Resell Value?

Awwww...! u guys r too sweett...! :smile: usually ppl would just go "i don't even know this person, whatever, just tell her to go ahead and buy as many bags, i dont give a damn".
the bags are just so AWFULLY tempting.... :nuts: especially since joining this forum and learning how to appreciate them...everyone has such beautiful bags that i want one too! :cry:

Orinoco I totally understand :smile: I just got out of college too, but thankfully I wasn't much into purses before (and plus never discovered this forum) so my obsession didnt really start til lately. I've been in love with balenciaga city though for a couple years now but I never justify buying it. But since I'm working full time now with money leftover after paying rents and other bills (oooohh it feels GOOD to afford everything with my own money), and my love for that bag haven't died yet, I might get one of my own in the near future :smile:

I know you probably have a sudden rush to get your own, but I suggest you wait until you can afford it for yourself since it is extra expense on top of college. I'm sure you'd appreciate it much more then :smile: Just my 2 cents

Well, if you sell a bag you bought at retail, you are going to take a hit. For the most part though, I know that mono Lv's get at least 50% of retail price (but only in good condition- if you are a bag abuser, forget it!)

pursemama said:
I'm sorry honey, you're not going to like this :sad: , but I have to side with mama (ATM), unless you can pay for the designer bags yourself or at least half of the price. You are a student, so that means $$ for tuition, loans, books, transportation, etc. those are the most important investment priorities right now. As for the resell value of handbags, it all depends on how much demand for it is, the condition, was it a limited edition, who is the designer - Chanel, Hermes, etc. and even then you might not get a good amount back.

I agree. This is not the time to buy designer bags, honey. Buy it when you can pay for it yourself. I say the resale value is only 50-70%

I think a good designer bag, gently used, might get you 50% back on average. Of course, very "hot" bags can be sold close to retail, even gently used, but the time frame on that is short. Once they aren't "hot" anymore, you will be lucky to get the 50%.

Classics such as Hermes hold much more value, but the investment is much higher to begin with, and you still need beautiful condition to get top dollar.

Real classics or incredibly rare and limited edition bags are really the only ones that will hold or increase resale value. For example I saw a 1990's Kelly on sale in a London dept store at £4500 yesterday. I collect Lulu Guiness limited editions that only come in 500's or 200's - the first one she did of these which was a house with a red suede roof is impossible to find and would fetch thousands if one came up for auction.

I really think the large multi-national brands such as LV or YSL or Gucci will never hold their value - although they are seen as exclusive luxury brands their stores are EVERYWHERE and loads of people have their bags. There are a lot of these bags on the market.

The things that count are rarity and condition. I have a limited edition Moschino bag ( the one that was advertised in a patisserie shop amongst loads of cakes when it first came out, it's called the chocolate bag ) made of beautiful polished calfskin but I daren't take it out - one scratch and future resale value drops! This is a real pity as it is beautiful. If you are into vintage bags a very rare colour of the Llewellyn beehive lucite bag from the 1950's sold for over $800 in the last few weeks - imagine the return on that if you had bought it for $50 in 1950!

I do agree with the other posts on this thread - don't use credit or get into debt - I only buy when I can afford. DO finish college first - that is an investment that really holds its value! When you get a high paying job after graduation then you can afford the bags!

katy,

OT, would you mind posting a pic of your Moschino chocolate bag? I've been searching high and lo for it ever since I saw a pic here on PBF, and would love to drool over yours!

Greendrv said:
katy,

OT, would you mind posting a pic of your Moschino chocolate bag? I've been searching high and lo for it ever since I saw a pic here on PBF, and would love to drool over yours!

Greendry - I would love to post a pic but I am a complete technophobe and have no idea how to do it! Mine was purchased around 2002 when they reisued it briefly - I think the original ones were issued in about 1997 or 1998. It is gorgeous - my dad is visiting tomorrow with his digital camera so I will see if he can do it!

It is gorgeous! I drool over it myself every day!

Hi Orinoko,

I'm in sort of the same situation -- grad school -- so defintely don't want to start buying 1K+ bags right now. (my next purchase over 1K should be a laptop:smile: But what about a compromise with your mom? I've been sticking with bags that you can usually get for between $100 and $300 and that are pretty basic. Black Prada large tote for books, brown coach hobo, small black fendi, etc. You can usually find them with papers on ebay. Not as gorgeous as all of the spys and speedies around here...but maybe your mom would be more likely to go for something like that. And you can usually sell them for something later. Don't worry tho, once I get a job, the LV's will be mine (yours too!)!:smile:

boxyandme said:
I'm so glad that I didn't know or care much for designer purses until after college and grad school. I would be in alot of trouble!

Same for me ... I didn't buy my first designer bag until I was finished university. I don't remember too many girls carrying designer purses when I was on campus. I guess things are a little different now.

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread -- I mentioned getting bags for under $300 on ebay...not sure that is really a good idea. I got my coach at Nordstroms and Fendi at Bluefly, both were relatively inexpensive. I was going to get a gucci on ebay, but am having a lot of concerns about authenticity. So maybe ebay is not the way to go!