Reputable Site for Mother's Band

HauteMama

O.G.
Sep 22, 2006
My mum is looking to buy a Mother's ring with 6 gemstones. Genuine stones are preferable, but lab created stones would be okay, and she would like 14K or 18K yellow gold. Is there a reputable site where she could order such a thing, or is she stuck with either a mall jeweler or the local jeweler who wants to charge her more than double what the ring is worth?

No one? I phoned Blue Nile, but they do not source gemstones for customized rings like that. Many other places that offer Mother's Jewelry are not reputable (have dreadful reviews) and do not offer returns. Her local jeweler tried to tell her that over $500 was a reasonable price for a .25 ct diamond with I1 clarity, and was so much better than department stores :rolleyes:. The local jeweler where I live turned out to not be so great (we originally went there for a diamond upgrade and he tried to take advantage of DH).

I have been trying to suggest just a diamond band, but being a widow, she doesn't want people thinking she is remarried or that it's a wedding band. I then tried to suggest a sapphire and diamond band, but she seems to think that if she's going gemstones, she might as well get birthstones.

Any suggestions? Please?

You could see what GemVara does but I have not been impressed with their pieces, their prices or the games they play on their site. IE: A friend of mine configured a necklace, price shown very clearly. She added it to her cart, again, same price. As soon as she clicked checkout, literally a matter of about 10 minutes has passed on a Sunday night, the price went up almost $200. Their reply? You must have done something wrong. They wouldn't honor it, even with screen shots to prove it. When she told me about it, I tried it and took screen shots to show time stamps. I configured something I'd never buy, and sure enough, I clicked Checkout, and a matter of about 2 minutes has elapsed, the price jumps almost $300. No explanation, nothing. Besides that, if you want a quality diamond, you have to engage a salesperson. So nothing is out in the open, you can't just select a diamond or a stone. You get what you get. They will give you the report number for the stone, but the stone is not wellcut or anything worth being excited over.

If she's looking for a bunch of different stones, that might be a harder one to find reputable jewelers to do, since sourcing the random stones is harder to do in those smaller sizes for a jeweler that generally doesn't stock such things.