Requirements to be a sales associate?

deej87

Feb 26, 2012
I'm just wondering about this. I'm not looking for a job per se but I'm wondering if they only hire people that own CL shoes etc?? I always wondered. Anyone have any insight?

Hi! I'm not sure about requiring people to actually have the shoes, but I was at a store in Paris the other day with a friend, and the sales lady was so nice my friend managed to ask a little about it.

The sales lady merely mentioned that sales associates get to choose any pair they want (no idea about frequency though) . Apparently though, they're encouraged to wear the "flashier" pairs to stand out a bit.

Other than that, I would say presentation should be a plus... Hmm. I'll try my hand at this at some point, I think.

Most high end salons (both shoes and clothing) tend to give their sales reps an "allowance" per quarter or year. As you move up the ranks from associate to manager, your allowance increases.

I was shopping at an Allsaints store and spoke with the manager about it briefly. He said that some places go by number or pieces whereas some places go by monetary amount. Hope this helps :smile:

My SA told me they get an allowance up to 4 pairs, but they do not get to chose much. Definitely not the much sought after pairs because the priority is given to customers. If they want to purchase more than 4 pairs, they get a 40% discount.

My SAs, poor things, are only on a salary here in Japan and they get zero sales commission btw.

Haven't worked for CL (that would be fun though!) but have worked in boutiques.

I can tell you that the way you look (both as in natural beauty and the way you dress) is as important as experience and being a good seller. If you don't look the part you won't get the job.

Yes that sounds pretty bad.... But it is the truth! Brands sell a certain image and a dream, if you work for them you are the brand in the hours you spend at work. Ie your image is everything. You are a live mannequin. Very often customers came in and asked to buy what I was wearing. If something wasn't selling I would put it on and by the end of the day it would be gone.

So if applying for a job make sure you present yourself well and make the boss desire to have you as an asset for the shop.

With that said, gemini82, do you think being a plus sized person would be a no ?

I mean, I discovered a while ago that I don't get discriminated against as a customer in such high end stores (what a wonderful experience that was!) but, as much as I wouldn't apply to work for Dior in a clothing store, I was wondering what the opinion would be for a Louboutin shoe store.

I mean I can wear Louboutins up to 70 mm, and could probably do fine in 85 mm, so that would work for me I guess xD ... but the rest... no idea.

I'm really thinking about it though. And since I live not that far from Paris, I guess I could have a go at this xD ... eeek.

I have a friend that just recently got a job at CL in NYC..

She is just so lovely... very understated & so refined & has blossomed into a
very attractive young woman (know her for 9 + years) with superb taste & style

She loves it there.. Her dress is smart & tasteful & truthfully didn't even notice
what CL shoes she was wearing...

I have a friend that just recently got a job at CL in NYC..

She is just so lovely... very understated & so refined & has blossomed into a
very attractive young woman (know her for 9 + years) with superb taste & style

She loves it there.. Her dress is smart & tasteful & truthfully didn't even notice
what CL shoes she was wearing...

That is very cool!!

What sort of styles/heights do the Sales Associates normally wear? I assume not hot chick 130's !

Most of my SAs at the various boutiques I visit frequently (SF, both Vegas stores and SCP) wear kitty heels, flats or the Louis sneaker. Several years ago I was told the SAs get a 30 or 40% discount on their shoes, but the discount did not apply on exotics. I'm not sure if this still applies presently. They do seem to get first dibs on the shoes that get sent to the sample sale.

Haven't worked for CL (that would be fun though!) but have worked in boutiques.

I can tell you that the way you look (both as in natural beauty and the way you dress) is as important as experience and being a good seller. If you don't look the part you won't get the job.

Yes that sounds pretty bad.... But it is the truth! Brands sell a certain image and a dream, if you work for them you are the brand in the hours you spend at work. Ie your image is everything. You are a live mannequin. Very often customers came in and asked to buy what I was wearing. If something wasn't selling I would put it on and by the end of the day it would be gone.

So if applying for a job make sure you present yourself well and make the boss desire to have you as an asset for the shop.

ITA with this. I've been to every single boutique in the U.S. (except for one) and all across the board, the SAs all present themselves well. I always check out the pairs that the SAs are wearing.

With that said, gemini82, do you think being a plus sized person would be a no ?

I mean, I discovered a while ago that I don't get discriminated against as a customer in such high end stores (what a wonderful experience that was!) but, as much as I wouldn't apply to work for Dior in a clothing store, I was wondering what the opinion would be for a Louboutin shoe store.

I mean I can wear Louboutins up to 70 mm, and could probably do fine in 85 mm, so that would work for me I guess xD ... but the rest... no idea.

I'm really thinking about it though. And since I live not that far from Paris, I guess I could have a go at this xD ... eeek.

I don't necessarily think being a plus sized person would be a no. However, from what I've seen most SAs are thin-average builds. I know of one in Vegas who is a little more fuller figured and that hasn't hurt her.

ITA with this. I've been to every single boutique in the U.S. (except for one) and all across the board, the SAs all present themselves well. I always check out the pairs that the SAs are wearing.

I don't necessarily think being a plus sized person would be a no. However, from what I've seen most SAs are thin-average builds. I know of one in Vegas who is a little more fuller figured and that hasn't hurt her.

I am very impressed that you've been to that many boutiques!!!!:smile:

Thank you for your honest reply! I mean, I don't expect to be chosen right away, and I still have "appearance" adjustments to make (like make-up and stuff, to look more polished) but I'm thinking... hey, I'll just take the risk eventually. :smile:

I mean even an internship for free would be a dream to do xD