Replacing vachetta leather and patina...

Feb 29, 2008
Hello All,

I just had the vachetta leather on the top rim of my mono neverfull GM replaced since I had sliced it on an old trunk. The leather is now slightly lighter in color than the rest of the leather. I have wiped the new leather down with water a couple of times and have sprayed it with Appleguard (with the rest of the vachetta covered up) to darken it up a bit, but it's still lighter.

My question to the TPFers is this: if you have had vachetta leather replaced when the rest was still fairly light, does it eventually even out so the difference isn't as noticable?

I have my Speedy B currently in for repairs too since the glaze was coming off the handle. They said they're going to replace the whole handle, so I might have the same problem again with difference in vachetta color! Ugh!

I had brought my friends speedy in to replace a tag that was destroyed. Because we thought it would be mismatched we had the handles, tags, zipper everything replaced. They missed a tag where the lock is held and it looked horrible. They said to give it a week and it would blend-it didn't. Needless to say the bag went back for a new tag

There are pics on here of a woman who had the handles of her Alma (i think) changed but nothing else. She shows pics of how she tanned it to match the rest of her bag.

does anyone else remember this thread? I also think there is a thread dedicated to those who have revived their old LV bags. I'm sure if you did a search, you'd stumble upon many photo's and lots of info.

LV hotstamped the chape on my speedy and had to replace it because they messed up. I was able to "match" the patina with a little baby oil. I don't recommend doing this and I only did it because I planned to sell the bag. It matched perfectly.

The SA recommended leaving it under a light. You could also try wrapping the other parts of the bag and sitting it in a tanning booth to darken the new vachetta.

There are pics on here of a woman who had the handles of her Alma (i think) changed but nothing else. She shows pics of how she tanned it to match the rest of her bag.

does anyone else remember this thread? I also think there is a thread dedicated to those who have revived their old LV bags. I'm sure if you did a search, you'd stumble upon many photo's and lots of info.
LOL! That was my thread and yes it was my Alma!
OP, try tanning it out from direct sun light. Sorry but I would not put baby oil, you could though rub it w/ leather conditioner then let her sun bathe! They also have lots of ideas on FAQ!
Here's the link to my thread!
http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/should-i-replace-the-handles-my-alma-update-711113.html

LOL! That was my thread and yes it was my Alma!
OP, try tanning it out from direct sun light. Sorry but I would not put baby oil, you could though rub it w/ leather conditioner then let her sun bathe! They also have lots of ideas on FAQ!
http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/should-i-replace-the-handles-my-alma-update-711113.html

You and your alma are famous!! :cool:

I think about your story everytime I think about getting new vach for my saumur. It was a great example and I bet your thread saved a lot of people money so they only changed what was needed as opposed to all of the vach.:biggrin:

Hello All,

I just had the vachetta leather on the top rim of my mono neverfull GM replaced since I had sliced it on an old trunk. The leather is now slightly lighter in color than the rest of the leather. I have wiped the new leather down with water a couple of times and have sprayed it with Appleguard (with the rest of the vachetta covered up) to darken it up a bit, but it's still lighter.

My question to the TPFers is this: if you have had vachetta leather replaced when the rest was still fairly light, does it eventually even out so the difference isn't as noticable?

I have my Speedy B currently in for repairs too since the glaze was coming off the handle. They said they're going to replace the whole handle, so I might have the same problem again with difference in vachetta color! Ugh!

Link to FAQ on Patina process! Goodluck OP!
http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton-faqs/patina-faqs-98716.html

You and your alma are famous!! :cool:

I think about your story everytime I think about getting new vach for my saumur. It was a great example and I bet your thread saved a lot of people money so they only changed what was needed as opposed to all of the vach.:biggrin:
Awhh...I'm glad to know that :hugs:
I am extremely happy w/ the decision and atleast now I get to enjoy her again!
I can't believe I almost sold her :nogood:

Attachments

• nf1.jpg
    nf1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 6,878
  • nf2.jpg
    nf2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 6,573
Hello All,

hi. just wondering if you can tell me how much it was to replace the vachetta leather trim? thank you!