Reported fake item to ebay but ignored and it sold :(

Sometimes when i report fakes they get removed pretty quickly, other times they don't get removed at all, there's not much that can be done, you can only do your bit !

Hi,

I have been learning, with the help of the ladies on the authnticate this forum, and think I have a bit of a handle on whats fake and what isn't. I saw this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120494280896&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and reported it... It looks blatently fake to me (please tell me I'm right and I didn't report a real bag!) but they ignored it and it sold for about $350. :confused1: Why?

HI.

I'm not much of a LV person, but I do use eBay as a seller and buyer.
If you see something suspicious, the best option is to test it out with the authenticate this LV forum team. If they confirm your suspicion, then you can report it with confidence and you can probably say why it is faulty.

This is a good method because it protects the seller, just in case you are wrong. AND, if the LV team give it the big NO!, then you and other members are likely to report it. Numbers of people reporting an item is the key.

The reason I say to exercise caution is that although an item may not look familiar, or there may not be enough photos, if you are early on in collecting LV, you might not be 100% correct either way. That's why the authenticators are such a great resource for buyers. Their experience is important.

I collect Chanel and early on, I constantly saw things that I thought were either fake or real for various reasons. I did give a poor seller heart failure I think by saying their item was fake because I didn't know where to look for an authentication key point on that particular style. So I apologized profusely when I discovered I was wrong.... I have waaaay too many Chanels now (can you have too many?) but I still find something new and surprising, particularly with previous ranges.

Also, there are ranges of LVs released all over the world and some styles are only released in certain countries because of consumer preferences. So sometimes the style may not be in every country, so an item can look suspect because it is not familiar.

I collect magazines about bags. I have them for various brands. I just looked at a LV one for a particular year. It has about 105 pages, each page with pictures of about 25 items. So that's a lot of items to know about from just one magazine. I suspect that even SA's in boutiques would not be able to spot every single range that their company has produced.

But there are fakes out there. Be vigilant! Maybe it is fake, maybe it needs more photos, maybe it's real. So, post that one to the authenticate this item team and you will know for certain either way, and learn something more in the process.

There is never too much to learn about bags! And it is nice that you want to help protect other buyers. :smile:

I also agree with LadyIsobel - sometimes you report things and they are still there, other times they get taken down.

It IS so fraustrating though when they stay up, i always report and keep them on my watched list so i can see if they get taken down, the most recent one stayed up , didn't sell, and is now relisted, what's especially annoying is that the seller won't take paypal , says they're having trouble with their account and will only take cheques or postal orders, so any poor sod who buys it will have next to no recourse.

Also, it has been my experience that items originating on ebay.au and ebay.ca are more difficult to get removed.

Has this item be confirmed by the ATLV as fake?

I didn't think I'd waste their time as it has already been bought and they are very busy with people who are wanting to buy items.

Have you checked the pictures? It looks fairly obvious to me that it is attempting to be a LV Noe GM ( a bag I own).

It just seems such a shame for the person who bought it as it can be bought (authentic) on ebay for the same price they paid... ebay are either too slow or don't care.

I don't expect anything on eBay to be authentic. If you tell a friend that you bought a Louis Vuitton on eBay the first thought they will have is that you bought a fake.

:smile: ^ yes, i must say, if i tell people i got a bag on ebay, i sometimes get the "is it real ?" of course there are genuine items on the bay, you just have to do your research and know about the item you want to buy if its high end, i've been into Balenciaga for 6 years now, i know what to look for, back in the beginning, my first Bal was a fake from ebay, of course i knew nowt about how to authenticate back then, we live and learn, luckily i got a full refund , i know others haven't been so lucky.

OP and JoyW. Your comments are exactly why the Authenticate this LV thread is useful. There are real items on eBay and there are fake.
There is always a point in querying an item.
Items that are dubious tend to get returned and go round and round. I saw a bag that had an inconclusive result on the Chanel forum. Then today I see the same unique item back up for sale again - same seller. Same lack of photos.

It IS so fraustrating though when they stay up, i always report and keep them on my watched list so i can see if they get taken down, the most recent one stayed up , didn't sell, and is now relisted, what's especially annoying is that the seller won't take paypal , says they're having trouble with their account and will only take cheques or postal orders, so any poor sod who buys it will have next to no recourse.

It is against e-Bay policy not to accept PayPal and also, to allow payment by check or MO. These are no longer approved methods of payment. You can report the listing for these reasons as well. BTW...I have reported fake listings after the item has sold and told e-bay in the report that the listing was reported once and due to their negligence in not taking down a listing with a fake item, they "allowed" a fake bag to be sold and a poor buyer was stuck with a fake bag. Shortly there after the listing was removed. I have done this more than once. What happens in these cases is e-Bay will then contact the buyer and tell them they are not obligated to complete the transaction and to not pay for the item if they have not already done so. If the buyer has made payment, they are given instructions by e-Bay as to how to recoup their payment.

^you can still pay by these means on ebay.uk, i did try to report it for not taking paypal but there was no option.

Oh I didn't notice it was UK e-bay. The option I think is something like "Listing Policy Violaton". Then select "Other Listing Violations".

Last edited: