Replacing all vach on a speedy .... Worth it??

Keepallboi

O.G.
May 12, 2011
I know this is the wrong place so please guide me to the right spot. But I want to know how much it is to replace the handles and vach on a speedy 40 and if it's even worth it ?? I've found a vintage bag for under $100 but the vach is in terrible condition. Is it worth it or does the canvas determinate over time?

Thanks

I don't think it's worth it. I was told at the LV store that it would be around 500+ to get all my vachetta replaced on my speedy35
I'm sure it would be cheaper just to do the handles however IMO, it would look tacky having. Brand new handles with honey patina piping

My speedy is currently getting the handles replaced (they split and there was no other option) and replacing the interior pocket its $200. I wouldn't replace the piping... its so small I don't think it matters. I'd buy the vintage and replace the handles and tabs. I think that'd be cheaper than buying a newer used speedy.

Roe said:
I don't think it's worth it. I was told at the LV store that it would be around 500+ to get all my vachetta replaced on my speedy35
I'm sure it would be cheaper just to do the handles however IMO, it would look tacky having. Brand new handles with honey patina piping

Omg seriously ?!? That's so much. Ya not worth it. Is just buy new then.

I want a mon mono sorta but I freak out with virgin vach. I am so paranoid about it.

funny your thread came up bc i was just reading the "rescue clubhouse". a lady posted she just replaced everything on her speedy 35 for $440. to me that's worth spending if the canvas and interior is in excellent shape. that would be a deal breaker for me if it's not. otherwise, i would go with the route of buying brand new.

I am thinking about the same. I have the speedy 30 mono ( present from my mother,it was her bag before). The canvas is perfect but the vachetta is a little too dark for me and the leather is a little dry. The $440 (that is about 380 euro, I guess) is a ok price to me because the new bag is more expensive and this bag has a sentimental value to me.

stylishbebe said:
funny your thread came up bc i was just reading the "rescue clubhouse". a lady posted she just replaced everything on her speedy 35 for $440. to me that's worth spending if the canvas and interior is in excellent shape. that would be a deal breaker for me if it's not. otherwise, i would go with the route of buying brand new.

AnaVeronika said:
I am thinking about the same. I have the speedy 30 mono ( present from my mother,it was her bag before). The canvas is perfect but the vachetta is a little too dark for me and the leather is a little dry. The $440 (that is about 380 euro, I guess) is a ok price to me because the new bag is more expensive and this bag has a sentimental value to me.

See 440 plus the cost of the bag ($200 probably) is not worth it !!!! I'd rather just buy it new !!!! But then if I buy new, I'm considering the mon mono. And actually I prefer the mon mono over regular mono. So I think I'm saving for the mon mono unless I find a preloved speedy 40 in good condition that doesn't need vach replacing.

I would try to renew the vach myself (many forums on this!). If you are not satisfied with your result then replace it. I recently clean my speedy handles with a magic clean eraser then I used leather conditioner and I'm pleased with the result.

Is the price of $440 a set price for all different size Speedys? I have a 25 that has dark vachetta and might consider replacing handles, tabs and zipper pull. I saw a vintage Speedy at a consignment store last week. The canvas was kind of beat up, the piping was frayed in spots, the zipper had been replaced so the zipper pull had a light patina. The best thing about the bag was the handles. They were a deep dark patina and almost shiney, like they'd been shellaced.:speedy:

What do you mean the handles "split"?! :wtf: I was planning on buying the mono speedy 35 soon, but now I'm worried!

I've never heard of it happening to anyone's speedy and mine has been used for almost 6 - 7 years straight. So the part where the leather comes together on the handles (where it's heavily "glazed" looking) started to split and I wanted it glued back together. The store manager thought they could do this and just re-glaze it but he called back and they told him they could only replace the handles. At $200, that's fine by me. Sorry if I scared you! Get the speedy, it's totally worth it in my opinion :smile:

BTW, I don't know who started this "it costs $400 something to replace handles" because that's not true! $200 including having the inside pocket replaced.

See 440 plus the cost of the bag ($200 probably) is not worth it !!!! I'd rather just buy it new !!!! But then if I buy new, I'm considering the mon mono. And actually I prefer the mon mono over regular mono. So I think I'm saving for the mon mono unless I find a preloved speedy 40 in good condition that doesn't need vach replacing.

New speedy 40 is 825 plus tax....
well worth spending 400$