Repairing Vintage Leather Dior Saddle

Aug 24, 2020
I am new to PurseForum and just received my first Dior piece - this vintage Dior saddle from 2004. I have cleaned it thoroughly with baby wipes, but am noticing these dark speckles on the front are not coming out. With closer inspection, I see they are tiny scratches or indentations in the leather with dirt in them. I rubbed with the baby wipe and was able to get some of the dirt out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove these marks/repair the indents?

Also, if anyone knows what this material is called/has photos of this Dior Saddle I would really appreciate it! It feels like smooth calfskin and is a really light tan leather color with silver hardware.

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Toronto
I am new to PurseForum and just received my first Dior piece - this vintage Dior saddle from 2004. I have cleaned it thoroughly with baby wipes, but am noticing these dark speckles on the front are not coming out. With closer inspection, I see they are tiny scratches or indentations in the leather with dirt in them. I rubbed with the baby wipe and was able to get some of the dirt out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove these marks/repair the indents?

Also, if anyone knows what this material is called/has photos of this Dior Saddle I would really appreciate it! It feels like smooth calfskin and is a really light tan leather color with silver hardware.

View attachment 4827863

View attachment 4827864
I don't know what the material is exactly, but it looks like nubuck. If this is nubuck, then these water-stains cannot fully be removed, unfortunately.

Aug 24, 2020
I don't know what the material is exactly, but it looks like nubuck. If this is nubuck, then these water-stains cannot fully be removed, unfortunately.

This bag is definitely not nubuck or any suede material. It is a smooth leather, but am not sure if it is an untreated calfskin leather meant to patina over time or if it is a treated leather. The spots in the photo are not water stains, I have already removed all of the water stains these are tiny scratches or dents in the leather. I hope that helps! I can try to post closer photos

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Toronto
This bag is definitely not nubuck or any suede material. It is a smooth leather, but am not sure if it is an untreated calfskin leather meant to patina over time or if it is a treated leather. The spots in the photo are not water stains, I have already removed all of the water stains these are tiny scratches or dents in the leather. I hope that helps! I can try to post closer photos
It is unusual for scratches to darken the leather. If anything, they usually remove the surface colour to reveal a lighter hide-colour beneath. Hopefully another member can help you with this as this is beyond me.

Aug 24, 2020
It is unusual for scratches to darken the leather. If anything, they usually remove the surface colour to reveal a lighter hide-colour beneath. Hopefully another member can help you with this as this is beyond me.
I agree it is very odd. I noticed some dirt inside these scratches/holes and was able to remove some of the dirt from the larger holes, but most of these holes are too small to remove the dirt inside. I wonder if it is a shadow from the depth making it appear darker, the holes are tiny but deep.

Aug 24, 2020
Here are more closeup photos of the scratches/holes in natural light - anyone able to help me out with a good idea on repairing this? When I run my finger over these dark spots, I can feel the scratches/holes. If I shine light on them I can see they are deep but very tiny, as you can see size compared to a stitch. Any help or ideas would be really appreciated! I am thinking either some type of leather cream to fill in the holes or darkening the color of the bag?

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg