Home & Garden Replacement Windows: good and bad experiences

Jesssh

Jan 20, 2012
To those of you who have had windows replaced in your home: How did that go?

I am debating between having glass panes replaced, or biting the bullet and having 3 windows replaced with Andersen 100 series fibrex windows. I don't want to upgrade the windows too much for the house, but I don't want them to leak AT ALL because of the pot-smoking neighbors. :Pullhair:

I have 30 year old aluminum windows now. No complaints, except some need the glass replaced and they are not very attractive. They don't leak outside air into the house, though - no drafts.

Would love to hear your good and bad experiences.

To those of you who have had windows replaced in your home: How did that go?

I am debating between having glass panes replaced, or biting the bullet and having 3 windows replaced with Andersen 100 series fibrex windows. I don't want to upgrade the windows too much for the house, but I don't want them to leak AT ALL because of the pot-smoking neighbors. :Pullhair:

I have 30 year old aluminum windows now. No complaints, except some need the glass replaced and they are not very attractive. They don't leak outside air into the house, though - no drafts.

Would love to hear your good and bad experiences.

Good experience here.

As part of doing a full remodel of our house which was built in 1979, we replaced all original aluminum windows and sliding doors with dual pane energy efficient windows with UV coating. Some of the original windows were leaky, some had broken seals. I live in the mountains with significant winters so addressing the leaks was critical.

While it was a major expense, it was worthwhile IMO since the new windows are a dramatic improvement in insulation, efficiency, aesthetics, and exterior sound blocking when closed.

We did our research for local providers and were very pleased with the vendor and their installers. IIRC they did the installation in 2 days.

I'd bite the bullet and go for the new windows. GL!

Good experience here.

As part of doing a full remodel of our house which was built in 1979, we replaced all original aluminum windows and sliding doors with dual pane energy efficient windows with UV coating. Some of the original windows were leaky, some had broken seals. I live in the mountains with significant winters so addressing the leaks was critical.

While it was a major expense, it was worthwhile IMO since the new windows are a dramatic improvement in insulation, efficiency, aesthetics, and exterior sound blocking when closed.

We did our research for local providers and were very pleased with the vendor and their installers. IIRC they did the installation in 2 days.

I'd bite the bullet and go for the new windows. GL!

Thanks redney! Did you have dual-paned windows before? I already have dual-paned windows.

Just got an estimate from Home Depot for an average of $800 per window after discount (andersen 100 series).

Thanks redney! Did you have dual-paned windows before? I already have dual-paned windows.

Just got an estimate from Home Depot for an average of $800 per window after discount (andersen 100 series).

Yes, the original windows were dual-paned. I believe it's required in the building code in my area due to our local weather conditions.

I don't recall what the cost was for each window. Our windows vary, from double-hung to casement to sliders, depending on room.

Shop around, you might be able to get a better price on Andersen or other manufacturers (Pella, etc)

We replaced aluminum windows last year and it has been great. The front of the house got new siding so we did new build windows. The back of the house is stucco so we used retrofit windows.

If we could go back in time we would do new build windows on all of them. The retrofit are fine but one did leak due to improper sealing. Also, I don't like the way the retrofit window frames look on the inside. Retrofit is definitely cheaper though if you aren't doing other work on the house.

The biggest difference I noticed is sound! I could hear everything through our old aluminum frames. I love the reduction in sound from the outside.

a few years ago, we replaced the majority of the windows in our house (built in the early 80's) with energy efficient double hung windows. there was definitely a noticeable difference in efficiency and noise reduction. I do have to say the double hung windows are annoying for me to close though (since i'm only 5'3) because I have to open the bottom and top and push them in opposite directions in order to lock them and get that tight seal. if not, the windows don't actually lock.

we used a local company that custom fits and builds the windows instead of buying other manufacturer's closest size and making them fit. I can't remember the cost, but I do remember the company had a great price matching policy, so I was able to get a competitor (with a similar but inferior product) to come out and give me a price, and the better local company matched the low price.

Thanks everyone!

Can you tell me if your replacement windows are composite, fiberglass or vinyl?

My current windows are aluminum which are on the strong side compared to composite or vinyl, according to most of the people I've talked to.

Yes, the original windows were dual-paned. I believe it's required in the building code in my area due to our local weather conditions.

I don't recall what the cost was for each window. Our windows vary, from double-hung to casement to sliders, depending on room.

