Request to ship w/o signature confirmation

JuliJenn

Spring flash of color
O.G.
Jan 14, 2012
Hi Everyone!
May I please ask for your help? I just sold a Balenciaga bag in a best offer for $600. The buyer paid right away. She has pretty good feedback, both as a buyer and a seller. The thing is, after the sale, she sent me a message asking me to ship without signature confirmation because she said the mailman knocking makes her dog bark, and she has high ceilings and it drives her nuts. She has sold some items valuing over $250, so I know she must be aware that eBay will only honor delivery confirmation if it comes with a signature. And wouldn't the mailman knock to deliver the package anyway, signature confirmation or not? I messaged her back letting her know that I was sorry I couldn't accommodate her request, but I was required to ship with signature for any item valued over $250. She has not messaged me back. Should I be worried? Does this seem unusual? Everything seemed on the up and up, but this has me concerned. Thank you all very much for any advice you can offer!

Eh, I personally wouldn't see this as a red flag especially if she has good feedback and a reputation of selling high end items as well. I have a yappy dog just when someone walks on the sidewalk 30 feet in front of my house and it's beyond irritating, so I get it. I myself hate it when people ship to me with signature confirmation because A) I'm not home and B) the mailman generally comes just before my mom gets home as well to sign, which therefore makes her have to go back out to pick it up or I have to race home from work on a Saturday to pick it up, or wait until the following Monday when I'm off. It can be a hassle with the signatures at times, however in this case with the postal policies, she doesn't have much of a choice. Now, if her feedback was questionable or she had no feedback or something seemed fishy in her message, I'd be concerned.

Eh, I personally wouldn't see this as a red flag especially if she has good feedback and a reputation of selling high end items as well. I have a yappy dog just when someone walks on the sidewalk 30 feet in front of my house and it's beyond irritating, so I get it. I myself hate it when people ship to me with signature confirmation because A) I'm not home and B) the mailman generally comes just before my mom gets home as well to sign, which therefore makes her have to go back out to pick it up or I have to race home from work on a Saturday to pick it up, or wait until the following Monday when I'm off. It can be a hassle with the signatures at times, however in this case with the postal policies, she doesn't have much of a choice. Now, if her feedback was questionable or she had no feedback or something seemed fishy in her message, I'd be concerned.

Hi Hatfield, thank you so much for your reply. I always get a little too nervous about these things, so I appreciate your POV. My instincts are never usually right, so I'm glad I asked. It nice to know that its probably just me again, and my overly active worry gene. Thanks again for your post and I hope you have a great day!

I wouldn't worry too much, but definitely stick to your guns and DON'T ACCOMODATE her request. I am very upfront when they ask me and just say, "Sorry, I am required to do it for my protection and to ensure you did received the bag."

I would not send it w/o the signature confirmation. Your buyer might have the best FBs in the world but if something goes wrong, you're the one in trouble with PP. If you are sending the item via courier, you can ask them to hold the package at their depot for buyer to pick it up (with signature confirmation).

I would not send this bag under any circumstances without signature confirmation
with a house full of dogs or one dog.. sorry!!

When you don't follow the rules, you become vulnerable. This buyer is also
a seller? She too knows what the rules are. Are you in a position to lose $600?
Don't think so...

She needs to make other arrangements to pick up the bag & would just ship
it out with on line tracking with signature, insurance, etc.

I had the same request this morning from a buyer because she is not home enough to sign, same situation she has excellent feedback but I said unfortunately I have to use the signature confirmation for seller protection. I also made a point of saying that if you ship your labels through ebay it defaults to signature confirmation...it stinks to not be considerate. I feel your pain but I do believe if we are going to play the ebay game we better follow all the rules!

Tell her that the only way you will accommodate her request is if she agrees to pay you with a Postal Money Order. Otherwise no way would I omit SC. Why do these things always come up after the fact? She is either a clueless seller or up to no good. IMO.

Although I don't see huge red flags regarding the buyer, she should know that as a seller, you'd be SOL if she claims non-receipt. Even if d.c. shows she got it, without s.c., you'll lose a dispute. Do not do it.

I've sold and bought from ebay and as a buyer (form ebay or any other online store in general) I hate having to sign for packages. I live in a safe gated community where packages are often left on the front porch without issue. Having to drive to the post office can definitely be an inconvenience for people who work and will have to wait for saturday to pick up the package. I will often make this request just because it's more convenient for me and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people do - this doesn't mean you should be suspicious of them. But I also understand that many sellers will feel uncomfortable with it.

As a seller I wouldn't ship without signature confirmation. You want to stay protected throughout your transaction and this is just another way to make sure it all goes smoothly. The buyer probably knows this, and any reasonable buyer would understand.

I've sold and bought from ebay and as a buyer (form ebay or any other online store in general) I hate having to sign for packages. I live in a safe gated community where packages are often left on the front porch without issue. Having to drive to the post office can definitely be an inconvenience for people who work and will have to wait for saturday to pick up the package. I will often make this request just because it's more convenient for me and I'm pretty sure a lot of other people do - this doesn't mean you should be suspicious of them. But I also understand that many sellers will feel uncomfortable with it.

As a seller I wouldn't ship without signature confirmation. You want to stay protected throughout your transaction and this is just another way to make sure it all goes smoothly. The buyer probably knows this, and any reasonable buyer would understand.

Buyers need to understand that it's not a matter of "sellers feeling uncomfortable" about shipping without s.c.

It's a matter of the seller completely giving up any protection they have in the event a buyer claims not to have received the item.

Even if d.c. shows delivery at such-and-such zip code, on such-and-such date and time, without a signature on a $250+ item, the seller will LOSE the dispute, the item and the money.

Buyers who want to shop for expensive items online need to understand that there's some inconvenience they'll experience in exchange for the luxury of shopping from home.

Hi Everyone!
May I please ask for your help? I just sold a Balenciaga bag in a best offer for $600. The buyer paid right away. She has pretty good feedback, both as a buyer and a seller. The thing is, after the sale, she sent me a message asking me to ship without signature confirmation because she said the mailman knocking makes her dog bark, and she has high ceilings and it drives her nuts.

oh man!
just when i think i have heard it all! they may bark but it won't last for hours i am sure! i have a yorkie and if he hears that doorbell and will bark,too but it only lasts a few seconds.

Buyers need to understand that it's not a matter of "sellers feeling uncomfortable" about shipping without s.c.

It's a matter of the seller completely giving up any protection they have in the event a buyer claims not to have received the item.

Even if d.c. shows delivery at such-and-such zip code, on such-and-such date and time, without a signature on a $250+ item, the seller will LOSE the dispute, the item and the money.

Buyers who want to shop for expensive items online need to understand that there's some inconvenience they'll experience in exchange for the luxury of shopping from home.

very well said!!

I totally understand this policy and would personally never try to circumvent it as a buyer, or agree to ship without s.c. as a seller. But I am curious what would happen if a seller honored a buyer's request to send without s.c. and then the buyer filed an INR, but d.c. showed the package as delivered. Wouldn't the seller at least have some leverage by being able to provide eBay with the email from the buyer requesting no s.c.?