bag with that money....I also have to add that bags are a bit cheaper here in Europe than elsewhere, so the mark up for me is even higher. But as Shopmom says, try and work something out with the seller, there's no harm in trying...Otherwise you can SO it at the Feb. Podium, that would mean that you would get it next Autumn/Winter season... Finally, the price is the same as an all leather Birkin (Togo or Clemence..) as you rightly say...:smile:

Girls,

I have advance info that a well-known reseller (well know to us on the forum) is about to have my toile combo Birkin available. What is your opinion on the price mark-ups of resellers? I've been scouring the inventory thread, and this combe hasn't come up, so I can't just place a call to a store and send Mr Fed Ex over to pick it up....should I pay the extra, or do you think the mark up is a little over the top?

She generally charges around 10-11K for her 35 Birkins, so I'm expecting this one to be around that price. There have been three others on eBay also at this price, but I have held out because I figured it was far too much to pay...now hermes has gone into Autumn/Winter production, will I have a chance to get this one, or should I just bite the bullet and pay the premium????????????

My store manager says there's alot of toile combo being offered in the coming months which is why she can give me one if I want !!

I think you should hold out and try to buy from a store :wlae:

I wouldn't do it too. I am OK with approx USD1,500 to USD2,000 mark up, but I would not pay the 4-5K mark up as commonly shown on eBay. If it is a really popular or TDF leather/colour/hw combination, then maybe I would reconsider.

Before my first experience with a reputable reseller, I was actually crazy enough to want to part with USD12K (I think it was 12K, I cannot remember now) for a JPG shoulder birkin. I am so glad I didn't, because as it turns out, my order with the H boutique could possibly arrive sooner than later.

I, for one, would be willing to wait and go through the store. Not only would it be cheaper, it would show your loyalty to the company through your patience and perserverance. Remember Hermes wants lifelong customers, not fly-by-nighters. They want the type of customer who loves their product enought to wait years for it. They're an old-fashioned European company that will not compromise quality to fit the current trend, that's why they still make bags by hand and have not chosen to mass produce them. If they won't compromise, why should you? Also, you have a lifetime to collect these bags, so I for one, wouldn't rush. To me, the waiting is part of the fun with Hermes. I appreciate my bags more. Besides, nothing's better than knowing that somewhere someone made this bag to your specifications by hand, should you decide to SO. It may take a while to get to this level, but good things come to those who wait. And I believe by showing your patience and understanding, you will ultimately be rewarded.

I'm not a good one to ask because I have no patience (3 teens sucks it all out of me!)....to wait for bags to come in a store I rarely can visit! Next yr. I want (I think) a toile birkin....and most likely will keep my eyes on the resellers as I've had great luck....and I do pay some markup due to the not waiting issue, etc., but it works for me. Not for everyone I understand! I did see a 30 combo on ebay for around 8 this summer and wish I got that!

i have worked with a reputable reseller..i don't have the patience to wait years....he never charges more than 1000-2000 above mark-up....i have seen the toile, perfect condiition from last year's production for 8950.. before i knew you and it's gone now, as i was thinking about it too - great bag! good luck..

i have to say, i agree with hermesgroupie (of course, as we all know - easier said then done). hermes isn't exactly punished if you buy from a reseller, since presumably the bag was bought from them in the first place, and not taken in one of bagg's plotted heists, but i just like the legacy it gives the bag, adds to the richness, when the story is that it came from the store. would this birkin be brand new?

Kristie, would you call this your Holy Grail bag or Birkin? I have one of those and I can understand the "pull" to get it however I could.
My advice, though, is to feel out your store for this bag. Since you're already able to special order, I'd sit on it for awhile. You have the Brown Birkin and green Kelly coming. Wait for those and then try to work on the white/toile. This bag will show up again.
I think ebay/resellers are all good and fine for those who don't live near Hermes, or those who are unable to special order or develop a relationship with a store and SA. You have both.

That being said, I'd still talk to your reseller and offer NO MORE than 2k markup for this bag. See what she says and so from there!!

ahh - the green kelly is off the radar for now.....but no, this isn't what I would call my holy grail bag - that would be beige-rose croc, or the elusive vert jasmin........

my store is definitely not getting this one, although I could place an order in 12 months.....hmmm.........you've all got me thinking, now!

^ OKay, that helps. Anytime you can place an order at your store, do it Vs. a reseller. Part of the allure of these bags is getting to pick and choose your own specs and have it made just for you! I know your summer season is coming up and you want this bag, though!

yeah, that's the problem......you really understand GT!! I wanted this one for summer, but I can wait. My choc orange combo will placed in February ans I just missed the July session...but I don't want to order two bags for the Feb Pod. in case they both arrive at the same time.....I think you may be right...after reading all the replys, I might just wait it out, and put in a request at my store....

I'm just getting antsy because I thought I was getting my hands on that Kelly, so now I'm seeking retail therapy!