Rescue cat with missing teeth. Issue?

gazoo

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
A few months ago we adopted a kitty that had been mauled by a raccoon. He was found unconscious with gaping abdominal wounds. He is fully declawed, so he must have either escaped or been abandoned. A good samaritan brought him to a local animal hospital where after several weeks of care and a couple of blood transfusions, they put him up for adoption. When they approved me for the adoption, they told me he might be a year old and that he was good to go health-wise.

Last night I noticed he has 2 canines on one side (looks like the baby and the adult one next to each other) and the other canine on the other side but no front teeth on the topside. His molars look okay. He eats dry food and has a ravenous appetite, so this isn't affecting his eating habits at all. My question is, should I take him in to have his teeth checked further? He doesn't have decay that I can see at all, nor does he have bad breath.

I don't have much experience with cat ownership. Will this affect him in life? Could he be way older than their estimate and does anyone have any idea how one could tell? Is this a common thing with cats?

He's become a huge part of our lives. I can't imagine how anyone could have abandoned him, he's the sweetest thing ever.

I wonder if it might be easier for him to eat wet food? We have a cat at the shelter with absolutely no teeth. Ironically, also got in a fight with a raccoon. Like dogs, cats are aged on their teeth, so of course it's a guess and they can't be 100% positive the cat is a one year old. I read that once the adult teeth come in it's difficult to accurately age cats. If they received the cat while it was still a kitten the age should be fairly accurate as it's easier to tell their age with their baby teeth still intact.

I don't know how long ago you adopted him but the shelter I work at has a list of vets that give free exams within the first week, and the shelter will also see newly adopted pets within the first two weeks. You can also try calling your local vet and let them know you just adopted from a shelter and see if they'll waive the initial visit fee. I definitely recommend taking in your new kitty :smile:

i agree wet food as main meal and dry food as nibbles....and can we have some photos?? :P

it angers me everytime when i read some owner declawed their cats and abandoned them and left them so venerable in the street. :cursing:

Good grief, your poor little kitty has been through a lot! I'm glad to hear that he now has a loving and doting home. :smile:

A couple questions: How old is he? Is he an orange tabby? Is a breed of cat with a pushed in face?

Orange tabbies and cats with pushed-in faces like Persians tend to have gingivitis problems in later years, and it's good to keep an eye on that.

Otherwise, the missing teeth shouldn't ever be a problem. Cats have a lot of teeth--I think 24. Losing a few doesn't seem to affect them as much as losing a tooth or two affects a dog.

I have an orange tabby that has had fourteen teeth pulled over the years, most about 6 years ago. He still eats both cereal and wet food voraciously. The only eating change I've noticed in him over the years is that he's become finicky about the texture of his wet food. He only likes to eat certain textures. Can't be too gloppy or runny. Has to be more like a pureed-babyfood texture. Unless there is albacore tuna involved. :P My vet tells me that food texture-fussiness is common among elderly cats, but it also might be because he's gumming a lot.

Good luck with your cat! I'm so glad he has found a good home!

We tried offering canned foot last night. He refused it. Just smelled it and turned back to his dry food. lol He eats a lot of dry food, he's filled out quite nicely from the thin frail boy he was when we brought him home.

BigPurseSue: I don't know his age. I was told he is a Bengal. No pushed in face. Here is a recent picture.

We adopted him in March. He's been the easiest thing ever. He actually listens if you tell him not to get on something and comes when called. He seriously reminds me of a dog. He sticks to me like glue, almost exhibiting separation anxiety which is cute but sad when I leave the house as he meows his head off. He follows me from room to room and presses up against me whenever I sit down. There is always someone home since my DH works from home; that was one of the criteria of the adoption contract so I assume they knew he was a sensitive boy.

Attachments

• P1170537.jpg
    P1170537.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 929
Oh what a beautiful cat!

I have had a mix of racs and cats around here off and on for several years and everyone got along quite well. The only time a saw a rac go after a cat was when Momma rac chased Crazy Chester. but he was a total pot-stirring azzhole so I had to assume he must have done something to have deserved it as she was fine with all the other cats. I never knew racs could run that fast!
The young racs would fight amongst themselves and it is a fearsome sound they make. I had to get the broom on a few occasions and go out and break them up when it started sounding like WWIII in my driveway.

One of my parent's cats only has a few teeth (she had dental problems when we got her and had to have most removed). She can eat dry food just fine, even the vet said it was ok. They did say she would probably lose the rest of her teeth but we switched her to a meat diet. She can eat it, no problem (they just cut it up really small) and her teeth have improved immensely (she hasn't had any more removed).

If he ever seems to have problems with the dry food, just dampen it a bit. But if you're willing to, I would consider meat or at least dry food that doesn't have any grain in it---that should help him keep the teeth he still has.

Oh what a love! :love: I've heard Bengals are very smart. And very dog-like in their constant devotion.

I think he'll be just fine without a few teeth, and it sounds like he's off to a great start! What a lucky family you are to have taken him in!

Crazy update:
Last night he yawned loudly and I saw little fresh nubs. He has 3 new teeth in the front. I can hardly believe it. Could he really be way younger than they said? He's huge if so!

what a beautiful kitty!
As long as he's eating OK it's probably fine. Next time you go to the vet, you could ask about the teeth, just to make sure there is no underlying problem.
we had a cat that we adopted from a neighbor. she had his teeth pulled and it turned out after repeated visits to different vets that he had an immune system problem. he had to go on Prednisone. But he was in pain - had trouble eating. If your cat is eating ravenously, that's a different case.
Good for you for rescuting this beauty!

Poopsie, where are you?
We're in east county SD and we do see racoons but one at a time....never in a group and fighting. Sounds exciting.

Oh what a beautiful cat!

I have had a mix of racs and cats around here off and on for several years and everyone got along quite well. The only time a saw a rac go after a cat was when Momma rac chased Crazy Chester. but he was a total pot-stirring azzhole so I had to assume he must have done something to have deserved it as she was fine with all the other cats. I never knew racs could run that fast!
The young racs would fight amongst themselves and it is a fearsome sound they make. I had to get the broom on a few occasions and go out and break them up when it started sounding like WWIII in my driveway.