Shop around, you might be able to get a better price on Andersen or other manufacturers (Pella, etc)

We replaced aluminum windows last year and it has been great. The front of the house got new siding so we did new build windows. The back of the house is stucco so we used retrofit windows.

If we could go back in time we would do new build windows on all of them. The retrofit are fine but one did leak due to improper sealing. Also, I don't like the way the retrofit window frames look on the inside. Retrofit is definitely cheaper though if you aren't doing other work on the house.

The biggest difference I noticed is sound! I could hear everything through our old aluminum frames. I love the reduction in sound from the outside.

a few years ago, we replaced the majority of the windows in our house (built in the early 80's) with energy efficient double hung windows. there was definitely a noticeable difference in efficiency and noise reduction. I do have to say the double hung windows are annoying for me to close though (since i'm only 5'3) because I have to open the bottom and top and push them in opposite directions in order to lock them and get that tight seal. if not, the windows don't actually lock.

we used a local company that custom fits and builds the windows instead of buying other manufacturer's closest size and making them fit. I can't remember the cost, but I do remember the company had a great price matching policy, so I was able to get a competitor (with a similar but inferior product) to come out and give me a price, and the better local company matched the low price.

This was a helpful post. I need to replace the windows in the master bedroom. Inefficient, fogging up/condensation and NOISY (or could just be neighbors who love to have late night chat fests outside bother me).

I will try to do some shopping around online and get some referrals. It'll be my first home improvement project. Then I have to replace the hideous floral wallpaper in the bathrooms...

Be sure to shop for windows with a good warranty. I know several who've replaced their windows and 5-10 years down the windows were leaking and the warranty wasn't all that hot.

My mom for instance. When we looked at her warranty we found that the manufacturer would only replace the glass, which the customer would need to pay shipping for, and the company that installed the windows was long gone. Totally useless warranty.

I've heard some say that one should go with only Pelle or Anderson windows.

I wish the previous owners of our house hadn't replaced some of the original aluminum windows with vinyl -- they were ugly and didn't go with the style of the house. We replaced them with new aluminum windows and have been happy with that.

Thanks everyone!

Can you tell me if your replacement windows are composite, fiberglass or vinyl?

My current windows are aluminum which are on the strong side compared to composite or vinyl, according to most of the people I've talked to.
ours are vinyl. i don't mind the look, but i can see how someone who may have an older or more historic home might not like it. our vinyl windows are super easy to clean, and we've had no wear and tear issues. no staining or discoloration, no rust, no peeling, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Today I'm leaning toward repairing the window and upgrading the hardware on the glass door. I like the look of my aluminum windows better than what I saw in fiberglass, and I sort of got talked out of composite.

Right now I'm loving the idea of aluminum on the outside and wood on the inside (thanks redney!) but if I go to that expense, I'll want consistency throughout the house, especially with the glass color, and that becomes an expensive, low priority project. My energy costs are not very high and the seals are effective which is vital right now - no noticable outside air coming in.

In the meantime, I'll educate myself on windows. The big home show in February usually has a lot of window vendors and it's a fun show, so now I'll have a good exuse to go.

Oh, do any of you know of some designs I can look at to trim out the window? I want to trim/frame the interior of the existing windows in white painted wood.

I'd like a traditional design (cape cod?) but very simple to blend with everything else in the house which is shaker. I will probably use 5" cove moulding for the ceiling instead of crown moulding. So a few curves, rounded edges, or bevels are probably ok. I don't want it to be too curvy or too linear or too chunky. Just normal thick-ish white painted wood framing.

TIA!

OK, found some water spots between the glass on my sliding door, which I have wanted to replace for ages. Instead of upgrading the hardware, I went to Home Depot and picked out a Jeld Wen wood door with aluminum cladding on the exterior. (The other option was Andersen, But I like the Jeld Wen glass color better.)

Now I am trying to find reviews on Jeld Wen W-4500 slider. I can't find ANYTHING except one star general reviews which seems skewed. I'll go take another detailed look at the door in store before I buy. I liked the features over Andersen and I'll take a closer look at the workmanship of both doors. But the glass color was a big deal to me. Jeld Wen looked more gray, Andersen more green, but I can't really say for sure. Jeld Wen also had a triple point lock, which sounds like a good thing but the one in the store didn't work properly (I assume there were alignment issues).

Also I would have Home Depot be responsible for the whole thing, and they know me there, so they are eager to please. I'm less concerned about the manufacturer service - hoping the door does not break so I don't have to deal with it. The door is 6' off the ground off a deck so it will not get as dirty or exposed as a ground level door.

Any advice?